Endurance Test 2012

We are all the way out in the Yarra Valley so a bit far for a practice :laugh: but thank you for the offer!

We have our medical tonight in an hour :thumbsup:

Really happy with the 'boy', I was a bit worried he was getting a bit sluggish so took him out with another dog and lets say it made all the difference :rofl: I suppose doing 10 ks a day at a hard fast trot along the same path gets a bit boring. We encounterd bridges, countless bikes, horses, and dogs and he just puts his head down and goes. We have been going out wind, rain, hail and snow :eek: Suppose you will never know what the weather will bring in a couple of weeks. I am very happy with him.

Still a bit stressed about 'the test' but what do you do. Is anyone going to be at the Park on the weekend who would be happy to go through it with me?

I will make sure I bring some wine and the camera :laugh: :laugh:

Hi Sno Paws I will be at the Park Sun morn, for Obed training with Westernport club, by the way do you realize there will be shows on there :( both Sat & Sun so it will be a bit hard to do some bike training with cars & trailers everywhere :(

Yep I know, I have four entered myself :)

I wasn't planning on bringing the bike, just wondering if anyone who had already done the test would be happy to go over the willingness test quickly with me.

Hi SnoPaws, I will be happy to help you with the willingness test, Pm me :D

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't planning on bringing the bike, just wondering if anyone who had already done the test would be happy to go over the willingness test quickly with me.

The willingness test is easy. It is not obedience at trial standard. It can be done on lead, you can double command, and physically assist your dog.

It will involve a simple heeling pattern. Forward, right turn, halt, about turn etc.

it will also involve a short recall on or off lead, your choice.

The dog does not have to perform to trial standard.

As a judge, all I want to see is that the dog is "willing" to follow your instruction and willing to work for you.

M

I tried to contact the person responsible for the GSDCV test but they haven't returned my calls. I'll try again tomorrow otherwise we'll have to wait for next year.

Do try again. Marilyn Wrigley is the contact person. Her number is 5330 1578.

I am quite sure that if the catalogue is not complete, they may squeeze in a late entry. Let us know how you go.

M

Ok, I think I've rung this number about 20 times now and it's either engaged or no one answers! Guess this years ET is not meant to be for us ;(

Edited by Nik

Ok, I think I've rung this number about 20 times now and it's either engaged or no one answers! Guess this years ET is not meant to be for us ;(

Keep trying! I now Marilyn is hard to gt hold off, but if she can get you into the test, she will.

M

Sorry Murve, I was on the couch all weekend with, with THE MAN FLU :eek:

I was actually coughing so much I put my back out and had to go and see my back man, gawd I hate getting old :laugh: :laugh:

In better news, Fergus went out for a test run. 10ks out, 20 minute break for lunch and 10ks back home, very happy with how he is travelling.

The forecast is looking quite chilly for next Saturday!!

Sorry Murve, I was on the couch all weekend with, with THE MAN FLU :eek:

I was actually coughing so much I put my back out and had to go and see my back man, gawd I hate getting old :laugh: :laugh:

In better news, Fergus went out for a test run. 10ks out, 20 minute break for lunch and 10ks back home, very happy with how he is travelling.

The forecast is looking quite chilly for next Saturday!!

Sorry to hear you had the "man flu"

well at least it wont be hot for the trial :)

didnt get any training in over the weekend but will be cramming training is this week looking at going morning & late arvo runs, we can do 6k's but would like to get Malika upto 8k's :)

l wish l could cram some big training in this last week but l would be afraid of over doing it and ending up with a lame dog. My cocker went lame a few weeks out from the trial last year and over doing it during the last week would leave no recovery time. l'm just taking it easy our last big session was on sat and that was 10.8km's.

Our training is going well, slowly working up.....I am more worried about me not being able to do it rather than the dog :o and unfortunately don't know anyone else who could swap in (they have to be a DogsVic member yeah?)

Still doing it though, hopefully don't let my boy down :laugh:

Our training is going well, slowly working up.....I am more worried about me not being able to do it rather than the dog :o and unfortunately don't know anyone else who could swap in (they have to be a DogsVic member yeah?)

I could ask my daughter Tollerowned, she is a member of Dogs Vic that is if you get desperate :)

We will be there with bells on :rofl:

do you want to car pool Toller ???????? we have trailer & a 4 bike rack

Hi tollersowned,

all handlers do need to be DogsVic members (or interstate equivalent)

M

This weekend will be a busy one for Endurance tests with tests being held in Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne.

Get your training in early this week and then from Thursday onwards, REST YOUR DOGS.

If they can do it at training early this week, they will be fine for the weekend.

Any questions from anyone are always welcome.

Looking forward to meeting up with all DOL'ers at the GSDCV test in Altona. I'll be the one that looks like a judge! :))

M

Hi tollersowned,

all handlers do need to be DogsVic members (or interstate equivalent)

M

Thanks for that and the tip as well, I would still be biking him around Thursday and Friday but you're right he can do it so I will just take one of the others out or by myself :D

Got his soundness cert done today, all good to go :D

We will be finishing up with a 8km walk on Thursday, be sure to come over and say hi this year again M, we will be the ones with the min pin. l'm really looking forward to this ET l think we have done the hard yards and he should be fine willingness test is still abit iffy it's not his strong point and l should not have left it till the last week. He's willing enough just not sure what all this sit stuff is about. His free stacking is fab if that counts ????

Just remember if your doing lots of km's the last few days watch your dogs paw pads.

anyone feel the earthquake?

M

We felt it here good & proper, the house shook for a good 1min, yes things did hit the floor :eek: we only had 1 dog out of 5 freaked out, poor little bugger didnt know what was happening :eek:

Our little girl was very eager to train today, she was like a bull out of pen :laugh: we ended covering 8.5k's, I think for a Papillon she is loving it.

Hi All,

remember to rest your dogs before Saturday's Tests.

Make sure you go through your checklist of what to bring. Do remember to bring your dogs!!!!

The weather in Melbourne does not appear look like it is going to be kind. Dress appropriately. ( No, not black tie or twin set and pearls) wear layers of clothes that you can discard during the cycling/running if you need to. Remember wet weather gear and also remember the wind chill factor. Hats or ear warmers under your helmets, gloves that cover the whole finger, and change of shoes and socks.

If you are into the cycling gear, the padded shorts are a must as are the leg warmers, thermal jackets, gloves and ear warmers.

Good luck to all!

M