Exercising Reactive Dogs Thread

Today was a good day to own a norty dog. Up early to training with my wonderful trainers who know how to stretch us but always make sure we are successful. Very successful distracted recalls from barking at a fence line of barking big dogs. Nice heeling work right next to the little dogs enclosure and best of all I had the confidence to stop at the coffee shop at the plant nursery on the way home and we wandered through the rose gardens and shared a muffin. What bliss.????

My muzzle for Koda came in the mail this morning. I decided to start with a bit of positive rienforcement before i had to head out for the rest of the day. Koda was going really well with it, so i put it on him for a couple of minutes. In that two minutes, my Mum let Dodge (my Kelpie) into the backyard where Koda was, i could see she was acting strange, and all the sudden as Koda was trying to play with her, Dodge just lashed out and attacked Koda. This has never happened before, and so not like Dodge at all! I'm just presuming that Dodge was a bit freaked out by the muzzle... :confused:

I'm going to work with it again tomorrow, hopefully i can get both dogs to be very happy with the muzzle.

Gosh how awful for all of you. Is Koda ok?

Only a guess but maybe she didn't recognise Koda with his muzzle on, and got territorial thinking there was a strange dog in her yard?

As you say, you might need to condition them both to be cool with the muzzle.

Today was a good day to own a norty dog. Up early to training with my wonderful trainers who know how to stretch us but always make sure we are successful. Very successful distracted recalls from barking at a fence line of barking big dogs. Nice heeling work right next to the little dogs enclosure and best of all I had the confidence to stop at the coffee shop at the plant nursery on the way home and we wandered through the rose gardens and shared a muffin. What bliss.????

YAY! Wonderful :) He's coming along so well with all his training isn't he! You must be starting to feel like you have a different dog?

I took Del to club last night and she exceeded my expectations so much. She was so relaxed. I think all the BAT training I did around the suburb must have payed off somehow. I was so chuffed with her :D

However I did realise that we need to take a leaf out of your book Hankdog and polish up on our obedience training. As I realised I haven't done a lot with her last night when we were following the class. We had lots of wonky sits and slow crooked drops, and I haven't taught her 'stand' at all :laugh:

My muzzle for Koda came in the mail this morning. I decided to start with a bit of positive rienforcement before i had to head out for the rest of the day. Koda was going really well with it, so i put it on him for a couple of minutes. In that two minutes, my Mum let Dodge (my Kelpie) into the backyard where Koda was, i could see she was acting strange, and all the sudden as Koda was trying to play with her, Dodge just lashed out and attacked Koda. This has never happened before, and so not like Dodge at all! I'm just presuming that Dodge was a bit freaked out by the muzzle... :confused:

I'm going to work with it again tomorrow, hopefully i can get both dogs to be very happy with the muzzle.

Only a guess but maybe she didn't recognise Koda with his muzzle on, and got territorial thinking there was a strange dog in her yard?

Yes Koda was fine, Dodge didn't bite him, she just lunged and growled. They both jumped up on their back legs while holding each other and growling/snapping but no one actually got bitten. Even if Dodge did nip Koda, his thick coat would have protected him.

Both dogs were much better with it today, Koda is now happily walking around wearing it, and although I didn't let Dodge in with Koda, I did let them meet through the fence. That went really well, Dodge seems to have realised that the muzzle is not a bad thing :) I am a little concerned with the size of the muzzle though. Because they're not stocked in my area, I had to order online (something i hate doing if it involves sizing) anyway so despite the fact that we measured Koda's muzzle and asked various online stores what size they thought would fit (all of which said medium). I think the muzzle is too small. It does fit, but one of the top bars sits almost directly on his nostrils, and he has very little room to open his mouth at all. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking him out in it on a hot day, he'd overheat in no time. So hopefully i can get it swapped for a larger size... and then maybe i can finally get out there and do some training :laugh:

Edited by maddogdodge

Yes Koda was fine, Dodge didn't bite him, she just lunged and growled. They both jumped up on their back legs while holding each other and growling/snapping but no one actually got bitten. Even if Dodge did nip Koda, his thick coat would have protected him.

