Coconut Oil

sheena

Hardy's Angel some strong words and unnecessary words there. I am not one for forum ping pong and this will be my last post regarding this.

I like to think that we are all here to exchange ideas in order to better the lives of our dogs. With all due respect you have misread my posts and made assumptions based on what you perceive to be my stance. To clarify:

- When I posted the testimonials about coconut oil I clearly stated that it came from an online source. I never claimed in any way shape or form that I have experience in this field (see my last post), but my only knowledge in coconut oil was for consumption. I never claimed that the testimonial was backed up or verified. It is anecdotal evidence that every day people have the right to test for themselves.

- There is no need for me to put a disclaimer because I am not the source and nor did I ever state that I agree or disagree with the testimonial. I am simply putting information out there that I found online, just like thousands of other people do without putting a disclaimer and it is up to the consumer to work out what works for them. You say I should at least encourage people to ask their vets. No offence to the countless vets I have visited over the years but they don't exactly have the best track record for telling me what is best for my dog so from experience I would not refer anyone to a vet unless their dog suffers from a medical condition.

- I am not an authority on coconut oil and do not claim to be. I would be more than happy to take your word on it that it does not ward off ticks. I really don't mind it makes no difference to me. If you feel so strongly about this you should contact the people that put the testimonial out there because if it does turn out to be completely without a shadow of a doubt false then I too would be happy to see that testimonial disappear.

- I have definitely considered the many dog owners who view this forum every day. Read my post again. Even if people do take coconut oil claims on face value, they will know very quickly wether or not it works. It's as if you are assuming that people are simple enough to continue to use coconut oil even if they can clearly see ticks on the dog. If all members reacted so strongly about the various topics people would be too afraid to post and this forum would fizzle. Daily I read many things that dog owners are doing for their dogs that they think is doing them good when it is in fact doing them great harm. No one would share anything if they were going to come under such attacks.

- I have not implied anything in regards to topical uses for coconut oil, I merely presented some information that I found to be interesting. Sheena raises some very good points about sulphur and eggs. This is something that I would not have thought of and could very well blindly believed that coconut oil is a tick repellent. Sheena may be wrong, she may be right, but the point of a forum is to share ideas and let people come to their own conclusions.

Like I said Hardy's Angel we are all here for the well being of our best friends, there is no need to point the finger especially when you are assuming that I have a certain stance when I clearly stated that I do not know enough about topical uses of coconut oil to take sides.

No hard feelings.

AA...there are some people on DOL that would attack you no matter what you said....In my house we call them "Pisards" not sure if that is a true word, but a pisard is someone who will argue with you about anything, no matter what. No point in arguing with pisards, you just simply ignore them. For Hardy's A to say you should have put a disclaimer in when quoting someone elses testimonial, then why didn't HA require that I put a disclaimer in when I posted the link to "80 different uses for coconut oil". Ignore them....I am interested in what you are saying & I am sure others following this post are too. That doesn't mean I am going to suddenly throw out my tick prevention & slather my dogs in CO as HA implies. HA implies that we are all stupid. There are a couple of posters here which from now on, I am not even going to bother reading, as they are clearly just trying to interrupt the thread. :scold:

:rolleyes:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If even only one person fails to provide the correct preventatives for their dog and it dies as a result, are you cool with having that on your conscious? I really hope so because coconut oil is NOT a tick preventative. Period.

To imply it is foolish, to defend those claims is knowingly causing harm.

*Not my first choice of word, I can assure you.

I agree that one needs to be a bit careful when asserting something ... "In my [limited] experience ..." is an example of wording. But let's not go too over the top with criticism - and I mean this respectfully. There are dogs who have died or at the least become seriously ill as a result of having received a vaccination, but do the Vets inform every single client that this is a possibility before recommending and/or administering the vaccine? And the same with spot-ons? And administration of cortisone? When I read AA's post, I saw that she was pinning up something that she had read elsewhere. I didn't take it as AA's assertion that it would be ok. And if I wanted at the time to check into it further, I would have asked for a link to the article. A bit of common sense, I guess.

I think of all places anyone is likely to think "I wonder if that is as correct as it sounds" is when they read it over the net. And generally they then seek opinions/experiences of others, as the OP has done/is doing here. I would not attest to (in this instance) Coconut Oil being suitable in all cases. But it is something that can be considered and checked out and weighed up.

