Adelaide Moonlight Cinema

Robbi

Sunday night the Moonlight Cinema is showing Red Dog at its venue at Botanic Park (next to the Botanic Gardens)and it is "Bring Your Dog Night" :thumbsup: sounds like it should be fun, more info is on the Event Cinema website.

Omg is it small dogs only? I would love to go to that with my partner but a night out just isn't the same without poochy. That said, I'm not sure how much movie watching would be going on, if Sammy is next to another dog and we're ignoring him trying to watch a movie, he will no doubt be wanting to introduce himself...

Edited by jacqui835

I forgot about that. thanks for the reminder!! Will have to ask hubby about ti again. My concern is how dog savvy people will be and how much space there is. Piper doesnt like dog's in her face but it sounds like such a fun night and a totally awesome idea.

It is a wonderful idea isn't it, I will take Yogi Whippet and he will probably sleep through the whole evening, Abbie is a bit high energy and will have to miss out.

I hope that people are all sensible and that it becomes a regular event :)

Here's a link to it...

Moonlight Cinema

There are the general rules on there and they sound basically like, if anyone is being a pain.. then out they go!

If I end up going, I might see you Robbi coz my Boz is a whippet and I love meeting em so will be on the lookout ;)

Here's a link to it...

Moonlight Cinema

There are the general rules on there and they sound basically like, if anyone is being a pain.. then out they go!

If I end up going, I might see you Robbi coz my Boz is a whippet and I love meeting em so will be on the lookout ;)

Just look for the biggest Whippet you have ever seen :laugh: That will be us. The weather sounds like it will be perfect as well.

Yep I think it will be gret fun! The westies and I are going with a group of friends so plenty of laps for them to snooze on!

Please say hello if you see us. My guys love meeting other dogs and it's gret to catch up with other DOLers.... :)

I can't speak for the Adelaide Moonlight Cinema, but I know for a fact that at the Brisbane one you can take your dogs to ANY showing, not just the Red Dog one last night which was advertised as dog-friendly. I have been to the Brisbane one a few times, in fact I was just there on Friday night watching Puss In Boots with my neighbour and her daughter. The organisers love seeing us as the boys are so well behaved, they always get a greeting and pat from the ticket-collectors :)

The area is a lot smaller than I was expecting it to be when I went for the first time, but realistically it's not an issue as all dogs are on lead all the time. And realistically, the dogs don't really have enough room to get very far from your blanket :) I always make sure we're towards the front as I don't want my dogs to be surrounded on all sides by people, so we try to be in the front row of blankets. I bring a water bowl & bottles of water, and a rawhide chew or frozen Kong for the dogs. I give it to them right at the end of the ads, just before the movie starts… this keeps them quiet for the first 30-45 mins of the movie. After that they tend to just have a drink and then they cuddle up to me and snooze.

I try not to sit near a family with loads of kids as I don't want the dogs being patted and played with throughout the movie. I also try to have the dogs sit on the opposite side of the blanket to anyone with food - as I have labradors and they are sooooooo food oriented it's not funny!

Every time we have been we've all had a brilliant night, I am all for supporting it as long as it runs because if we give it good support then hopefully it will be back next summer as well. It's so rare to find someplace you CAN take the dogs in Australia for a good night out (we're from the UK and I'm just so used to the dogs coming absolutely everywhere with me) that I want to support it while I can. If you go to the Brisbane one, just remember the aeroguard though - the mozzies descend and begin their feast about 3 mins after the movie starts :)

Found out last week that I can also take the dogs to our local drive-in cinema as well, so it will be Moonlight Cinema in the park in summertime, and the drive-ins throughout the winter :)

I hope those of you who went to Red Dog with your dogs last night really enjoyed it (they cancelled it here in Brisbane as we had torrential rain).

Thanks Ness - yes me, the westies and 4 other friends had a ball. We arrived early to nab our favourite spot, and had dinner including a few wines. All the doggies were really well behaved last night - mine included and because there are three of them (and they are super cute!! ;) ) they created quite a stir with the guys on the gate.

I was amazed at how many purebreeds were there too - only a couple of designer mutts - but even they didn't make their usual pests of themselves! The occasional barking at something on the screen was hysterical with the whole crowd dissolving into fits of laughter on a fairly regular basis! There was a gorgeous black and white collie along from us who made everyone laugh with his perfectly timed 'narration'! :rofl: Even my dogless friends said it was a great night, they thoroughly enjoyed themselves and thought the dogs were not only well behaved but really added to the night and it should continue.

Ness as you say its so nice to have somewhere where we can take our dogs. Australia seems so 'anti-dogs in public' compared with the rest of the world.

I think last night was a great success and I'll be surprised if it isn't continued. :thumbsup:

Hope other DOLers had a good time too. :)

ETA: I think it would be a great idea for any DOLers who went last night to contact the organisers, thank them and say how much we think it should become a regular thing that dogs are 'invited' to moonlight cinema screenings... just a thought. :)

ETA: Have just seen on the Moonlight Cinema FAQs that dogs are allowed at all screenings!! :thumbsup: - so yes you're right Ness. Its such a great thing to do with your dogs that I'll certainly be going more often now!

Edited by westiemum