Puppy Upset Stomach

Del678

Long time reder, first time poster. I just got my puppy GSD on Saturday so I'm a paranoid new mum. I know it's prob nothing but...

Pup vomited at 7am, ate bfast fine, ate lunch, vomit 4pm, won't eat dinner, vomit 7:30.

It's mostly wretching as hasn't any food to throw up. He's under my feet 24/7 and the only non-food thing he's eaten is a bit of grass at toilet time and maybe licked up a few ants.

He nibbled some nasturtiums yesterday afternoon before i stopped him, but if they upset him i think he would be sick last night not today.

As a side note he's on a high quality food which was what the breeder had him on and hasn't been given anything else.

should i be worried? What should i look for and at what point of being sick and not eating should i start to worry? Should i pick him up some yoghurt as i heard that's good for their stomach health etc.

Guest donatella

I would definitley take him to the vet tomorrow if he's not back to his old self and/or is still vomiting. Pups need to eat/drink a few times a day so with the vomiting and not intaking enough you could be risking dehydration.

Poor darling. Hopefully it is just a nasty tummy bug and he is back to his old self tomorrow morning, but anything over 12-24 hours max i'd be getting him checked out just to be safe.

ETA: I'm no puppy pro either, hopefully someone with more know can help you out

Edited by donatella

Hi Del678 :)

It could be stress.

Other thing could be is if pup has had any fresh meat or picked up some old meat.

Might be food poisoning.

Lastly, has pup had its vaccinations.

Saturday means the pup is only 8ish weeks old.

I don't want to be alarmist but I wouldn't wait till morning.

Personally I tend to over react and always think the worst.

Px

Hope pup is feeling a bit better now.

I agree, if you haven't already and puppy isn't back to drinking and eating and holding it down I'd be straight to the vet in the morning. Better safe than sorry with vomitting. If it was diarrhea I'd be less worried, could well be stress then, but vomitting and not eating I'd get checked quickly in a baby.

Don't panic though, it's just to be on the safe side!

Edited by Saxonpup

Hope pup is ok this morning .. I advise a vet check today anyway! A 'new pup' check is always a very good idea - just a thorough check to see if there is anything out of the ordinary ... and to let pup meet the vet.

Go easy on food today .. keep it plain ..and make sure pup is drinking, and kept cool.

Thanks for all the feedback. He was sick once more after finally eating a bit last night then tried to eat his sick (i ended up having to hose the lawn in the middle of the night bec every time we went out for toilet he'd go back to try eat it)... So i think he was creating a self-perpetuating sick cycle for himself. He's back to his old self this morning thankfully.

Yes he is vaccinated and we had met the vet on monday and he got the all clear. Stress is possible... I have been trying to get him used to my being away a little bit at a time which does stress him out (takes longer to calm down when i get home than the time i was out). Thanks.