British Bulldog - Flea Allergy Dermatitis

Carlo11

I put some Advocate on Pearl today which I got from the vet.She was due for treatment.I bought her some Ilium ear drops for her possible ear mites and was shown how to dilute the Malaseb to clean her ears.

I have bought a pile of pumpkin and sweet potatoe and will now split the meals into two feeds a day and increase the amount.

I bought Sudocream!

On the weekend,Ill get a better brand of dry dog food from a large pet supply store.But today she has had sardines and egg!

We will get there.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carlo

Forgot to ask. How much does Pearl weigh?

Depending on her weight now and what she should be then we can determine how much she should be getting. I would say though that she would be needing at least 1 and a half cups of moistened dry food plus added extras per meal at this stage until she has a good weight gain. My 25 kilo puppy (although very hot weather at the moment and his appettite has decreased) gets 1 and 1/4 cups per meal plus dog roll, treats and chicken plus cheese, sardines,

Weight to food ratio is on the packs as well. Proplan will result in less toilet output.

The better the food the less toilets.

:)

Just a tip, i buy my Advocate on line, saves about $40 a packet, try ebay, the power sellers. :)

Also, alot of the premuim foods like Proplan and Advocate give you a bag free after you have bought 10 bags, makes the price per bag much better, check my petstock does it.

I put some Advocate on Pearl today which I got from the vet.She was due for treatment.I bought her some Ilium ear drops for her possible ear mites and was shown how to dilute the Malaseb to clean her ears.

I have bought a pile of pumpkin and sweet potatoe and will now split the meals into two feeds a day and increase the amount.

I bought Sudocream!

On the weekend,Ill get a better brand of dry dog food from a large pet supply store.But today she has had sardines and egg!

We will get there.

You will get there. :)

I hope all the diet advice hasn't been too confusing. There are a few choices been suggested, but you wouldn't feed all the suggestions, just pick the ones you want.

1. If you are feeding sweet potato and pumpkin, you would just add meat to that, you wouldn't add any dry food. You would add oily fish or fish oil, and an egg, and the meat would be normal fatty meat , and not lean meat.

2. If you want to use dry food, use a super-premium dry food, and use that alone. A couple of brands have been suggested. If the dog was healthier you could buy a good dry food, but your dog isn't healthy yet, so you need excellent dry food. Supercoat is not a bad brand, but it isn't even close to the better ones available as far as nutrition goes.

Two points to keep in mind with your dog's diet.

1. Gluten is the ingredient in grains and cereals (and abundant in cheap dry food) that may cause a problem in an allergy prone dog. That is why people are suggesting the sweet potato and pumpkin, and telling you no rice or wheat ingredients. Oats is another one I can suggest as a low-gluten option, to add to a meat meal. Nature's Gift make a very bland chicken, vege and oats variety that might be a good solution for you (if convenience is important). You would just feed that, nothing else, and none of their other varieties. That one is a good variety for the itchy dogs. It is a supermarket canned food, but is a lot different from the cheap canned foods (which you should never feed that dog)

2. Oil is really important for the recovery of your dog's skin. Meat oil (lard) and fish oil is best for dogs (unlike people). The super-premium dry foods may have enough good oil in them. If you feed meat and veges, don't trim the fat from the meat. Meat with 10 or 20% fat is going to be fine. Too much fat is bad of course, but it is that fish and meat oil that will repair the dog's skin and hair.

Dogs don't need a lot of variety, and your dog needs a special diet for the coat to recover, and to lessen the chance of any further reactions. But there have been success stories with dogs like yours, so let's all hope for the best. :)

I bought Sudocream!

We will get there.

You will get there. :)

I hope all the diet advice hasn't been too confusing. There are a few choices been suggested, but you wouldn't feed all the suggestions, just pick the ones you want.

1. If you are feeding sweet potato and pumpkin, you would just add meat to that, you wouldn't add any dry food. You would add oily fish or fish oil, and an egg, and the meat would be normal fatty meat , and not lean meat.

2. If you want to use dry food, use a super-premium dry food, and use that alone. A couple of brands have been suggested. If the dog was healthier you could buy a good dry food, but your dog isn't healthy yet, so you need excellent dry food. Supercoat is not a bad brand, but it isn't even close to the better ones available as far as nutrition goes.

