Coconut Oil

sheena

I bought a bottle of organic coconut oil yesterday & have been googling some of it's benefits. I thought I might add a bit to my dogs' diets to try & help counteract the effects that swimming in our pool is having on their coats. I was just reading about rubbing it into your horse's tail as a conditioner. Has anybody here used it directly onto the dog's coat & does it leave it greasy?? I thought I should add about 1 tablespoon to their diet (building up gradually to avoid sloppy poos). Does this sound about right for 20 kilo BC's?? I would be interested to know what other benefits DOL's have found for Coconut Oil. When I was a teenager, (45 - 50 yrs ago) we used to rub it into our skin before sunbaking (gave a lovely tan) & from what I have just read, maybe it was, after all, beneficial & is safer than sunscreen :confused:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just started on the Coconut oil too (virgin pressed and organic).....I have had a lot of allergy issues with one of my dog and someone on another forum has been very helpful in some recommendations. They also have a web page on feeding/diet for dogs www.augustineapproved.com or facebook.com/augustineapproved. They were just very helpful.

Here are also some links on coconut oil they gave me

http://www.cocotherapy.com/products_coconutoil.htm

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/article10612.htm

Guest english.ivy

I bought coconut oil for human use but haven't really used it yet.

I'd be interested to read if I can give it to the dogs aswell.

I have just started on the Coconut oil too (virgin pressed and organic).....I have had a lot of allergy issues with one of my dog and someone on another forum has been very helpful in some recommendations. They also have a web page on feeding/diet for dogs www.augustineapproved.com or facebook.com/augustineapproved. They were just very helpful.

Very interesting websites. Where do you buy it and how much to do you give a Newfie?

Very interesting websites. Where do you buy it and how much to do you give a Newfie?

I just bought mine from the health food shop. It was around $12 for a 380g jar. I am working up to giving my BC's 1 tablespoon a day but would like someone to confirm that as not being excessive. I ate a spoonful myself before breakfast & found it a bit sickly, but I think that was more the thought of eating a spoonful of oil, rather than the coconutty flavour. If I want to use it, personally, to help me lose weight, I have to build it up to 4 tablespoons a day....Hmmmmmm...not sure if I could consume that much :D

I just bought mine from the health food shop. It was around $12 for a 380g jar. I am working up to giving my BC's 1 tablespoon a day but would like someone to confirm that as not being excessive. I ate a spoonful myself before breakfast & found it a bit sickly, but I think that was more the thought of eating a spoonful of oil, rather than the coconutty flavour. If I want to use it, personally, to help me lose weight, I have to build it up to 4 tablespoons a day....Hmmmmmm...not sure if I could consume that much :D

Thanks Sheena- I'll check it out next time I get to the shops. I can't imagine consuming 4 tablespoons of oil a day either. Also you'd go through it pretty quickly with a human and the dogs.

we used to rub it into our skin before sunbaking (gave a lovely tan) & from what I have just read, maybe it was, after all, beneficial & is safer than sunscreen :confused:

I'd be using proper sunscreen and learning to cope with having paler skin. Tanning is dangerous and coconut oil provides no sun protection. Your skin may be more moist after tanning using coconut oil (like how a roast leg of meat that's been basted with fat with be moist) but the damage is still done and in time, it'll all catch up with you.

Anyways..

If you want to eat a particular amount of it per day, it can be used in place of butter or margarine in cooking or food prep. You do have to use much smaller amounts for savoury food though as the coconut taste is pretty strong.

I give my greyhounds a tablespoon every couple of days so for a BC, I'd probably give less.

Also, I'd be reading those pro-coconut articles with a healthy dose of skepticism. Lots of things slipped in there that aren't researched but still claimed..

When coconut oil is eaten, the body transforms its unique fatty acids into powerful antimicrobial powerhouses capable of defeating some of the most notorious disease-causing microorganisms...