In my inexperienced opinion :D.

Edited by Erny

I would question you guys that are feeding BH also feeding CO. That seems to me to be a heap of oil getting fed, seeing as BH has a fair amount of oil in it.

The oil they are getting from their BH seems to be quite sufficient during the cooler months, but it's just lately with the daily swimming in the pool & bleaching of the sun that I felt they needed a bit of a lift, hence trying the CO. The difference in just one week has been very encouraging. I am keeping a good eye on their poops & so far they are still firm & no increase. What I am mindful of, is keeping an eye on their weight as I have read quite a bit that CO can actually reduce the weight in some dogs & I don't want that.

I have an allergic dog and have had experience with coconut oil - I think it's very important to be very very very careful with claims.

I'm interested in knowing of your (by the sounds of it, not so good) experiences, MEH. Every dog is different and your experiences doesn't mean that others will be the same, but it is all good to know - the good and the bad. So I'd appreciate the additional knowledge the telling of your experience/s would provide, if you would?

Sheena ... I can't find what you've referenced as "BH" to know what it means. Maybe I'm having a blonde moment ??? (No offence to all the blondes out there :o )

By BH, Erny, I mean Black Hawk Holistic, but myself & others tend not to mention the full name, cause there are some people on these forums, who think we are advertising & some of us have been told not to mention it's name unless we are specifically on the Black Hawk post, so we try to abide by that. :) Any other brand of food can be mentioned, it seems, but not BH :laugh:

Sheena ... I can't find what you've referenced as "BH" to know what it means. Maybe I'm having a blonde moment ??? (No offence to all the blondes out there :o )

By BH, Erny, I mean Black Hawk Holistic, but myself & others tend not to mention the full name, cause there are some people on these forums, who think we are advertising & some of us have been told not to mention it's name unless we are specifically on the Black Hawk post, so we try to abide by that. :) Any other brand of food can be mentioned, it seems, but not BH :laugh:

Oh.

But thanks for answering.

Hope you won't get into trouble for mentioning the full name.

Gosh :(.

Edited by Erny

Guest english.ivy

Coconut oil seems to be shrinking Ivys lipoma. She gets it in her dinner every night for the last week and both mum and I can feel it's smaller.

Nothing else in her diet has changed, apart from adding coconut oil. Organic extra virgin.

MEH, as you know Just like people dogs are increasingly getting more allergies. The dogs that have come to me with diagnosed allergies have improved dramatically under my advice. Although you are right and perhaps more specific about allergies and intolerances, the type of allergies and reactions are not so much of a concern for me - what is important is that the dogs stop itching and scratching - a real relief for the pets and their owners. One way or another, diet plays a big part on relieving allergies in dogs. At the very least itching will be reduced on a good diet.

From personal experience (the costly way) I think it is smart to try changing a dog's diet before spending big dollars and time on medical solutions when you don't know for sure what is causing the problems. Why spend hundreds of dollars on tests when 20-40 dollars on food may give you an answer.

I spent a lot of money on vet bills over a 9 year period for my Maltese dog Mishka because the vets believed she was "allergic to pollens in the air", yet the poor thing still had no relief. She would chew away at her paws all night and they were red raw. When I started dabbling in fresh organic dog food for Augustine naturally I fed it to Mishka as well. To my surprise just four days later the itching and chewing completely stopped. Not only that, but later on i discovered that the itching came back if she ate free range chicken, but went away when I switched her back to organic chicken.

Here is a youtube video that responds to some of the negative myths about coconut oil:

I have an allergic dog and have had experience with coconut oil - I think it's very important to be very very very careful with claims.

I am still very interested to know what your full experience has been with coconut oil, MEH. What the allergy was, what brand of CO, what did it do, how much were you using??????? You can't just make statements like this & not give us the details, especially when asked by those who are interested. :) You said yourself that you think it's so important to be very, very, very, careful with claims.

