Anal Glands?

Hi there,

Should you only feel the "pea" size lumps of the anal glands if they need "doing"? I can't feel Sal's, but she scoots now and then mainly only around other dogs tho, not at home :confused: She's a meduim size Kelpie and has had some spring allergies the vet said "could be anything." The beach is better to her skin than the park.

Hi there,

Should you only feel the "pea" size lumps of the anal glands if they need "doing"? I can't feel Sal's, but she scoots now and then mainly only around other dogs tho, not at home :confused: She's a meduim size Kelpie and has had some spring allergies the vet said "could be anything." The beach is better to her skin than the park.

:( ANyone out there??

hi, im out there. lol

sounds like the vet isn't much help, i usually do anal glands when im bathing my toy dogs i haven't ever attempted to clean kelpie sized dogs.

the vet (and finding a knowledgable one is half the battle it seems) should know more about how to tackle this issue, i tell all my puppy buyers to see a vet first before you attempt to do this yourself. i wouldn't want to go to a vet for him to tell me "it could be anything" i could stay home and tell myself that or get my mother to tell me that without paying any money :laugh: sorry but thats not good enough to tell a client that.

ETA: usually they will scoot when the glands are uncomfortable and full or usually if you are too late, they will erupt which is not pleasant for the dog.

Edited by toy*dog

Guest lavendergirl

I agree with Toy Dog - the vet should have had a look to see if they were full and/or inflamed. If they need expressing you are better off getting the vet to do this - my vet only charges $20. If she is scooting chances are that they need doing.

I agree with Toy Dog - the vet should have had a look to see if they were full and/or inflamed. If they need expressing you are better off getting the vet to do this - my vet only charges $20. If she is scooting chances are that they need doing.

OK, so it is likely to be this other than a grass allergy? Just thought I would have been able to feel at least the "Pea" size lump. No other people with bigger than toy dog sizes I talk to at the park (many dogs) have had this problem. To be fair to the vet, Sal had itchy issues and its not just the bum thats irritated :(

Might call a groomer, as the toy dog peoples say they do a good job ??

Did you actually take the dog to the vet?

Just asking because we get people calling up all the time asking about scooting. I generally have to say "it could be anything, you need to bring them in so the vet can have a look and determine the cause". The Vets and nurses don't generally ave time to go through a long differential list with clients over the phone unfortunately.

Dogs with allergies such as atopic dermatitis and food allergy can scoot due to the allergy.

My dog sometimes does this and I;ve check her for worms and her anal glands are fine- she also has atopy, so presumably this is part of the itchiness the disease causes :(

Did the vet actually to a physical examination? They should easily be able to tell if the anal glands are full or inflamed.

Edited by aussielover

Guest lavendergirl

OK, so it is likely to be this other than a grass allergy? Just thought I would have been able to feel at least the "Pea" size lump. No other people with bigger than toy dog sizes I talk to at the park (many dogs) have had this problem. To be fair to the vet, Sal had itchy issues and its not just the bum thats irritated :(

Might call a groomer, as the toy dog peoples say they do a good job ??

Not necessarily :) Most only do it as part of a full groom and some don't do it at all. The vet will be just as cheap and it will be done properly. Only the vet can confirm what the problem is.

Sometimes bitches will 'scoot' after they pee .. to wipe themselves ..

they will also scoot sometimes if they have irritation in the vulva...

a vet check first .. then worry ;)

Thanks for the replies, esp to you persephone that makes sense Sal sometimes "drips" a bit of pee when she's very tired.

Yes, Aussie, I took her to a vet, but at the time I was more concerned about the general itchiness,I just thought the occassional scooting was not very often and quite normal.After a look over he said it was most likely a seasonal allergy. But since then, she has been doing it a bit more but notably more at the park. I just wondered about the anal glans because it was mentioned to me (as well as the "she's got worms!" comments :laugh: )at the park.

I will have her looked at that spot on next visit, I was really asking I suppose, if the anal glands are in need of expelling, would you feel any raised area.

You will feel how full they are if you do a digital examination ( ie stick your finger up the rectum).

It is not something I would recommend if you haven't done it before but can easily be taught to owners by a vet or vet nurse if they are willing...

The only time you will see/smell anything is if they are really full and "leaking" or infected.

Jacqui- most dogs don't need their anal glands attended to (thank god)

Usually the pressure of the faeces causes regular emptying of the anal glands.

A healthy diet and good pelvic/perineal conformation usually means that that there won't be any problems.

You don't necessarily feel a 'pea sized lump'. Anal glands can also just be a bit puffy.

I have one older girl who needs to have hers done every 2 weeks, otherwise she starts licking that area. She is on a special diet so it has to be done manually.

Our vet does it for $7 which I think is cheap but it is easier do it myself when I wash her. That way I can wash the smell away quickly.

You will feel how full they are if you do a digital examination ( ie stick your finger up the rectum).

It is not something I would recommend if you haven't done it before but can easily be taught to owners by a vet or vet nurse if they are willing...

The only time you will see/smell anything is if they are really full and "leaking" or infected.

Jacqui- most dogs don't need their anal glands attended to (thank god)

Usually the pressure of the faeces causes regular emptying of the anal glands.

A healthy diet and good pelvic/perineal conformation usually means that that there won't be any problems.

That is good news indeed. There is nothing I wouldn't do for Sammy but well obviously some tasks are more attractive than others...

Sometimes bitches will 'scoot' after they pee .. to wipe themselves ..

they will also scoot sometimes if they have irritation in the vulva...

a vet check first .. then worry ;)

Thanks for the replies, esp to you persephone that makes sense Sal sometimes "drips" a bit of pee when she's very tired.

Yes, Aussie, I took her to a vet, but at the time I was more concerned about the general itchiness,I just thought the occassional scooting was not very often and quite normal.After a look over he said it was most likely a seasonal allergy. But since then, she has been doing it a bit more but notably more at the park. I just wondered about the anal glans because it was mentioned to me (as well as the "she's got worms!" comments :laugh: )at the park.

I will have her looked at that spot on next visit, I was really asking I suppose, if the anal glands are in need of expelling, would you feel any raised area.

You won't necessarily feel the anal glands are full so they may need doing and the "she's got worms" could also be valid. Sometimes the combined wormers fail to kill tapeworm, so it is a good idea to treat ccasionally with Droncit, just for tapeworm as the segments from the flea tapeworm will make the anus itchy and cause scooting.