Loss Of Coat

bjazld

The puppies take everything off the poor mothers. She's going to look like she's been dragged through a hedge. It can take up to 6-12 months for a bitch to recover from a litter. She'll be fine

Slightly incorrect benshiva. The female body is designed to carry a pregnancy, give birth and feed the offspring.

In humans the hair grows luxuriously and falls out when the baby is around 4 months old, with some women they can be almost bald. They also lose weight around 6 months of age.

Given that dogs have a 9 week pregnancy and an 8 week feeding cycle, 5 weeks could equate to the hair loss age and weight loss of the pregnancy stored fat.

Both recover quickly with sound nutrition.

My dogs DO have sound nutrition. I'm only going by what I've experienced with my coated dogs and their recovery times from their litters. It DOES take them 6 months minimum to look in "show" condition again. So not incorrect at all in my opinion. Every dog is different

The puppies take everything off the poor mothers. She's going to look like she's been dragged through a hedge. It can take up to 6-12 months for a bitch to recover from a litter. She'll be fine

Slightly incorrect benshiva. The female body is designed to carry a pregnancy, give birth and feed the offspring.

In humans the hair grows luxuriously and falls out when the baby is around 4 months old, with some women they can be almost bald. They also lose weight around 6 months of age.

Given that dogs have a 9 week pregnancy and an 8 week feeding cycle, 5 weeks could equate to the hair loss age and weight loss of the pregnancy stored fat.

Both recover quickly with sound nutrition.

My dogs DO have sound nutrition. I'm only going by what I've experienced with my coated dogs and their recovery times from their litters. It DOES take them 6 months minimum to look in "show" condition again. So not incorrect at all in my opinion. Every dog is different

I agree Mel, I have seen many bitches, drop coat like never before after a litter, some breeds may be able to get away with it, but coated breeds and breeds requiring to be firm and dry and carry a full coat will take a lot longer to come back :thumbsup:

No way would I get my Cav girls back in the ring within six months....the tail takes the longest, my dogs are fed the best, so nutrition is not an issue with them...they just seem to give EVERYTHING to their babies. :)

Yes, would be pushing to have a sheltie girl back in the ring when pups were six months old.

No way would I get my Cav girls back in the ring within six months....the tail takes the longest, my dogs are fed the best, so nutrition is not an issue with them...they just seem to give EVERYTHING to their babies. :)

Yes, would be pushing to have a sheltie girl back in the ring when pups were six months old.

My girl last year lost all the long hairs and was left with a fine short coat, albeit in great condition, shiny and sleek, certainly not patchy or bald but not a Cav. The tail was completely short yet her ears remained which surprised me as she doesn't have great ear feathering, fine and like a floppy eared Papilion. This was with 6 pups, 5 after day 3.

Although, it must be said has a magnificent tail and front ruff?? I'd say it took her a good six months to grow back.

Now this years mum has been moulting alot on her body this week and the pup is 9 days old. She is getting daily Royal Jelly so I will wait to see how long it takes to grow back and how much she looses. What diffrence if any. I also wonder how much one pup compares to a full litter?? Propably much the same in terms of hormones.

Hum.

See, Daisy did not seem to lose much coat when the pups were still new... they are around four months old now, and two weeks ago she started moulting - and she is still losing hair!

Mind you, If I could develop a variety of Pom that shed itself practically bald each summer, then coated up again for the cold season, I would fo for it - just the sort of adaptation that is soooo practical for summer in Australia....

That's normal dog geek - bitches usually drop coat when their puppies are 3-4 months of age.

:laugh: Mine had nothing left to drop at that stage!

That was at the height of her "naked summer" look as her puppies were born in September.

Same :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That's normal dog geek - bitches usually drop coat when their puppies are 3-4 months of age.

:laugh: Mine had nothing left to drop at that stage!

That was at the height of her "naked summer" look as her puppies were born in September.