Coconut Oil

sheena

What I find with any topic like this is that people have good experiences and others have bad experiences. It depends on the individual dog. I don't think once a dog does well on a particular food, shampoo, insert topic of choice here that people should just change because, 'Oh, so and so had a good experience with it so I'll change over, too.' Taking the word of someone who may have no expertise in anything is rather foolish. This goes equally for shampoo, food supplement, kibble or raw enthusiasts. Leave your poor dogs alone unless the dog starts having a reaction to something. They're not home-based lab rats.

Agree every dog is an individual and has their own specific needs. I started using coconut oil only after research and lengthy discussion with people qualified to provide an opinion in this area and whose advice over the years I have come to trust and respect. Shortly after I had introduced it to my lot this thread started on DOL and I have followed it with interest as to what has been the experience for others.

My dogs are not and have never been home based lab rats.......and I think for the most part anyone who takes their pets health seriously would do their own homework before doing anything....just because..........

Edited by shepherds

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No change in weight but we weigh every meal and watch their weight carefully. They used to get either flaxseed oil or canned sardines in oil before changing to coconut oil so that might be the reason for a lack in weight change too.

Thanks... I do the same (weigh and monitor everything that goes in their gobs).... I have one older dog with health issues who badly needs condition and the coconut oil hasnt made any difference to him and a youngster (8 months) who is maintaining condition very easily and I have cut his food back but he is getting loose in ligamentation - and I cant figure out if its an age thing or the coconut oil....and loose ligamentation is the last thing I want.......

Just curious to know why you think the coconut oil could be responsible for loose ligamentation...surely it is only one small part of his diet, could it be something else you are feeding him, given that he is only 8 months old. What is his main diet?? Coconut oil is a low calorie oil & can reduce weight in some dogs or put it on in others...I think it has to do with how their thyroid is functioning.

Im not sure that the coconut oil is responsible - but he has got a bit loose which could be due to his age and growth. Im a BH feeder and coconut oil is the only change I've made to their diet and its intersting watching the difference between the two dogs - one is putting on condition and the other isnt since adding it and I was just curious as to whether anyone else had noticed any changes in their dogs condition.

Cheers

I've noticed a HUGE difference in their coat condition & poos are still nice & firm & only two a day (I have mine on BH as well). I keep a good eye on their weight, but havn't had a chance to take them to the vets for a weigh-in since being on the oil. They don't appear to have had any weight change. Energy levels are great. I doubt (maybe wrong) if it could cause loose ligamentation, more likely to be the fact that your pup is growing....what has the vet said about it. Is your breed prone to it??

I dont think the coconut oil is responsible for the loose ligamentatiion as such - but one dog is putting on weight since adding it, whereas the other one isnt. Plus I have read conflicting reports on weight and coconut oil so I was just curious/interested as to whether any other Doler's had noticed any weight changes in their dogs.

Cheers