Two points to keep in mind with your dog's diet.

1. Gluten is the ingredient in grains and cereals (and abundant in cheap dry food) that may cause a problem in an allergy prone dog. That is why people are suggesting the sweet potato and pumpkin, and telling you no rice or wheat ingredients. Oats is another one I can suggest as a low-gluten option, to add to a meat meal. Nature's Gift make a very bland chicken, vege and oats variety that might be a good solution for you (if convenience is important). You would just feed that, nothing else, and none of their other varieties. That one is a good variety for the itchy dogs. It is a supermarket canned food, but is a lot different from the cheap canned foods (which you should never feed that dog)

2. Oil is really important for the recovery of your dog's skin. Meat oil (lard) and fish oil is best for dogs (unlike people). The super-premium dry foods may have enough good oil in them. If you feed meat and veges, don't trim the fat from the meat. Meat with 10 or 20% fat is going to be fine. Too much fat is bad of course, but it is that fish and meat oil that will repair the dog's skin and hair.

Dogs don't need a lot of variety, and your dog needs a special diet for the coat to recover, and to lessen the chance of any further reactions. But there have been success stories with dogs like yours, so let's all hope for the best. :)

Thanks for bullet pointing that in such a clear way.I hope to have some good success with her and ill update pics in this thread as we go so her progress can be shown.

I don't know about BB's in particular, but no dog should be in good condition and have as many ribs showing as she currently does .

Ribs should be able to be felt, or 'just' barely visible under the skin

..weight differs, depending on a dog's size, age etc .

She definitely needs more/better food to help her recover weight/muscle and skin health :) ..which is why two feeds were suggested . The quantity she needs is too much for one meal :)

Pearl is lucky she has you caring enough to ask for help.

There are many suggestions here for her diet so I won't add anymore. I do agree that the Sudoderm is great or Destin cream (which has a higher Zinc proportion as this will also give some sun protection to the hairless areas.

Mainly I wanted to say Pearl is very lucky to have you. Thank you for caring so much about her and getting her on the road to recovery.... :thumbsup:

How could anyone resist those eyes... :) Keep us posted with her progress

There are many suggestions here for her diet so I won't add anymore. I do agree that the Sudoderm is great or Destin cream (which has a higher Zinc proportion as this will also give some sun protection to the hairless areas.

Mainly I wanted to say Pearl is very lucky to have you. Thank you for caring so much about her and getting her on the road to recovery.... :thumbsup:

How could anyone resist those eyes... :) Keep us posted with her progress

Thanks.Her eyes know way too much! They are so expressive.I had to get some fly repellant for her today - Her ears got bitten again and she was bleeding.They suggested Repel X.They also suggested FiltaBac to cover her sore dry skin area as it will be both a barrier cream and sun repellant.The flies just swarm over her as if they know she is sickly yet they leave my own dog completely alone.

I don't have much to add...you are being given excellent advice. If yourstill looking for a good quality dry, as the owner of an allergy dog, I recommend Nutro chicken and rice formula (dry) - its low in most common allergens. Readilly available at most pet food stores. Ingredients are:

Dried Chicken, Ground Rice, Rice Flour, Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Fat, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavours, Oatmeal, Iodised Salt, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Natural Antioxidants (including Mixed Tocopherols and Rosemary Extract), Vitamin C, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulphate, Marigold Meal, Dried Kelp, Ferrous Sulphate, Copper Sulphate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B1), Niacin Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Selenium, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid.

What I really wanted to say is that I think you are amazing :thumbsup: I reckon it would of taken a lot of guts to perservere with getting her out of her situation. And that you are now putting so much effort into her recovery is truly inspiring.

Edited by Polgara's Shadow

That isnt my Staffy . . .Its my mothers old boy who came from a Sydney dog shelter.She is happy and contented and had a really nice trip to the lake.It did wear her out so much that she was snoring on her back like a Mack Truck when we got home.

Ive now got her on two meals a day and she seems to have more energy and is not as ravenous.She sees the vet again this coming Saturday.

And she wasnt chewing a stick at all . . ..she was flossing her teeth with it lol!!!