Beach Turned Off-lead

ludwig09

I went to walk my dog on our usual beach this morning and i noticed that literally over night signs have been replaced and it is now an off lead. I am not a fan of off leads after witnessing too many attacks and unruley dogs not under control. We have given up walking our dogs around the streets because of dogs bolting out at us from houses but now that the on leash beach has gone it seems options are getting slim. I do have a treadmill for my dogs which they use a couple of times a week but there is nothing like getting out there for a walk. What to do. Does anyone else feel that it is getting harder to safely walk your dog?

Well, to be honest, I wish that would happen on more beaches around me... But I acknowledge that things might be different if I owned a smaller dog. I don't know, I never seem to get approached by off-lead dogs, plus my dog is non-reactive. But like for example, a new lady has recently moved into our street and owns a very large german shepherd and our dogs had been eyeing each other off ever since. So the other day, she happened to be walking her dog when I came home, and we started chatting. She asked if I would mind letting us introduce our dogs, so they didn't have to be so silly about each other anymore. We introduced them, 2 entire males, about the same size and they got on very well, Sammy was play bowing and her dog looked very relaxed (he was a year or 2 older) and both looking at us and whining a bit because they wanted to be allowed to play. So now my dog no longer gets all restless when they walk past and her dog just looks at Sammy and no longer barks. I don't know, maybe big dog owners and different and I barely notice the small dogs...

I lie, I am petrified when I see bully breeds off-lead around the streets, doesn't happen often but when it does, half the time I leave my dog in a down stay, walk over to the dog if it's following us from a distance and really tell it off and to go home. I know I'm breedist, but my dog has only been attacked 3 times and all 3 were bullies. I'm not scared of them personally at all, they never seem HA. But I hate the way they stare intently at Sammy and follow him.

I think the whole dog culture in Australia needs to change for off leash areas to work. As someone mentioned, the whole culture in Europe is different, dogs live inside and dog ownership is generally seen as a big responsibility. Where I'm from there isn't even a leash law, the law only says the dog has to be "under effective control", no mention of leashes. Leash laws apply for parts of the year in breeding areas for deer, but that's it. It's not unusual at all to come across someone walking their dog off leash in suburban and even urban areas, and the dogs walk perfectly and completely ignore people walking past.

In Australia dogs are excluded from the family, they live outside most of the time, they're put outside if visitors come over, and even if the family is hanging out outside, the dog is put in a different area of the yard so it can't be around the family. Dogs aren't family members in Australia, people get dogs just because it's the thing to do, and then just stick it in the backyard and don't bother with it, other than maybe a walk every few days if it's lucky.

(Of course this doesn't apply to everyone, but for most dogs I see around here, this is the case).

I think education about dogs in school is a good idea, it should be a big deal.

Let's not turn this into another little dog vs big dog thread :(

Agree!

It's unusual that they have made the beach off leash, usually of leash areas are being removed not added! ETA To the OP hopefully your walks aren't disrupted too much by the change

I like our dog beach beacuse it is massive and not too busy you can find a section away from other dogs :thumbsup:

Edited by amypie

One of Sonny BF's as a youngster was a Mal called Jake, beautiful dog, weighs in at more than me & funnily enough now my girl Stella adores him & gives him kissed any time she can :laugh: So I certainly

wouldn't generalize on size or breed regarding temp. for that matter.

Edited by BC Crazy

There is a choice at least of whether or not you go, I have no beach, not even some water in my area that Arty can have a paddle in, the only choice I have is to get him a clam shell and that wont last long. :(

I do understand that you get worried about your dogs, some big, some small, some fragile, some not, some excitable etc.

Whilst size plays a part to a degree, it is your job as an owner to protect your dogs life. Not bites, not scratches. Each one is a potential death and it is our jobs to defend these little guys with OUR lives.

