Snake Callouts.

snake catcher

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least the rubber snakes kind of looked like snakes.

When I did a snake handling course for work we practiced using hooks on plastic snakes which the guys running the course had 'captured'. A number of them were very interesting colours including one which was florescent pink :rofl:

There were real ones :) We started with lizards (an eastern water dragon then a lace monitor) then three non venomous pythons, then on the the venomous guys (I think we did 7 of them). The course ran over two days one day of theory followed by one day of handling. All the snakes we had to capture by tailing except the death adder which we used the hook to flick into the bag.

It was run by these guys Snake Handler I loved it, I was a lizard girl growing up but have never been to close to a snake.

There were real ones :) We started with lizards (an eastern water dragon then a lace monitor) then three non venomous pythons, then on the the venomous guys (I think we did 7 of them). The course ran over two days one day of theory followed by one day of handling. All the snakes we had to capture by tailing except the death adder which we used the hook to flick into the bag.

It was run by these guys Snake Handler I loved it, I was a lizard girl growing up but have never been to close to a snake.

Cool, Sean and Stacey live not far from me here in Victoria.

Cool, Sean and Stacey live not far from me here in Victoria.

Sean and his father ran the the course for us, they were great so passionate I learnt so much. They even let one of the guys who was terrified of snakes sit in during the handling to help him overcome his fear, he never got to touching a snake though :laugh:

How annoying, esp the dead Blue Tongue :(

My old dog (rip) had one in his mouth once when he was young. I disciplined him firmly, he never ever touched another. Luckily the Blue Tongue was fine :)

I can understand how frustrating it must be, I spent over 10yrs rescuing/rehabing wildlife, reptiles mainly. I was & still am learning & always kept an open mind as so many don't, although I am no longer involved with it but I used to receive the same kind of call outs, some people just don't know & others well... :mad

But you do it for the love of it.

BTW do you record each callout for a rubber snake? You'll have to let us know how many you got for the year :laugh:

Can I ask what is it about a blue tongue that makes people think its a snake? do they not even look at it and see its short with legs?

Exactly. My hysterical neighbour was bashing on my front door one day screaming about the angry snake in her backyard. How did she know it was angry? It's 'little legs' were moving as it tried to get away from her dog.

Huh???

Can I ask what is it about a blue tongue that makes people think its a snake? do they not even look at it and see its short with legs?

I had one wander through my yard last year, and when you see the head stick out from grass without seeing the body it does give you a start. I suppose a lot of people who are afraid of snakes would not bother to look further.

A lot of the time, only a part of the bluetongue can be seen,

especially when they are in woodpiles,

long grass or in other areas where visibility in obstructed,

and when a non reptile person sees scales and stripes

they often think tigersnake in this part of the country

And people really panic too when they think there is a snake involved. I witnessed a lady this year who in her panic, just about reversed her car into someone elses just because there was a snake nearby (nowhere near her car though!). And then there were the other end of the spectrum - the curious people who threw caution to the wind and wanted to get as close as possible to the snake to see it (4 1/2 foot brown btw).

unfortunately my dog is one of those that will Destroy a blue tongue. in perth he had several taken off him and he was none too happy about it. they were all alive and i released them just up the road where i presume they came from. bush+river.

he found it quite rude when he met a blue tongue that wouldn't just play along... ie agree to be flicked about. he copped a bite on the nose. haha

And people really panic too when they think there is a snake involved. I witnessed a lady this year who in her panic, just about reversed her car into someone elses just because there was a snake nearby (nowhere near her car though!). And then there were the other end of the spectrum - the curious people who threw caution to the wind and wanted to get as close as possible to the snake to see it (4 1/2 foot brown btw).

It is easy to frighten yourself even when you don't think you are particularly scared of snakes. I was riding my bike home from work a few years ago and saw a small stick on the bike track in the distance. Got closer and it wasn't a stick it was possibly the worlds smallest snake (no more than 20cm), now if this had been a cartoon you would have seen mine and the snakes eyes pop out of our heads :eek: . Thankfully we both took avasive action in opposite directions. I had to look around to make sure no one saw the crazy girl wobbling off the bike track legs flailing, no way they would have seen the big scary snake. I did laugh hysterically afterwards, my reaction was so silly and unlike me :doh: .

I'll stick to watching from this end of the net

I am curious ,do Goannas eat snakes ?

They love snakes,

snake eggs and pretty much anything else that fits in their mouth.

Gotta love goannas.

BP, once again you have made me laugh.

As I read your tale of mutual fear and terror I could also picture it, very funny

I have just come home from rescuing a poor snake from a terrified couple and tonight i amm going to Prahan RSL for the victorian reptile groups (or VHS) AGM..

All welcome btw,,,starts at 7pm

[

It is easy to frighten yourself even when you don't think you are particularly scared of snakes. I was riding my bike home from work a few years ago and saw a small stick on the bike track in the distance. Got closer and it wasn't a stick it was possibly the worlds smallest snake (no more than 20cm), now if this had been a cartoon you would have seen mine and the snakes eyes pop out of our heads :eek: . Thankfully we both took avasive action in opposite directions. I had to look around to make sure no one saw the crazy girl wobbling off the bike track legs flailing, no way they would have seen the big scary snake. I did laugh hysterically afterwards, my reaction was so silly and unlike me :doh: .

I can picture it now, had similar exp with my resident red [old place] we used to come upon each other and both freeze before we both backtracked :eek::laugh:

ty snakecather, i was wondering if they do, i have just recenlty seen a young goanna up the tree in my back yard, much to the dogs disgust, they were not allowed to go after it ;)

Edited by Chezy & Chopper