Both dogs were much better with it today, Koda is now happily walking around wearing it, and although I didn't let Dodge in with Koda, I did let them meet through the fence. That went really well, Dodge seems to have realised that the muzzle is not a bad thing :) I am a little concerned with the size of the muzzle though. Because they're not stocked in my area, I had to order online (something i hate doing if it involves sizing) anyway so despite the fact that we measured Koda's muzzle and asked various online stores what size they thought would fit (all of which said medium). I think the muzzle is too small. It does fit, but one of the top bars sits almost directly on his nostrils, and he has very little room to open his mouth at all. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking him out in it on a hot day, he'd overheat in no time. So hopefully i can get it swapped for a larger size... and then maybe i can finally get out there and do some training :laugh:

Yes I must admit, I was hoping for a little more room for them to open their mouth. Yeah it's frustrating when the sizing doesn't match up isn't it? Especially when you have to send it back!

I'm glad Koda was ok and that all has been good between them since :)

I'm going very slowly with Del's muzzle training as I know that she is really sensitive to anything like that. But Koda sounds like he's doing really well with it :thumbsup:

I'm off right now to do another round of conditioning with it :)

Stand is pretty tricky, as soon as he's stood up and I say Good he plonks down for his reward so I have to kind of reach around and put my hand just under his belly to stop him sitting. Then he thinks I'm coming in close for a face licking!

The most successful way I was shown was just to pull the leash from under his chin slightly forward Just a gentle pressure so he comes up but doesn't step.

It's good you can take her to a club. I think Jake is more confident now that he knows he won't have to meet any dogs so a club with all the dogs training and minding their own business would be good. We aren't quite there but I have hope.

Zig did the same thing - they are conditioned to sit when you stop and then all of a sudden you want them to stand.. It must be confusing to even the smart dogs - so it took Zig a while to get it.

At home, I used to get him to heel, then stop (he would automatically sit at this point), so I would reach around in front of his face, going toward his back leg (saying stand) and put my hand just in front of his hind leg and lift him into a stand position, saying stand a second time when he stood.. Then treat (in our case ball, yes stand, yes, yes)..

In class now that same signal that goes around in front of his face, only needs to go to his ear now and he knows I want him to stand. He will also stand on vocal command only.. (Wish I could get him to drop on vocal command as easy as he stands).

He has been having issues with a limp - I thought it was his leg and the vet thought it was his back, so we did the x-rays and sadly at just two and a half years old he has been diagnosed with hip dysplasia.. Serious enough to warrant a discussion on hip replacement, stem cell therapy, physio, hydrotherapy and costs..

The vet suggested that I should choose between Rally-O and Obedience, so we are just going to do obedience. No more full on running at the park with all his mates as it puts too much pressure on his hips and he pulls up limping within 20 minutes of play time..

Our obedience club are so awesome - they know I have no interest in trialling so our trainer said to not make him sit at each 'stop' command anymore because the the sitting and standing and sitting and standing will be hard on his hips. She said we will make allowances for our class clown :)

I am sad for him - all the things he loves.. Jumping over stuff, running as fast as he can chasing balls or playing shoulder bargy with his mates at the park - all has to stop or I have to teach him how to reign it in (how do you teach a dog to slow down??).. I guess it will be another learning curve for us and we are definitely up for the challenge..

Right now we are doing cartrophen injections and I am researching HD and reading as much as I can - seems supplements play a big part in keeping dogs joints healthy. We are going to x-ray again in 6 months and if it has become worse, then we will look at stem cell therapy.

I am looking at selling my house (yes) to buy a place with a pool, so he can do hydrotherapy (the closest place to us is a couple of hours up the highway).

I know quite a few other dogs around this area who have similar issues and they can come and swim with him :)

Oh SL that's not great news. I know of a large dog at the dog park that had very successful stem cell therapy for hip dylsplaisia. If I remember he was less than a year when he was diagnosed and he was up to running around by the time I met him.

Hank had bad arthritis by the age if seven but the supplements and Cartrophen gave him another good 5 years. There is a lot of good that they can do so hopefully this will work out for Zig.

So far the only thing that seems to happen is that he pulls up limping on his left back leg after 15-20 minutes, if he is allowed to run at full speed the whole time (like he wants to)..