...Numerous reports published on discussion forums provide impressive anecdotal evidence on how coconut oil has cleared up smelly ear infections in dogs,

It's a palatable fat source and great for giving dogs a bit of extra fat in winter but I'd not be putting too much stock in some of the other claims.

we used to rub it into our skin before sunbaking (gave a lovely tan) & from what I have just read, maybe it was, after all, beneficial & is safer than sunscreen :confused:

I'd be using proper sunscreen and learning to cope with having paler skin. Tanning is dangerous and coconut oil provides no sun protection. Your skin may be more moist after tanning using coconut oil (like how a roast leg of meat that's been basted with fat with be moist) but the damage is still done and in time, it'll all catch up with you.

Anyways..

If you want to eat a particular amount of it per day, it can be used in place of butter or margarine in cooking or food prep. You do have to use much smaller amounts for savoury food though as the coconut taste is pretty strong.

I give my greyhounds a tablespoon every couple of days so for a BC, I'd probably give less.

Also, I'd be reading those pro-coconut articles with a healthy dose of skepticism. Lots of things slipped in there that aren't researched but still claimed..

When coconut oil is eaten, the body transforms its unique fatty acids into powerful antimicrobial powerhouses capable of defeating some of the most notorious disease-causing microorganisms...

...Numerous reports published on discussion forums provide impressive anecdotal evidence on how coconut oil has cleared up smelly ear infections in dogs,

It's a palatable fat source and great for giving dogs a bit of extra fat in winter but I'd not be putting too much stock in some of the other claims.

I got sucked in by all the health claims too - bought a 500g jar from the health food shop and gave it to my 3 dogs over about 2 - 3 months. Didn't notice a change in anything :eek::eek:

We've been giving our 3 dogs the cold pressed coconut oil, 1tsp per day straight on their food for over 12mths. They love it. (we have small-medium dogs)

We had lots of trouble with one of our dogs with skin allergies needing steroids to treat. He's not needed drugs since being on the coconut oil.

We get a lot of comments on our whippets and how thick and glossy their coats are.

We will keep them on it.

A BC could handle a tablespoon with no dramas.

MnDM

I've been feeding it to Mandela in an attempt to improve/remedy his digestive issues. He's been on it for a while, but at a lower dose rate than should have been, just to get his system used to it.

There are 3 things that I've been doing of late that are a bit different :

1. Took him to a chiropractor who adjusted his back (and a couple of other areas)

2. Have been frequently switching his protein sources.

3. Increased his coconut oil dosage to what it should be (in his case, 6 teaspoons - based on 35kg weight).

It was around the time of the increase in the coconut oil dosage that his body condition seems to have improved, but this could be coincidental and/or it could be because of the other things I am doing that might also be contributing to the improvement I am seeing (will it last, though .... that's the burning question). Coat is good. Watching for improvement of what we believe to be Ear Margin Vestilosis (sp?) but nothing overtly noticeable at this point. Mandela loves the coconut (virgin; cold pressed; unrefined .... I use the "Melrose" brand. 900gram tin costs me $31.65. 1.8kg tin proves cheaper but can't remember by how much. Ears seem to be remaining fairly clean (whereas he used to produce blackish gunk - improved by "Ear Clear" but not completely, but clean now - attributed to coconut oil? Can't tell).

I use the coconut oil as well. I use it to cook with and I put a good two teaspoon dollop in a cup of coffee and/or hot chocolate drink. Not bad (moisturises the lips as you drink, lol). I use it in place of lotion as well. I've been doing this for about a month. I think it has helped - especially if skin needs to heal. But I don't use it in place of sunscreen.

Yes - you can use it on the dog's skin but it can attract dust/dirt until it has dried off/soaked in. I'm inclined to use Calendula Tea as a wash and let the dog ingest the Coconut Oil. I used to swim my previous girl on a regular basis and always rinsed the chlorinated pool water off with fresh water. I avoid shampoos now, of any description.

IMO, I think the Coconut Oil is worth using/trying. But be prepared to give it a while to see if it does anything to help/improve.