Edited by sheena

I use a horse product called Hi Shine on my dogs, it has coconut oil in it and I'd imagine you could use pure coconut oil the same way. http://www.hishine.net.au/page5.htm

I put about a capful in about 1.5 litres of warm water and tip it over the dog at the end of the bath making sure to get it all over them - I really love it and it keeps their skin and coat well moisturised and they look lovely and shiny (single short coated dogs)

My two BC's are continuing to look good on the coconut oil despite their daily swim in the family pool & poos are still great. Another big plus is that I made the most fabulous Gluten Free Lumberjack Cake using coconut oil instead of butter & it turned out the best one ever. :thumbsup: It gets a bit expensive though to use it in all the cooking compared to other oils or butter.

We read about coconut oil on another forum and how the poster was adding it to his GSD's diet to help with dry skin issues. We bought a bottle and within 5 days (1 tablespoon per day) our Mr Itchy had stopped scratching. However we have noticed that Mr Protein Food Allergy has now broken out in a rash. As nothing else has changed in his diet, I am hoping against hope he hasn't reacted to the oil (not just because we just had 4 litres delivered!) and it's just accidental exposure from the OH prepping his human meal.

No change in weight but we weigh every meal and watch their weight carefully. They used to get either flaxseed oil or canned sardines in oil before changing to coconut oil so that might be the reason for a lack in weight change too.

No change in weight but we weigh every meal and watch their weight carefully. They used to get either flaxseed oil or canned sardines in oil before changing to coconut oil so that might be the reason for a lack in weight change too.

Thanks... I do the same (weigh and monitor everything that goes in their gobs).... I have one older dog with health issues who badly needs condition and the coconut oil hasnt made any difference to him and a youngster (8 months) who is maintaining condition very easily and I have cut his food back but he is getting loose in ligamentation - and I cant figure out if its an age thing or the coconut oil....and loose ligamentation is the last thing I want.......

Thanks... I do the same (weigh and monitor everything that goes in their gobs).... I have one older dog with health issues who badly needs condition and the coconut oil hasnt made any difference to him and a youngster (8 months) who is maintaining condition very easily and I have cut his food back but he is getting loose in ligamentation - and I cant figure out if its an age thing or the coconut oil....and loose ligamentation is the last thing I want.......

Just curious to know why you think the coconut oil could be responsible for loose ligamentation...surely it is only one small part of his diet, could it be something else you are feeding him, given that he is only 8 months old. What is his main diet?? Coconut oil is a low calorie oil & can reduce weight in some dogs or put it on in others...I think it has to do with how their thyroid is functioning.

Just curious to know why you think the coconut oil could be responsible for loose ligamentation...surely it is only one small part of his diet, could it be something else you are feeding him, given that he is only 8 months old. What is his main diet?? Coconut oil is a low calorie oil & can reduce weight in some dogs or put it on in others...I think it has to do with how their thyroid is functioning.

Im not sure that the coconut oil is responsible - but he has got a bit loose which could be due to his age and growth. Im a BH feeder and coconut oil is the only change I've made to their diet and its intersting watching the difference between the two dogs - one is putting on condition and the other isnt since adding it and I was just curious as to whether anyone else had noticed any changes in their dogs condition.

Cheers

Im not sure that the coconut oil is responsible - but he has got a bit loose which could be due to his age and growth. Im a BH feeder and coconut oil is the only change I've made to their diet and its intersting watching the difference between the two dogs - one is putting on condition and the other isnt since adding it and I was just curious as to whether anyone else had noticed any changes in their dogs condition.

Cheers

I've noticed a HUGE difference in their coat condition & poos are still nice & firm & only two a day (I have mine on BH as well). I keep a good eye on their weight, but havn't had a chance to take them to the vets for a weigh-in since being on the oil. They don't appear to have had any weight change. Energy levels are great. I doubt (maybe wrong) if it could cause loose ligamentation, more likely to be the fact that your pup is growing....what has the vet said about it. Is your breed prone to it??

What I find with any topic like this is that people have good experiences and others have bad experiences. It depends on the individual dog. I don't think once a dog does well on a particular food, shampoo, insert topic of choice here that people should just change because, 'Oh, so and so had a good experience with it so I'll change over, too.' Taking the word of someone who may have no expertise in anything is rather foolish. This goes equally for shampoo, food supplement, kibble or raw enthusiasts. Leave your poor dogs alone unless the dog starts having a reaction to something. They're not home-based lab rats.