My Dog Is Friendly

dancinbcs

The stupids can still be stupid on lead. Whilst walking both of mine on lead the other day I didn't like the body language of an approaching dog so I very obviously veered out of the way. The stupid then proceeded to move towards me asking if they could say ok. Their dog's hackles were up at this stage!

As the article says if someone is trying to give their dog space and obviously moving away don't frigging follow them!

In total contrast was the guy this week with 2 huskies. He actually thanked me when I got mine off the path and sitting. Not one of his or my dogs looked even remotely like causing trouble but I would rather avoid incidents.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm getting to be a grumpy old fart. But I remember a day when dogs worked things out for themselves. Puppies got disciplined by older dogs for too much bouncing up to their elders. They learned respect. Some elders were too vicious, or didn't get socialized enough when young, and had to be kept in back yards or on leash.

There are zillions of places where dogs can be walked on lead. If your dog is intolerant of stupidity, walk it somewhere where 'stupids' are required to be on lead. The law is an ass, and legislators can't write in this kind of subtleties. But they're worth having.

Can't dog parks be preserved as a place where puppies can play, make mistakes, get growled at and occasionally get an ear torn, and people be a bit forgiving of differences in temperament and the need to learn by trial and error?

GRUMP GRUMP GRUMP GRUMP!!!! (no smileys)

I agree to an extent :) I do take my dogs to dog parks, and I think they were great when my girl was a puppy as she learnt a lot. We rarely had issues with aggressive dogs. My dogs both accept that they will get told off by both other dogs and people if they misbehave. These days I still go, but only if I trust the dogs that are in there at the time.

The issue for us has come when actual aggressive dogs have been taken off leash. They don't "tell off" for bad behaviour, they simply floor anything that gets in their way. Even dogs that are minding their own business on leash. My girl has been approached by off leash dogs, submitted to them, and been quite viciously attacked. Her temperament is just too soft to deal with that anymore and she has started to see any dog approaching off leash, while she is on leash, as a threat :(

I'm getting to be a grumpy old fart. But I remember a day when dogs worked things out for themselves. Puppies got disciplined by older dogs for too much bouncing up to their elders. They learned respect. Some elders were too vicious, or didn't get socialized enough when young, and had to be kept in back yards or on leash.

There are zillions of places where dogs can be walked on lead. If your dog is intolerant of stupidity, walk it somewhere where 'stupids' are required to be on lead. The law is an ass, and legislators can't write in this kind of subtleties. But they're worth having.

Can't dog parks be preserved as a place where puppies can play, make mistakes, get growled at and occasionally get an ear torn, and people be a bit forgiving of differences in temperament and the need to learn by trial and error?

Everything I've written about has occurred when walking along the footpath on a suburban street where it is the law for all dogs to be on leash.

I never ever go anywhere near off leash areas.

If you want your off leash dog to work things out with my on leash dog I can guarantee you that your dog will come off second best and it won't be pretty.

But these days any injury ends up at the vets and a declaration of a dangerous dog. If everyone went there and was responsible (so kept aggressive dogs out) and everyone accepted that accidents happen then yes this could work. But that isn't what I have seen.

I don't go to offlead parks after a few not so happy occasions so my intolerance has all come from walking in on lead areas. I can't actually walk my dog at the moment- I would be able to take him for a walk physically but I know on just about every walk I will meet someone with an off lead dog so I need to be able to restrain him as well as keep the other dog away and I am not physically capable. So my poor DINOS has to sit in the back yard (ok my bed but back yard is more dramatic) because people can't respect our personal space. Thankfully someone is coming over this afternoon to give him his first walk in a week!! There is actually an off lead dog park 10min walk down the rd but nope they are too lazy and let their dog 'be social' with mine in an on lead area!!

That is a great poster. Despite being friendly- my dogs do not appreciate rude dogs making a beeline for them, and neither do i!

I also think that once you own a small dog- you gain an appreciation for why owners of small dogs are cautious, if you did not have one before. There is no margin of error with a small dog. My 22kg ACD was nearly killed by 2 dogs- if that had been my 6kg JRT he would have been dead in a few seconds.

Yes, Cosmolo. This is so true. As an owner of a small dog in need of space, I'll do whatever is necessary to protect her even if it means doing what I know is not conducive to our behaviour modification efforts ie. picking her up. There are so many offlead dog and so many owners around here that have no clue. I have picked her up and I will continue to pick her up in situations I feel it necessary... I usually try and pick her up before she evens notices the dog if possible (very hard to do, but I've learnt to be very vigilant.)

I may never get her over her DA issues with strange dogs (working well with friends' dogs :)) but I'd rather live with that than have a dead dog because of some selfish individual who thinks all dogs should play.

I've actually never had her hurt another dog (although she did bail up my friend's dog once and that made me feel awful enough, although it was minor and it was mostly a lot of barking), so it's not like I want to see her bite or scare another dog. But being the size she is, she is much more likely to be killed by a dog that doesn't take to kindly to that behaviour and reacts. I simply will not allow it even if it means doing all the wrong things.

Edit - just to add that we have never been to an 'offlead' area and don't intend to. All incidents have happened where dogs are supposed to be onleash. In the streets, at the park and at the beach.

Edited by Henrietta

I've got two DINOS.....Dusty is to certain dogs (mostly young males) and Shae is to every dog and a lot of humans. She's fine if she's off lead, but on lead is a whole other story. She gives plenty of warning signals but if they keep coming, she snaps. I have to be very vigilant and keep other dogs away from her and warn people not to try and pat her while she's on lead.

Yes, Lili is a DINOS, she doesn't mind other dogs but is not normally interested in meeting them, I also can't let unknown people pat her when she is on lead, she has never snapped and I don't think she would but I won't take the chance, and anyway, her comfort is more inportant than someone wanting to pet her.

Mosley however loves everyone and everything so he is allowed to be petted and meet other dogs.

Who cares why people don't want their dogs approached, as far as I am concerned I do the choosing, not some random walking down the street.

Yep.

Just as annoying are those people who feel it's okay to stick their hands in your dogs face because he/she 'looks friendly' and so must want attention.

And I see nothing wrong with picking a pup or smaller dog up when a 'friendly' dog approaches. Provided you're not running around with fluffy above your head squealing what's the problem?

Definitely agree with this. Love the poster maybe we should print it off and hand it to the idiots with the "friendly" dogs, the off leash dogs, the not under control dogs. I suspect the only problem with this is that they either won't get it or can't read. And since I have had a tiny dog - trust me I will pick him up if some idiot lets their dog rush at him uninvited as 1 snap from a medium sized dog could kill him.