Thunder Shirt - Amazing

Isabel964

Thanks to DOLers, when I posted about my kelpie shaking and panting and stressing and smothering me at the slightest sound of thunder these days (she is 10), I ordered a thunder shirt. It came and I have used it twice this week and instead of leaning on me with as much of shaking body touching me as possible, she settled on her bed about 1 metre away from me and just lay there, no shaking no panting.....just brilliant. And the shirt are so nice, kind of a wrap shirt, very nice material, easy to put on and get off - a brilliant product. Thanks guys for your advice :thumbsup:

i've thought about getting one of these but spider has a dislike to anything around his chest be it jackets for rainy weather or various harnesses we've tried, and yes we have tried both the slow and steady treat treat treat approach and just putting it straight on him, both with no avail. the next time you get that product out he backs away and avoids it!

What about around his tummy?

The Thunder Shirt wraps around the tummy and then it does velco around the front. But maybe you could have the velcro loose....or cut off the front two velcro straps. That said...I suspect that not having the front velcro done up might make the shirt less effective. I bought mine from 'waggle' http://waggle.com.au/. They are just lovely people so don't hesitate to give them a call to discuss that idea if you'd like to.

They're great aren't they?! We got one for a pup who got anxiety in the car which meant he barked and whined continuously. He now goes dopey in the shirt and just curls up and sleeps the whole time.. was very useful when they are sick also.

Congrats on finding something that helps your girl!

They are purely magical.

I admit that I thought I bet my dog is one it doesn't help....I was wrong. Its only thundered lightly though so far, so the real test will be a big thunderstorm. Even if it isn't great during a massive thunderstorm, it will help - and for any help I am grateful.

I don't think we have enough thunderstorms here to get one, lol! After three years of having Tonka, only last week when I was at a friends place with big windows during a storm did Tonka freak out a bit. My place is quite protected, small windows etc.

Hey, how do you reckon they have such a calming effect?? It sounds amazing!

Guest lavendergirl

Depends on what you are using it for. Works for a lot of dogs with storm phobia - not so much for other anxiety conditions.

Guest lavendergirl

Malamum - I was just making a general comment :)

Wantsapup - it is basically just a snug fitting wrap around jacket. Thats why some people get some of the same effect by using a snug t-shirt.

Hasn't made much of a difference here either. He is perhaps slightly calmer but still a panicky, stressing mess at a hint of thunder.

To be honest the most effective thing we've found so far is turning the TV up really loud to drown out the sound!