Don't Forget To Use Your Sliders In Lightroom

kja

I was messing about this morning and thought maybe this would be useful to some others who might not have played with it before. I can't remember that we've talked much about this so I do apologise if we've been here, done this already!

Lightroom is an essential tool for editing your photos, imho. Even if you really don't want to "edit". It's amazingly powerful and oh so easy to tweak. I was preparing an image of my cat Lobo and trying to get the black and white to do what I needed it to do when I had my "must share with DOL" moment.

All I've done is manipulate the Temperature and Tint sliders in Lightroom to give slightly different feels to the end BW. So many people I know don't remember to use those two sliders when dealing with a BW/monotone image, but they can really make a difference (hopefully you can see the subtleties in the top two, the bottom two are easier to see).

Anyhoo - hope it helps someone or at least gives you something to play with :)

slider1.jpg

Crazy -

I knew there was something that made this go "ding" in my tiny brain! I'm looking forward to your BWs!

And that's exactly what I was going for in the processing, too - he was mightily grumpy coz Boof had just kicked his ass and Boof is the lowest kitteh in the household. :rofl:

oh sorry, it was just an unrelated rant about not having lightroom anymore, only ps element8, with which I've found doing black and white's very unsatisfactory ... and wondering whether using the sliders in ps elements8 would help, although it is set up very different and I'm not even sure I'd be able to find the right kind of thing, I know there's red/blue/green and contrast sliders, and I guess that would be the closest thing, but I really don't know? I so wish I had lightroom back

... see, not really relevant to the topic at hand, hence the edit ... but left the :cool: 'cause I can see the differences between your Lobo shots, and I like :D

I lost LR2 when my computer went belly-up a few months ago, and everytime I've gone to buy LR3 recently I've been wopped by an unexpected bill, like my hot water system bust a couple of weeks ago just when I'd set up a deal to share the cost with my mum, I'm financially up shit creek atm, and with Christmas coming I can't see any light in the tunnel, I know it isn't that expensive, but I just can't justify it, I figured too that it might give me a chance to learn how to use elements a little better, but I really don't enjoy editing the way I used to with lightroom. I will get it again, maybe in the New Year.

i am installing Lightroom right now and can't wait to play with it. I had the beta version of it when it was available and really liked it, looking forward to exploring it more now.

We got it for a bargain price. Hubby is studying and taking an elective in photoshop so was getting CS5.5 extended for uni and it was only $30 extra to get lightroom as well. Unfortunately 5.5 is for Mac only but the Lightroom disc is suitable for Macs and PCs so I can install it on my computer :)