Christmas And The People Who Foster The Most In Need

Little Catdog

I'm happy to admit that I do buy a lot of crap for my dog :laugh:

I'm also the kind of person who gets guilted into donating to things :D I'm terrible when it comes to facebook updates from rescue groups, seeking donations for vet bills and things. I can never resist, so sometimes those things give me the nudge I need to actually make the donation. :shrug:

Perhaps the original question could have been phrased around people asking friends and family to donate to rescues/shelters/other organisations instead of buying presents for them. I often request things like that; I'd rather something like that and it makes it much easier for people who otherwise don't know what to buy but feel that they want to buy something.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Instead of buying all sorts of useless things for your dogs at Christmas, how about donating some food or other necessary things to people who foster dogs?

Confused I am!

Is this a generic statement or are you calling for help?

If the first then you are preaching to the choir. If the latter then DOL needs more info.

Edited by HonBun

Guest lavendergirl

Hi

Perhaps if you have a particular group(s) in mind you could post a link or some further information as to what is needed?

I'll buy as much useles stuff for my dogs as I like thanks :thumbsup: .

:thumbsup: I think I'll pop down to the local salvos this morning and see how much useless crap I can buy for my dogs and while I'm there, I'll see how much useless crap I can buy for our sponsored children OS

LOVE the Salvo's for dog toys-- you can get some decent fluffy toys in their $3-4 bags they sell.

LOVE the Salvo's for dog toys-- you can get some decent fluffy toys in their $3-4 bags they sell.

I love supporting the salvos - they do an amazing job. I've picked up some fantastic giant teddys and dogs lately for my little pug who likes to sleep ontop of them like a security blankie kind of thing. When she sucks on their ears and they get too grubby or the terriers get a hold and shred them I just chuck them out. $3 a pop so no biggy. I could be wasting that money on useless crap like McDonalds so it doesnt worry me to buy her toys from somewhere like the Salvos that help people.

Edited by raz

I think the OP's intentions were good, the execution was lousy. I'd rather focus on how they can execute their aim better.

Negative, preachy messages turn people off. Positive ones are far more engaging. Firstly, you have to give a bit of info about yourself and why you're doing this. Then you need to give people some simple, positive instructions on what they can do to help.

For example, what about advocating a toy exchange (ie you get one new toy for your dog, donate one old one to a shelter). This is what I do and it leads to a win-win. What about a "donate the toys that you bought that your dog ignores" drive too. All these things still allow people to spoil their pets, but a pet in need gets the benefit of the stuff that is no longer required.

I love supporting the salvos - they do an amazing job. I've picked up some fantastic giant teddys and dogs lately for my little pug who likes to sleep ontop of them like a security blankie kind of thing. When she sucks on their ears and they get too grubby or the terriers get a hold and shred them I just chuck them out. $3 a pop so no biggy. I could be wasting that money on useless crap like McDonalds so it doesnt worry me to buy her toys from somewhere like the Salvos that help people.

Aww that's so cute your Pug sleeping on the toy. My dog still has a $2 (human) baby toy Elephant which is her comfort toy and she snuggles with it.

Aww that's so cute your Pug sleeping on the toy. My dog still has a $2 (human) baby toy Elephant which is her comfort toy and she snuggles with it.

Yeah she's pretty cute and it keeps her happy rather than terrorising my toes so who am I to deny her presents :rofl:

I think the OP's intentions were good, the execution was lousy. I'd rather focus on how they can execute their aim better.

Negative, preachy messages turn people off. Positive ones are far more engaging. Firstly, you have to give a bit of info about yourself and why you're doing this. Then you need to give people some simple, positive instructions on what they can do to help.

For example, what about advocating a toy exchange (ie you get one new toy for your dog, donate one old one to a shelter). This is what I do and it leads to a win-win. What about a "donate the toys that you bought that your dog ignores" drive too. All these things still allow people to spoil their pets, but a pet in need gets the benefit of the stuff that is no longer required.

Very Nicely put Megan.

I donate a percentage of my pay every single month to a range of rescue groups and rescue individuals, including those here on DOL and cat rescue (even though I've never owned a cat). I've been collecting toys and making fleece tug toys for the last 6 months and these have been donated this week to a local rescue group so their foster doggies can have some practical toys for xmas. I've also been knitting coats since last winter for next winter and will make up fleece hoodies to add to the mix before donating in time for next winter. When my old girl passed away this May I donated several hundred dollars of good quality collars to about 6 rescue groups around Australia in her name. I also donated her expensive left over dementia meds to a seniors rescue group interstate.

For Christmas this year my girl is getting a second hand teddy to chew, a special home made tuggy, some homemade treats and a homemade xmas dress to wear for the day. I've spent maybe $10 on her.

So whilst I understand the sentiment behind your thread the reality is there are many people passionate about rescue who give regularly, whether it be money, goods, services or their precious homes and time. And if those that don't want to spoil their dogs then that's perfectly fine by me as our dogs give us a lot of pleasure.

We don't all support the same causes and people can't and shouldn't be forced to give.

I sure as hell wouldn't, if I were them!

I’m sure they meant well and were hardly implying that people here are selfish and miserly with their money. I’m not sure why such an innocuous (and pointless, granted) thread led to the kind of replies it got!

Alkhe there are so many people on DOL who work tirelessly in rescue so it is easy to feel offended. If the OP had spent a little time reading some threads throughout DOL they would easily see it is a place very passionate about the welfare of dogs. I do understand what they were aiming for but it wasn't directed at the right audience here.

We don't all support the same causes and people can't and shouldn't be forced to give.

Exactly. And quite frankly, if you dont have the dough to feed a foster dog, you probably shouldn't put your hand up for one!

Yes, it would have been better if they had a specific way that people can help that they just ask for that help. Guilt trips are not the best way to promote anything.

I don't think the useless bling and other crap that people buy to put on their dogs is any worse than all the other bling and manufactured crap they can buy to put on their cars, in their homes, or on themselves at this annual festival of consumption. :laugh:

Rescue does have a harder time at this time of year. So many irresponsible people drop the dog on the shelter as they head off on their holiday. It's would be good if the people that don't normally visit the rescue forum could sometimes see the issues that come up there.

I reckon heaps of DOLers already help rescue, but at this time of year, it doesn't hurt to consider the extra strain on rescue.