NOTE: My dog's skin and coat improved to a good degree once we'd diagnosed hypothyroidism (via Dr Jean Dodds in USA) and commenced with thyroid medication. It didn't fix everything and nothing in a big hurry. But I can't help believing that was a good part an underlying cause of some of his problems. I have managed to avoid the administration of chemicals in any shape or form, but it has taken a good deal of experimentation and patience.

Edited by Erny

Newfsie, where did you find info on augustineapproved.com? All it says is 'launching soon', facebook does not really say anything about the food either (except how great it is.....).

I'm always interested in anything like this as I have an allergic puppy at the moment:-)).

Having a dog with allergies i can honestly say the only thing thats helped him itch wise is his immunotherapy shots, 18 months on and i can see a huge difference in him. Digestion problems iv found can only be helped be working out what causes an issue, sometimes that can change too! Very frustrating but my boy is slowly coming right. Its hard having a puppy now because everytime he scratches i feel paranoid.

Thanks everyone for the comments re: coconut oil. Interesting Erny, that you use it in your coffee...is that in place of milk?? The dogs love it & will eat it straight off the spoon & so far, no runny poos. I have been using it in place of moisturiser & it's good, but I will have to get used to the smell of coconuts. As far as eating 4 tablespoons a day....well....I think I will give that one a miss, but I might try some in my coffee & start using it in my cooking. Wonder how it goes for using it in a wok for stirfries etc.

I found this interesting site, which needs to be read with an open mind 80 Uses for Coconut Oil

Edited by sheena

I give mine a table spoon in each meal, which is twice a day....So far no weightgain. The stuff we use is human grade..........Augustine Approved also sells it in melbourne I think and yes it is fine for dogs according to Augustine approved

Edited by newfsie

I found this interesting site, which needs to be read with an open mind 80 Uses for Coconut Oil

"Interesting" is certainly one way of putting it, yes.

As I said before, it's a good fat source (especially for dogs that are fed kibble) but the claims of it being useful for HIV, autism, asthma, herpes (and so on and so forth- that list wasn't much different from every other "miracle" natural product) are, if you'll excuse the bluntness, bullsh*t.

It's not a miracle product and should be used the same as you'd use any other sort of fat source. You wouldn't shovel lard into your dog without considering very carefully how it contributes to your dog's overall energy intake, lipids are still lipids.

I honestly don't think it can be of much benefit to most dogs beyond use as a fat additive. We use it for the hounds for two reasons- to get condition on dogs quickly to make desexing a little easier and in winter to help them maintain weight and proper coat (some will grow a kennel coat if they drop too much in winter).

Actual skin conditions need to be treated with a product containing active ingredients of proven efficacy. Anyone can post a claim on the internet without even a shred of evidence to back it up- before you believe anything about a "health" product, look for peer-reviewed studies (preferably not conducted by the company selling the product) to confirm what's being claimed.

typo

Edited by Hardy's Angel

Next time I will get a bigger jar. Just the thought of consuming 4 tablespoons a day would be enough to put me off my food :thumbsup:

We use it on our toast instead of butter! kids love it, also it is great in a smoothy gives it a creamier smooth taste(who would have thought :rofl: )

a great smoothy combo...

Frozen banana

Raspberries (any berries will do)

oat milk (or any milk)

coconut oil

NUM NUM

sometimes I add Kale when feeling brave!

easy way to get 4 tablespoons in :)

Guest Augustine Approved

Ah coconut oil... one of my favourite ingredients :)

Thank you for those that have shown interest in finding out more about Augustine Approved products. While our primary goal is to educate people on how to better prepare their own dog's meals,this is not always possible. Naturally not everyone has the time or expertise to prepare fresh balanced meals so in time we hope to show you why feeding Augustine Approved products will turn your dog into a super dog. We will be officially up and running shortly, thank you for your patience. In the meantime if you would like to purchase Organic Virgin Coconut Oil or to try Augustine's Super Food please send us a private message.