So we are working on slowing him down. He can still have a run but it has to be on soft ground (not paths, concrete, roads or hard ground) and it is preferred that it is not a full on run, just more like a doggy jog :)

No jumping either - he loves to jump the equipment at agility (which we won't be doing) and at home, he tends to jump onto the lounge - even when it is low enough for him to just slide onto it..

Hopefully we can halt the damage or slow it down enough, that it doesn't impact his life much at all.

We are off to Sydney tomorrow for our K9 Pro training session - I can't wait.. I am so excited, like a kid on Christmas Eve..

Going to bed early because it is about a 3.5-4 hour trip and I want to stop a couple of times so Zig can go the loo and have a travel break.

Sorry to hear about Zig's HD. Hopefully you will be able to manage it conservatively for many years.

Good luck for your session with Steve. I have no doubt you will love it. I came away feeling like I could conquer any problem :D admittedly that feeling does fade but Luka has improved immensely since we saw Steve. He's not perfect, I doubt he ever will be, but we now go to off lead beaches ( on a long line at the moment) and his better recall has improved his quality of life no end. I let him off lead at the local sports field and his recall is fantastic. We haven't upped the ante to other dog distractions yet but I really feel like we will get there now.

Wish I lived closer to Steve for some follow up sessions but for now, his online advice will have to do. I am getting better at doing you tube videos so he can see our progress.

Today I just feel like having a big whinge. I think many of you can relate to that feeling.

We made progress last week, and this week it's like it's all gone.

She's been hyper-aroused in situations she's previously been ok with.

She was a mess at club, and a mess today at the Lake.

It's just so frustrating :(

Raineth, Zig and I have always been one step forward and two steps back.. It can be very frustrating.

Well, what can I say about today - other than it was totally awesome.

I got so much out of it and Steve spent heaps of time with us.. He is doing up a training program for Zig and I to follow, so we may just go and do Rally-O next term, instead of obedience because I want to give his program 100%.. I know the higher obedience class won't tolerate that level of excitement (I have already been spoken to a couple of times, by someone in the class about talking to Zig too much and making him too excited)..

I came home and did a few minutes in the back yard with Zig, the same as what Steve was doing and the 'drive' he shows to do the same things, is unbelievable.

It is well worth the time and money to pick this his brain and get him to show you how to train..

Poor Ziggy was so sick going up and coming back. We stopped 3 times on the way up and the towel in his crate was soaking wet with drool. But he was fine as soon as he got out of the car.

Coming back we stopped 4 times to break it right up but it really made no difference.. He pants with his head down the whole way, poor guy.

He is exhausted after the trip, working with Steve and then the trip home.. So sound asleep on the lounge now..

Haha, yes he does have the Staffy Stubborn Gene..

He wouldn't lay down and try to go to sleep, where he wouldn't have to put up with the nausea - he remained standing with his head hanging and panting the whole way to Kurrajong and back (from Canberra). :laugh:

Raineth, Zig and I have always been one step forward and two steps back.. It can be very frustrating.

Well, what can I say about today - other than it was totally awesome.

I got so much out of it and Steve spent heaps of time with us.. He is doing up a training program for Zig and I to follow, so we may just go and do Rally-O next term, instead of obedience because I want to give his program 100%.. I know the higher obedience class won't tolerate that level of excitement (I have already been spoken to a couple of times, by someone in the class about talking to Zig too much and making him too excited)..

I came home and did a few minutes in the back yard with Zig, the same as what Steve was doing and the 'drive' he shows to do the same things, is unbelievable.

It is well worth the time and money to pick this his brain and get him to show you how to train..

Poor Ziggy was so sick going up and coming back. We stopped 3 times on the way up and the towel in his crate was soaking wet with drool. But he was fine as soon as he got out of the car.

Coming back we stopped 4 times to break it right up but it really made no difference.. He pants with his head down the whole way, poor guy.

He is exhausted after the trip, working with Steve and then the trip home.. So sound asleep on the lounge now..

Have you tried cerenia tablets?

I have never heard of them SnT..

I did discuss it with the vet but was told that everything they could give me, would make him drowsy to a degree and he needed to be alert.

Will google them because I am going to take him back after we finish the initial 8 weeks for a follow up.