Bark Collars

spanky

We're travelling around Australia in a caravan and this means our two French bulldogs are tagging along with us.

Our female is a very alert (read pain in the arse) dog and barks at random noises, people walking past, the sound of people talking... well you get the idea. She is really over the top and we are concerned she will get us kicked out of places we're staying.

I'm getting her tested for an over-active thyroid in the hope it sheds some light on her behaviour. Maybe treatment will bring her alertness down a little.

Anyway, we are considering a bark collar. Can anyone suggest a good brand / type. We're thinking a spray collar, but would a shock or ultrasound collar be better?

With luck this will be a short-term measure as we work on her underlying behaviours.

Have tried all three, ultrasonic was useless, spray worked for a week than they would set it off to get the spray :rofl: so useless after a week. Zapp collar works well but we have to have one with a strong zapp. One dog outsmarted the zapp collar by barking once setting off the tone, continued on with that until the battery was worn out than into the barking again so we do go through quite a few batteries but it does work.

She hates being sprayed with water. I'm cautious about zappy ones as she has anxiety issues... hence the barking.... and I don't want to make that worse.

I've asked her behaviourist for guidance. Just wanted to get an idea on peoples experience with them, so we don't waste our money.

I'm really concerned about the word "Zapp" as the one I used on my German Shepherd has a electronic stimulation to the muscle and is more of a "thump" that will increase up to 6 levels before shutting off. It is an "Alert" override whereas if the dog is alert barking due to intruders etc. it will shut off. It is a muscle stimulation and NOT a shock.

I'm really concerned about the word "Zapp" as the one I used on my German Shepherd has a electronic stimulation to the muscle and is more of a "thump" that will increase up to 6 levels before shutting off. It is an "Alert" override whereas if the dog is alert barking due to intruders etc. it will shut off. It is a muscle stimulation and NOT a shock.

I'm aware that it's not a zap and works more like a remote collar, but it is an easy way to describe what I mean.

How does the collar determine the difference between the dog barking at intruders, the dog barking at the people next door (the problem I had), and the dog barking at people walking past and the dog barking at the dogs next door? My boys' bark sounded the same all the time and drove us all crazy, the collar I used gave a tingle (I felt it when I inserted the battery and accidentally triggered it) and it wasn't painful but more of a "surprise"......in that it was something the dog wouldn't have felt before. It worked within a half-day of using it, it was fantastic.

Very dependant on the dog, some soft dogs you can get away with ultra sonic ones.

I have a foster dog that a Vibration bark collar is enough.

I think the best one out there is: http://www.k9pro.com.au/products/Dogtra-YS300-Electronic-Anti-Bark-Collar.html it has static levels and vibration levels.

Obviously check your states laws and regulations about using static collars.

How does the collar determine the difference between the dog barking at intruders, the dog barking at the people next door (the problem I had), and the dog barking at people walking past and the dog barking at the dogs next door?

A bark is a bark, there is no way a collar can tell the difference, however they are are collars with different sensitivity levels.

The one I used had 8 levels and they ramped up if the dog didn't stop barking within a few seconds. And if it started again within a few seconds it would go up again. I think the dog had to be quiet for 3 minutes for the collar to reset to the lowest level.

it worked on one dog, on another it has no effect whatsoever. So I tried a very expensive remote controlled collar which had even higher levels and that didn't work either. He is just impervious to that particular stim, although he's not a particularly hard dog.....just noisy sometimes.

I'm aware that it's not a zap and works more like a remote collar, but it is an easy way to describe what I mean.

Well, I've touched an electric fence by mistake and accidentally triggered an electronic collar while I was holding it, and guess what? It was exactly the same feeling. A zap. It's a mild electric shock.