After Some Advice, About Purchasing An English Staffy

Bud Buns

Absolutely do not even consider the idea of buying a pup without papers - especially in Victoria.

Both parents have to be registered on Main Register, the owner of the mum has to be an ANKC registered breeder and the pup will have it's own set of papers (not always available when you pick the pup up, they can take some time to arrive). Council registration is totally different and irrelevant to what you want. Buying a Stafford pup without papers is gambling with that dog's life and with the emotions of your whole family. Don't even go there!

Both parents should be tested for L2-HGA & HC which are both DNA tests OR be "clear by parentage" which means their parents were tested and both were clear. This gets a bit confusing admittedly, but ask and ask for the answer to be explained if you're not too clear on genetics :)

The other biggies in Staffords are:

PHPV is present at birth and is definitely genetic, there could well be a DNA test for this within the next year or so. In serious cases the dog can go blind very young (6 months old). Unfortunately, two unaffected parents can produce an affected puppy but the best a breeder can do at the moment is to breed unaffected to unaffected and have the pups tested at 6 or 8 weeks of age

Distichiasis is an extra row of eyelashes which points in towards the eye ball. Bad cases can cause ulcers and obviously cause the dog a lot of pain - surgery to remove the eyelashes sometimes has to be repeated to be successful and is expensive! This is inherited but how exactly is not 100% proven yet - and again two clear parents can produce an affected pup but breeding unaffected to unaffected is the best a breeder can do at the moment. This isn't always visible at 6-8 weeks and can occur later (up to a year or more) but usually bad cases are apparent at a very young age.

Allergies. Unfortunately many will have you believe Staffords are a breed prone to allergies. In truth - poorly bred Stafford are prone to allergies, but carefully bred ones aren't - ethical breeders don't breed from dogs with major allergy issues!

Demodex. Again, it's believed in some circles that Demodex is part and parcel of Staffords. Not so with ethically bred dogs!

With both allergies and demodex of course you can get incredibly unlucky and buy a pup from generations of good breeding and still end up with a problem - that's the way nature works some times, but you lessen your odds a lot of funding your vet's new BMW by asking specific questions of the breeder - do they breed from dogs with skin issues, did the mother of this litter have demodex or "puppy mange". Ask ask ask ask!

As for waiting - yes you could wait a while, or you could get lucky. For example I have a litter here now, 9 weeks old with a male pup still available because a) he's a boy b) he's black brindle c) I'm fussy about where he goes and d) he's on limit register and I won't sell him to someone who suggests they might want to breed from him even though he's being sold as a pet.

Good luck - take your time, you'll have 14 or so years with this dog, make sure it's the right one!

PS - avoid people who refer to their dogs as English Staffys - there's no such breed!

ETA: $800 - $1100 would be a normal sort of price range from good breeders. Do NOT pay more for a "special colour" because none of them are.

Edited by Sandra777

Thanks everyone for all the replies, I've been doing lots of research over the last few days and have spoken to quite a few breeders some who gave me the heebiejeebies and others who gave me loads of information.

I've just got one last question(for now :laugh: ) in regards to puppies being clear of diseases by parentage, if they have been, is it ok to ask a breeder to see/obtain a copy of some kind of paperwork proving this? I'm waiting on a few calls back from some breeders who I have found who state their pups are clear by parentage and don't want to offend anyone or anything like that...

Absolutely, these certificates should be part of the puppy pack.

In fact IMO a DNA certificate proving the pup is the product of those two parents and is therefore clear by parentage should really be the go - but this

isn't commonplace - YET!

Asking a question that shows you care about your future family member will never offend a caring breeder

Could anyone point Bud Buns in the right direction for a breeder?

It's so hard finding the right ones and even the unethical ones can be lovely to chat to on the phone. It always helps to have a good start with a few recommended breeders.

It's so hard finding the right ones and even the unethical ones can be lovely to chat to on the phone. It always helps to have a good start with a few recommended breeders.

I'd be looking here-

http://www.dogzonlin...ull-terrier.asp

While that may be a list of registered breeders, it doesn't also mean they are all ethical :)

I'd be looking here-

Thanks, they're aware of that list but as the other posters above said it doesn't make them ethical breeders just because they're registered. A personal recommendation from people in the know is always best.:thumbsup:

I'd be looking here-

Thanks, they're aware of that list but as the other posters above said it doesn't make them ethical breeders just because they're registered. A personal recommendation from people in the know is always best.:thumbsup:

I agree. :)

I have been through that list about 100 times :laugh: And called a lot of people and have called a few who have come recommended,from people on the list and sent some emails too. So I feel like I'm getting there with my knowledge :thumbsup:

One guy was telling me that he is the best breeder around, his dogs are huge etc and to ring up other breeders to find out about his rep, so I did, and none of the other breeder's had ever heard of him :laugh:

I'll keep reading and calling people until I feel like I know enough to make a proper decision

I have been through that list about 100 times :laugh: And called a lot of people and have called a few who have come recommended,from people on the list and sent some emails too. So I feel like I'm getting there with my knowledge :thumbsup:

One guy was telling me that he is the best breeder around, his dogs are huge etc and to ring up other breeders to find out about his rep, so I did, and none of the other breeder's had ever heard of him :laugh:

I'll keep reading and calling people until I feel like I know enough to make a proper decision

That's what we did, and we found the perfect one! Goodluck with your search. :)

My advise, go to a dog show and speak to the breeders there.

At least there you will get a chance of seeing what may be available as future sires and dams.

You may also get a dog a breeder that may be prepared to let one go.