Susan Garrett Recallers

I signed up on Monday 28/11 and it was $399.82 through PayPal for the Brilliant level. I'm really looking forward to starting! Obedience school finishes up tomorrow night so it'll be good to have something with structure to keep us training throughout the summer :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is everyone going?

We are having a ball. All 3 puppies are really enjoying the games (we've played them all before, but to have them explained this way is much better!)

I've already started seeing an improvement in my 'project' dog Wikki - more attentative and drivier when we are playing. I think it is less about the course and more about how the course is reminding me not to be lazy in my training!

Enjoying the content :thumbsup:

Bit behind though. Need to get OH on board for Call Once (he doesn't like to help - will be a challenge), doing it on my own atm which is great but he cottons on and won't leave me alone. Luke is too young to help but is a good distraction :laugh: . Finding the time to start Crate Games is going to be hard. Weekends are the obvious time but crazy time of year - between Friday and Wednesday I have 5 Xmas parties :eek:

There's so much to read! I'm trying to print it all out sneakily at work, and I also need to get a ring binder to put it all in. It's not suspicious at all that I have a giant pile of dog-related papers on my desk :p

We are having fun playing Collar Grab and It's Yer Choice. We're also working on Crate Games, which I really need to focus on because we'll be flying to Adelaide in less than two weeks and I want Chloe to be a happily crated puppy by then!

I also need to rope my OH into playing Call Once with me. I've just been playing it randomly. I've noticed that she ALWAYS comes when I'm in the kitchen... she must know that's where the food is!

This morning we were in the park doing the RZ exercise with the 3 dogs and puppy did what I think Susan calls and 'inappropriate rehearsal in real life'.

She stole the treats out off the bench where she was tethered. Guess we have a little more IYC to play. :rofl:

Can't wait tonight to play the Kids in the Hall game. I have a nasty feeling I'm going to get mugged!

Oh - my work is being very helpful with printing also! ;)

Edited by Agility Dogs

LOL about naughty Wikki - she must have been channeling Aunty Kirra - any unguarded food is fair game - unless we're playing a formal IYc LOL - Big bro Rory is a bit more trustworthy :laugh:

I'm getting behind wit my games - although thye have done some before, so we can catch up. Two more busy weeks at work before the Christmas hols - and the non-work time I'm trying to attack head high grass - now if only Susan could work out how to teach the dogs to work a mower or brushcutter :rofl:

I'm having trouble getting the RZ on the right side - will have to look at the FAQs. Ziva's used to being in heel position, but "march" (which is what I am planning to call the RHS) is a little difficult - she keeps trying to flip around in front.

Does anyone's dog try to anticipate when playing Call Once? I think I need a third person to get involved so we can make it more random.

I read somewhere in the Forum or the Comments that if the dog is going to Person B before they're called, then Person A can call them back again to make it less predictable. But a third person would also work too... and I'd imagine that it would also build value for the dog's name being called by someone other than you or your OH :)

I'm having trouble getting the RZ on the right side - will have to look at the FAQs. Ziva's used to being in heel position, but "march" (which is what I am planning to call the RHS) is a little difficult - she keeps trying to flip around in front.

Does anyone's dog try to anticipate when playing Call Once? I think I need a third person to get involved so we can make it more random.

There is something in the FAQ's about the dog flipping around to the front- I didn't really read it because its not an issue we have encountered (plenty of others!).

Wikki was anticipating so we used the first person to call her back again. Works quite well. I'd love to involve a third person at some point as well.

Hi stonecutter, can Ziva be put in a sit from your left side and stay there while you move around so she is now on your right? then you can give her lots of treats once you change sides to start building value for being on your right. Susan would just say that she is telling you that there is tons of value for being on the left and none for the right, so it is just a matter of getting her to see the value is also on the right.

For call once, I find my dogs anticipate comming back to me much more than the other person, as they have lots of value for me and not as much for whomever else I am playing with, so that they almost always reset back to me when playing which sort of spoilt the fun of the game, so in the end I decided it was best to just get the person who called him to maintain the collar grab until the next person has called preventing the dog predicting any calls or comming to me until called.

I'm finding it interesting so far, and I'm surprised at how quickly the dogs have responded. Pixie has never been crate trained, yet after only 2 tries at crate games she now runs into the crate and will sit before I open the door. Not as much drive as I'd like, but she's getting there pretty quick. Obi didn't have heel on cue, he will sometimes offer it on the left though because I have rewarded him there a few times. So I started the RZ on the right, and at first I thought there is no way this will work as quickly as SG suggested, but after 4-5 short sessions over 2 days, he's now offering a sit on both sides of me, and will move with me one step and stop in the RZ.

When I first read what we had to do I thought it seemed over-simplified, like a lot of trainers tend to do, and there is no way it would be as quick and easy as that. But it has been, the dogs are responding really quickly, and the steps are really easy to follow.

Edited by fuzzy82

We are doing well with It's Yer Choice. I think that's our strongest game so far. We are a little behind with Crate Games though. I got the DVD a few months ago but we never worked on it properly. We are trying to work with a new airline crate, but she doesn't seem to like it very much. She's much more comfortable with her bigger wire crate.

This weekend we will have to do lots of Call Once, we'll be at my sister's so I'll have a (hopefully) willing volunteer.

Interesting week one of Recallers.

In review.......

1. My dog training is crap. I am lazy, I need to focus on foundations of dog training far more. Not foundation skills of the dogs, my skills - doing the simple stuff right and not cutting corners and making sure I pay 110% attention to my dog.

2. When I do focus on this the performance of the dogs is significantly better than what it has been.

3. My dogs value me far more than they do OH :laugh: , but we are working on that.

4. Only very high level distractions are an issue and even then it depends on the game.

5. I need to have more fun with our training and not be so serious about it.

6. I should practice mechanics of rewarding sans dogs.

All in all I think the course is going to be VERY valuable as a reminder, but also to give me a really cool structure to build Wikki's drive. Roll on Week 2.

I realised that when I get my next dog, the early months are going to be VERY busy :laugh: with getting pup to tug in all environments, overcoming DWDH and the foundation work such as this course provides. Kinda glad I get to practice it all on Kaos first! And yes, having more fun and not taking training too seriously is on my list too!