Dog Regos

Crysti_Lei

We moved into a new council in July and I registered the dogs with them, it was only 3 months left of that year so I only paid a small about, so I could get a full 3 years worth when they cam up for renew in November.

So November comes and I get the rego papers in the mail and stick them on the fridge with the intention of paying them when i get down to the local post office. Now, I have lived in two other councils and have never has an issue with dogs being registered, they have lapsed and I have never heard a word from the councils about it, and then when I remember I go in and pay again.

But, I have just received a $100 fine for each of the dogs because I haven't paid yet. To me, this is pretty low, but sure, the dogs aren't registered, I just haven't come across this before.

But, my dogs *are* registered, their rego at my old address is still valid (i have about a year left on that) so can I appeal the fine as they are still registered under the Dog Act?

its in section 7 here:

http://www.forgwa.com/DogAct1976_05-f0-01.pdf but its all Greek to me.

I have tried to have a read through the act, but things like that don't make much sense to me :o

I also live in the City of Swan, and have never had a problem with my council, though never get a reminder if payment is late.

If it were me, I'd probably take the fine to the council office, and tell them I never got the renewal notice ;) and let them know about the registration with the other council.

Insist it's not fair for you to have to pay the fine because you're more than willing to pay the rego.

We moved from Stirling to Mundaring last year and I was told I only needed to register with Mundaring when the rego with Stirling expired. However, I did advise Stirling of our new address.

I think it's worth appealing if the dogs are still registered with another Shire.

Edited by Drumbeat

If they are registered with the other council then you shouldn't have to pay the fine, at least that's the law in VIC but I'm not sure about other states.

I would just go in and tell them that the dogs are currently registered and you would now like to pay the new rego, hopefully they will agree. Good luck with it.

They cannot fine you for the dogs not being registered, but they can fine you for not having the correct address on tags ( I am not sure if this extends to the license) There is a Legal Dep at Dep local Gov, call them and enquire, a dog cant be fines for non rego if it is in fact registerd wherever is irrelevant.

good luck.

Personally I would call the Council and try the nice way first!

I had a quick read through. The dog is registered under 'the act' just under a different council. There were no subclauses or provisions in the document to justify the fine. I'd give them a call too.. definately don't pay the fine!

move to Joondalup ;)

i wish. I have lived in Joondalup and have just moved out of Wanneroo (rented the property out) and i HATE living where i am now, and this just adds to it.

mine you, i am a bit cranky at COJ right now as Tuesday was my last day of work at Lakeside, it was forecast for hail, i am 37 weeks pregnant and i have to be out of work ASAP (its a 5-10 min waddle to the staff parking) to get my daughter from day care, so I parked under cover at the shopping centre and forgot to shift my car. lovely $60 fine for me when i got out to go home. Grrrr. but there is not grounds for appeal there, it was my fault and i was in the wrong.

I called the council and was told that it was a good grounds for appeal, but she wouldn't guarantee it would work. Now i just need some paperwork from City of Wanneroo to prove they are registered with them.

so fingers crossed for me. Its the last thing i can deal with right now.

move to Joondalup ;)

i wish. I have lived in Joondalup and have just moved out of Wanneroo (rented the property out) and i HATE living where i am now, and this just adds to it.

mine you, i am a bit cranky at COJ right now as Tuesday was my last day of work at Lakeside, it was forecast for hail, i am 37 weeks pregnant and i have to be out of work ASAP (its a 5-10 min waddle to the staff parking) to get my daughter from day care, so I parked under cover at the shopping centre and forgot to shift my car. lovely $60 fine for me when i got out to go home. Grrrr. but there is not grounds for appeal there, it was my fault and i was in the wrong.

I called the council and was told that it was a good grounds for appeal, but she wouldn't guarantee it would work. Now i just need some paperwork from City of Wanneroo to prove they are registered with them.

so fingers crossed for me. Its the last thing i can deal with right now.

Christi le being an ex Ranger I can tell you write in, you have nothing to lose bar a 60 cent stamp, you never know depends on what mood the boss is in! Hey i like the sound of your story and embellish it a bit being a good citizen and all and trying toi get through the xmas work ..... and thats adds to why you were late!! I am happy to help write the letter if needed!