If you do not feel safe taking your sweethearts to an off-lead area then definitely don't! We all need to feel safe, especially our furkids. There are badly trained dogs out there, terrible owners and both come with no recall :p

We have to deal with that and be prepared for that when we enter an off-leash area.

That said are there any on-leash areas in your vicinity? Maybe change it up a bit? If you have a very small beach then being there with a 100+ dogs (exaggeration I know) wouldn't be ideal especially if you know some of the owners to be... well, lets use the word "boisterous" :p

Also (sorry I read the post but not the name) To the person whose dog got hit by a stranger: I hope you smacked the ----- back!!!! :mad Grarg... Can't stand people hitting animals, let alone (my) own!

I like having the choice to let my dog off lead, if I think the circumstance is ok. Cleo's recall is a bit dodgy so I pop her on lead a good distance from dogs to have some control, even if they are off leash. Don't do this every time but most of the time, and I appreciate it when other owners do the same (unless their dog is so engrossed in a game of fetch that Cleo's like "meh, boring"). We have a huge open beach at home that she can walk and run on, and not see a dog for an hour! It's a great time for her and most of the dog owners in this small village are responsible.

I must say though, it is those smaller breeds that give me grief - because of those FEW irresponsible owners.

Cleo and I got followed (and barked at) for 3 blocks the other day by a foxy....the owner just stared as he ran up to me, across the road, and was being aggressive. I pulled Cleo along and ignored him while he followed us and crossed another road. I don't blame the dog at all - the owner, who didn't give two hoots that several cars drove on the road this dog was crossing, deserves ALL the blame here.

There is a choice at least of whether or not you go, I have no beach, not even some water in my area that Arty can have a paddle in, the only choice I have is to get him a clam shell and that wont last long. :(

I do understand that you get worried about your dogs, some big, some small, some fragile, some not, some excitable etc.

Whilst size plays a part to a degree, it is your job as an owner to protect your dogs life. Not bites, not scratches. Each one is a potential death and it is our jobs to defend these little guys with OUR lives.

If you do not feel safe taking your sweethearts to an off-lead area then definitely don't! We all need to feel safe, especially our furkids. There are badly trained dogs out there, terrible owners and both come with no recall :p

We have to deal with that and be prepared for that when we enter an off-leash area.

That said are there any on-leash areas in your vicinity? Maybe change it up a bit? If you have a very small beach then being there with a 100+ dogs (exaggeration I know) wouldn't be ideal especially if you know some of the owners to be... well, lets use the word "boisterous" :p

Also (sorry I read the post but not the name) To the person whose dog got hit by a stranger: I hope you smacked the ----- back!!!! :mad Grarg... Can't stand people hitting animals, let alone (my) own!

No, I didnt hit him but I pushed him as hard as I could. I was so bloody angry. I couldnt care less what he did or tried to do to me but NOONE hits

my dog. I saw red. I am a very lay back person as a rule. Bxxtaxd. I still see him sometimes & he tries to speak to me. I just glare at him after putting both my babies on leads & going in the opp. direction.

Honestly, you can't please all the people all the time.

Isn't there a current post about wishing local beaches were dog friendly???

I'm really suprised anyone on here is complaining about an offlead beach. :confused:

Personally I wouldn't take my dog to an ONlead beach, I can't see the point if they can't swim.

Honestly, you can't please all the people all the time.

Isn't there a current post about wishing local beaches were dog friendly???

I'm really suprised anyone on here is complaining about an offlead beach. :confused:

Personally I wouldn't take my dog to an ONlead beach, I can't see the point if they can't swim.

Just to give you an idea of the kind of people who may prefer an onlead beach. I have a greyhound, and they are not allowed off lead except on private property (this is in Vic). So I would take him to an onlead beach, to minimise any issues with being the only dog on lead, off lead dogs approaching him etc etc. Of course, I do realise this situation is not all that common in the grand scheme of things :).

ETA I'm not saying the beach SHOULD be on leash only, just sharing a situation as to why some people may want on lead beaches.

