Cortisone And Allergies

JulesP

Has anyone found that cortisone cream has made their dog's allergies worse?

I've tried a couple of different creams now and they seem to hurt as they are going on and they make Amber rub even more.

Aloe vera gel and Quit Itch seem to give her more relief.

I've tried Neocort and just got some Elocon.

I'm quite limited in what I can use because of her liver problem.

I've tried a couple of different creams now and they seem to hurt as they are going on and they make Amber rub even more.

If you use too much you will make it worse. It's the same with people and cortisone.

Instructions are usually to use it sparingly other wise you end up in a vicious cycle.

Large amounts of cortisone cream can affect the body's natural levels which makes the itch itchier and you then need more cortisone cream to tame it (if that makes sense?).

Keeping her cool may help - ice in a towel on the itchy part perhaps?

Only one application makes her go nutty so she hasn't had too much of it. Heat is definitely making it worse. I wanted to keep her inside today but no airco and the heat was making her agitated.

I had a choice of elocon or the cortavance spray and went for the elocon today after a bit of a google.

Curash powder soothes. Put it on just before dinner or a walk to change the subject for a while.............aloe vera gel is great, also put on before a diversion

I stopped putting the cream on the rash (only put on a couple of times), used eye drop cream around her eyes and aloe vera on her belly and it is now clearing up. She is pretty scabby looking but the red rash has gone.

I swear that the cortisone cream makes it worse!

Someone suggested that it is staph but I don't see how it can be as there isn't a primary rash, plus she is on antibiotics for her liver which I would have thought would prevent staph. Whatever it is it comes and goes very quickly.

You know me .... I recommend using Calendula Tea as a skin wash to help soothe irritated skin and to steer away from secondary skin infections.

If you've tried this though and found it not to work, something I've read (but haven't tried, so not attesting to it at this stage) is the use of Bicarb Soda. From the book I have ("Bicarbonate of Soda" by Diane Sutherland & ors) which relates to humans rather than dogs (so again, I can't attest to its suitability of use on dogs, but would think it would be ok .... my opinion needs checking though) it suggests using 400g/14oz/2 cups in a cool bath should be enough to relieve the symptoms (note, not a cure). It goes on to suggest that if that doesn't do the trick and/or there are particular areas of the body causing more intense discomfort, neat bicarbonate of soda can be rubbed into those areas for even more relief.

Just for interest sake, it goes on to say that the same can be used to soothe skin that has become sunburnt. And whilst I'm at it, mixing the Bicarb into a paste with a little water can be used to relieve insect bites and stings.

As I mentioned, I haven't tried this on my own nor any other dog but can't see the harm in trying it to see how it goes. If you think likewise and try it, please let me know the results.

I found that my girl was licking the cream off as quick as I was putting it on. My girl had a hotspot that she made turn worse within 24hrs, so the vet gave her anitobiotics & cortisone cream. It worked for a coulple of days but never really looked like getting better so I started thinking what we use to on our s show horses & we used B.O.Z ointment for scars & itchy spots on horses. It consists of Boric acid, zinc oxide & olive oil, so I thought well i'd give it a try. I put it on about 3 times a day & just adding a sprinkle of curash powder to help dry out a little. With in 2 days she had ceased all together of trying to scratch or lick the spot that a week before was bleeding from her constent licking. Boric acid is for antifungal & the zinc & olive oil is great for promoting new hair growth. Gold Cross makes it & it comes in a 100g tub for 6.95 & you can buy it at your local chemist. Worked great for my girl better then the cortisone cream!

Guest Clover

Harri has Neocort cream at the moment, and just had a 7 day cortisone shot. I am going to have to work out something long term with him though as he is only a youngester and cant live on cortisone :(. Jules one of our vets said even using aloveen conditioner as a cream can help soothe them a bit.

Poor Harri is crying from the itching at the moment, off to the bath we go :(.

Erny i have been looking for calendula tea but cannot find it. Is it more a health food store product?

I've got my own contact allergy at the moment so thought I would test out some stuff!

Used the Elocon (cortisone) last night and it was really ouchy to put on. Did nothing for the itch either. Allergy actually woke up in the middle of the night. Put on some antiseptic cream which didn't hurt but itch started back pretty quickly. Put the Aloe on this morning and no itch now!

Erny i have been looking for calendula tea but cannot find it. Is it more a health food store product?

Yes - it is a Health Food Store product. Let me know if you can't find any (although that would be unusual) and I'll do what I can to get some from down here and send it up to you.

ETA: Sorry it's taken me a couple of days to re-visit you. How's the itching going? It's awful, isn't it, so see them so uncomfortable. I hope you get on to some Calendula Tea pretty quickly. It is such a natural and benign stuff to use, yet (generally speaking) so good in easing the itch and fairly quickly. You won't have to use it and wait an age to know whether it is working or not. You should see fairly clear signs of improvement inside 12 hours of use if not sooner (in my experience).

Edited by Erny

After I stopped treating the rash it cleared up pretty quickly. She has a few red spots on her belly but looks pretty good apart from that. She did have some tremors tonight so obviously her liver is under a bit of stress.