Animal Abuse Registry?

sandgrubber

Albany County looking to create animal abuse registry

Posted: Sep 21, 2011 12:56 PM PDT c_fv_tl.gifhttp://www.wten.com/story/15517304/albany-county-looking-to-create-animal-abuse-registry

ALBANY, N.Y. - Albany County is looking to be the second county statewide to create an animal abuse registry.

The legislation to create a registry of convicted animal abusers was introduced Wednesday by Albany County Legislator Bryan Clenahan.

The only other New York county to have such registry is Suffolk County, which was the nation's first animal abuse registry.

The law would say that anyone convicted of animal cruelty in Albany County would need to register giving their name, current address, photograph and pay an annual fee to the Sheriff's Department.

One conviction would put the abuser on the registry for ten years; two convictions would put the abuser on the registry for life.

The Mohawk Hudson Humane Society would also maintain the database which would be accessible to animal shelters, pet stores and breeders in Albany County.

Anyone who sold or adopted a pet to a person in the database would be fined.

"This is an essential step forward for protecting animals in Albany County," Brad Shear, Executive Director of the Mohawk Hudson Humane Society, said. He continued, "The state's penalties for animal abusers are minimal at best. After a short period of time, abusers can start getting animals again. The registry will help prevent abusers from finding new victims."

There will be a public hearing for the law on Tuesday, September 27 at 7:15pm at the County Legislative Offices, 112 State Street, for members of the public to attend.

I very much doubt it would work, given that animals can be found for free everywhere and wandering the streets. Being on a registry does nothing to stop sex offenders from reoffending, why would it be any different for those who abuse animals.

Yep I agree and not all people who are convicted are also not able to own an animals anyway.Its a requirement put on them via the court if the court deems it par of their punishment and lots of them are either not restricted or restricted for only a short period of time.

In theory, it's a good idea. In practice.. not so much.

I actually know one of the people listed for Tasmania on one of those databases and the care he takes of his animals could never be faulted. The RSPCA (as I'm sure we all know) is not always right and they can cause terrible damage to someone's reputation without a register, nevermind having people recording it all and posting it publically, giving the "offending" party no chance to defend themselves.

I suppose like anything, there are the pros/cons.

It'll probably deter -some- but most certainly not all offenders. Most offenders do not have consciences anyway.

I just think harsher punishments should actually be handed out to those who are actually guilty. Rather than just handing out a few fines here and there to anyone they suspect to be guilty.