Edited by rebelsquest

be very thankful nips and scratches is all they endure. One vicious off lead dog vs mine = dead dog, there are no nips and scratches it is life and death.

Actually no it is not all they endure - try having to deal with a dog who is now scared of small yappy dogs and spend money on a behaviourist to deal with that issue (so he does not develop fear aggression).

be very thankful nips and scratches is all they endure. One vicious off lead dog vs mine = dead dog, there are no nips and scratches it is life and death.

Actually no it is not all they endure - try having to deal with a dog who is now scared of small yappy dogs and spend money on a behaviourist to deal with that issue (so he does not develop fear aggression).

Yep....

It's the law, they cannot be offlead (including off lead dog parks) unless on private property. I'm on my phone now, but will find a link to post tomorrow if I remember, and if someone doesn't beat me to it :D.

I believe that law is the same in all states as well.

I am surprised to read greys arent allowed off lead cause there are several at our local that are never leashed or muzzeled. Ours is a council owned beach too. They are lovely dogs & seem to be very placid.

I can relate to the post about being scared of Bullies. I am too. I do try & avoid them as I have had one go after Sonny from behind, did not even see him approach.

I'd love to know where in Qld this new off-lead dog beach is, if it's anywhere from Noosa south please can you let me know as we like to get out for drives on the weekend and another place to visit on either Sunny or Gold Coasts would be great!

Cheers

Ness

On the Sunny Coast, there is Pt Cartwright after 4pm and before 8am (I think those times are correct), Kawana beach between certain beach access and North Shore beach is the same (no hour restrictions).

I take Molly swimming at North Shore everyday if that weather is good, it's brilliant and one way to tire her out :thumbsup: and I get to paddle around too!

Guest donatella

We could stand here all day and get into the pros and cons of big vs small dogs but it's not my point as breed selection is purely subjective, my point is in an attack, a smaller one is less likely to survive so smaller dog owners SHOULD be more vigilant with on lead and more aware of their surroundings which I'm aware they are not.

I'm sorry your dog is scared of small yappy dogs but not all are evil ankle biters. The first day I tool my dog out she was rushed at by 2 huskies and yelped and cried and squealed, I've never been so scared, so again, the tables are turned.

Guest lavendergirl

We could stand here all day and get into the pros and cons of big vs small dogs but it's not my point as breed selection is purely subjective, my point is in an attack, a smaller one is less likely to survive so smaller dog owners SHOULD be more vigilant with on lead and more aware of their surroundings which I'm aware they are not.

I'm sorry your dog is scared of small yappy dogs but not all are evil ankle biters. The first day I tool my dog out she was rushed at by 2 huskies and yelped and cried and squealed, I've never been so scared, so again, the tables are turned.

Yep thats all I was saying and an obvious fact I would have thought!

Jacqui835, in the 80's , roaming German shepards were scary in my neighborhood . Negligent owners at fault , as are the the bully owners of today.

Bccrazy, I am scared of off lead dogs also , DA terriers particularly . However, as an owner of bully's , I am sensitive about comments that spotlight a breed being targeted in Vic at the moment. At learnt I cannot walk my dogs on lead along our creek in Melbourne for fear of encountering off lead BC's who are always miles from their owners, circling and stalking us. Remarkably amazing behavior and instincts being displayed, but scary and inappropriate .

Any off lead dog not practicing avoidance is trouble.

I love all dogs and am annoyed that I have felt the need to highlight any breed in relation to behavior that might lead to a confrontation between dogs or people.

Hi Huckhouse, I too am very afraid of some off lead dogs that show aggression. I do have a fear of BTs but am working on overcoming my fear as it is my problem. I too love all dogs. I believe that their are good & bad temps in all breeds. I do not think aggression has any breed bias.

Guest donatella

Id LOVE a douge but that won't happen anytime soon with my living arrangements. I wish I could have a big dog and a small one I love them all!!