Newfsie has posted a couple of interesting articles about coconut oil that are definitely worth a read. Wether or not it is a "miracle food" doesn't concern me, what I can tell you from personal experience is that it has greatly contributed to Augustine's health in a number of ways. I will set aside the wonder claims and topical uses of coconut oil and just focus on some basics of feeding that may be of interest.

Before expecting to see a huge noticeable improvement in a dog's health after using organic virgin coconut oil I recommend we first look at a dogs overall diet. I say this because virgin organic coconut oil is just one of the many contributing ingredients to a dogs health. For example, we cannot eat unhealthy fast food and smoke every day and then expect not to put on weight because we drink low fat milk. Another example is when our dogs suffer from allergies and we pump them with "medications" to reduce the itching but we never actually get to the root of the problem which in most cases is in one form or another diet related.

Some important questions:

- What percentage of a dog's diet is made up of organic virgin coconut oil? Just like any good ingredient, it must be consumed in moderation.

- What is the fat and protein content of a dog's diet?

- What type of food is the dog eating (kibble, canned, fresh - cooked or raw, bones, treats)?

- Where is the majority of fat coming from in the dog's diet? Is it from the coconut oil or the meat?

- How food much is the dog consuming on a daily basis?

- What is the quality of the food? Is it organic or has the food been put through processes not labelled on the packaging (eg. retorting or irradiating)?

- How many ingredients are there in the food that have no benefit or ill effects on a dog (preservatives, additives, fillers etc)?

Virgin Coconut Oil is 100% fat and probably the purest, highest quality fat on earth in my eyes. Dogs need to eat fat as this is how they get their energy. To quote two important sections of those articles...

1. "The vast majority of the fats and oils you eat, whether they are saturated or unsaturated or come from an animal or a plant, are composed of long-chain triglycerides. Probably 98 to 100% of all the fats we eat consist of LCT. Coconut oil is unique because it is composed predominately of medium-chain triglycerides. The size of the fatty acid is extremely important because physiological effects of medium-chain fatty acids in coconut oil are distinctly different from the long-chain fatty acids more commonly found in our diet. It's the MCT in coconut oil that make it different from all other fats and for the most part gives it its unique character and healing properties. Almost all of the medium-chain triglycerides used in research, medicine, and food products come from coconut oil."

2. "Eating foods containing MCT is like putting high octane fuel into your car. The car runs smoother and gets better gas mileage. Likewise, with MCT your body performs better because it has more energy and greater endurance. Because MCFA are funneled directly to the liver and converted into energy, the body gets a boost of energy. And because MCFA are easily absorbed by the energy-producing organelles of the cells, metabolism increases. This burst of energy has a stimulating effect on the entire body."

I agree with the article quotes 100% and have witnessed these results on a number of dogs where the majority of their fat content has come from organic virgin coconut oil. it gives them energy, they exercise more, they burn more energy, they stay slimmer. It's a great cycle!

It will be difficult to increase the weight of a dog if organic virgin coconut oil is their main source of fat. Having said that, in my experiences dogs who eat good food are naturally at a healthy slim weight. I believe the claims about dogs with increased energy levels, endurance and recovery to be true. Again, it has to be measured under the correct conditions. If I fed Augustine on Augustine's Super Food for 2 days she is unstoppable and her recovery time has to be seen to be believed. The second I introduced raw bones into her diet she becomes a little more sluggish and gains 1-2 kilos. This is because the of the LCT in the fat on the bones. I have no issue with this as she is a very lean dog and also bones are very important for maintaing healthy teeth and gums. The reason she slows down a bit is because not only is she carrying more weight but naturally having to digest bones takes more out of her body, similar to us eating a big steak and not wanting to move.

Before I turned vegetarian I used to get lean chicken squares and cook them in a frying pan with nothing but organic virgin coconut oil. I couldn't believe the flavour. Yummy!

I hope this info has been of some help.

Phivo

Edited by Augustine Approved