Dogs - A Healthy Future

Bjelkier

This film, narrated by Clare Balding, looks at the issues affecting dog health and wellbeing in this country and what is being done in 2012 to help ensure that dog welfare stays at the top of the agenda.

'Dogs -- A Healthy Future', focuses on the main issues that affect dog health and welfare, including hereditary diseases, issues created by breeding dogs for the way that they look and the problem of cruel puppy farms that breed dogs for profit without regard for their health and welfare.

The film explores the steps that have already been taken to address these issues and the need for united action in order to ensure that the progress continues in 2012.

An interesting response to the short film can be found here

Excerpt:

Looking after canine welfare? The narrator claims (at 1.00) that the Kennel Club has been looking after the welfare of pedigree dogs for almost 150 years. This is a naked lie. In fact the single greatest threat to the welfare of pedigree dogs has been the Kennel Club itself. The reason for this is that the Kennel Club has:

... a) Generally closed breed registries with less than 50 dogs;

... b) Required all dogs be bred within closed gene pools;

... c) Routinely saluted morphological exaggeration, and;

. . d) Afforded zero points to health in the show ring.

The result, today, is that breed after breed on the Kennel Club's roster is a genetic and structural wreck. Canine insurance companies now charge higher premiums for Kennel Club dogs which are deemed to be less healthy than cross-breeds or mutts. Can there be any more powerful indictment of what 150 years of Kennel Club stewardship has meant for pedigree dogs?

Excerpt:

Looking after canine welfare? The narrator claims (at 1.00) that the Kennel Club has been looking after the welfare of pedigree dogs for almost 150 years. This is a naked lie. In fact the single greatest threat to the welfare of pedigree dogs has been the Kennel Club itself. The reason for this is that the Kennel Club has:

The result, today, is that breed after breed on the Kennel Club's roster is a genetic and structural wreck. Canine insurance companies now charge higher premiums for Kennel Club dogs which are deemed to be less healthy than cross-breeds or mutts. Can there be any more powerful indictment of what 150 years of Kennel Club stewardship has meant for pedigree dogs?

Obviously Terrierman is not a fan of the Kennel Club - seems he has some very definite opinions but are they really of relevance to what the objective of the film is or is there some old wounds. My favorite critisism is that he felt the Kennel Club was an Aryan grouping.....only white people showing dogs? mmmmmmm strange thought

Surely this film could be looked as a step forward, at least they are looking at themselves.

Excerpt:

Obviously Terrierman is not a fan of the Kennel Club - seems he has some very definite opinions but are they really of relevance to what the objective of the film is or is there some old wounds. My favorite critisism is that he felt the Kennel Club was an Aryan grouping.....only white people showing dogs? mmmmmmm strange thought

Surely this film could be looked as a step forward, at least they are looking at themselves.

I thought that was a little odd as well. Racism whether it exists or not is kind of besides the point.

However, although I don't agree with everything he says and he does seem to have a chip on his shoulder, he does raise some other valid points.

If the changes mentioned in the video are actually taking place effectively and progress is being made then that is fantastic.

I think it's important to bear in mind the timing of the vid, though. PR projects can't always be relied upon to be reflective of reality. :)

Very interesting. Thanks for posting. :)

I would like to see these changes take place globally and be implemented effectively.

Well done, Jemima Harrison, for inspiring change.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

changes were happening long before her TV rant.

I would like to see these changes take place globally and be implemented effectively.

Really? Do you have link?

)

Yes & what about her lies ,the stand out was the article regarding the big winning Shar Pei .

Changes are good but they where being done a long time before hand after all new testing for many issues have only appeared in the last few years .

In 2 of the breeds im heavily involved with last year was the first time you could test for a certain health issue a massive step forward but we can only go as quick as the tests made available & with this test we have to send it overseas to get it done .

Opportunities to use MRI 's & the likes have become a new tool to fight certain issues & it comes at great expense too .

Not every state in Australia has many of the testing facilities available,i now i had to make the most of a trip east to get one of my dogs tested for an issue that affects the breed .

There are many good breeders begging & pleading with certain services to be more available in some states & have testing days maybe 1 or twice a year with very limited spots certainly not enough to to test all & often funded by those people to fly testers over or pay the daily fee some charge.

People shouldn't be bitching about the breeders one should look at the Veterinary world & ask why they expect so much from breeders yet don't offer the services to assist ,it cuts both ways

go and look at the old news reports on the kennel club website, plenty info on there if you choose to look.

)

Yes & what about her lies ,the stand out was the article regarding the big winning Shar Pei .

Changes are good but they where being done a long time before hand after all new testing for many issues have only appeared in the last few years .

In 2 of the breeds im heavily involved with last year was the first time you could test for a certain health issue a massive step forward but we can only go as quick as the tests made available & with this test we have to send it overseas to get it done .

Opportunities to use MRI 's & the likes have become a new tool to fight certain issues & it comes at great expense too .

Not every state in Australia has many of the testing facilities available,i now i had to make the most of a trip east to get one of my dogs tested for an issue that affects the breed .

There are many good breeders begging & pleading with certain services to be more available in some states & have testing days maybe 1 or twice a year with very limited spots certainly not enough to to test all & often funded by those people to fly testers over or pay the daily fee some charge.

People shouldn't be bitching about the breeders one should look at the Veterinary world & ask why they expect so much from breeders yet don't offer the services to assist ,it cuts both ways

I'm not sure I would classify it as 'bitching'. I'd say 'raising awareness' and 'showing concern'. I can unerstand why breeders would get defensive about her work, though. Not all breeders are as willing to test as you are.

It's definitely of concern that important tests are not widely available.

go and look at the old news reports on the kennel club website, plenty info on there if you choose to look.

So you don't think that awareness raised and the consequent pressure on the Kennel Club went any way towards expediting programmes and plans for breed health improvement?

• 1 month later...

I think her show made a difference. There were some breeders interviewed who talked about ways they wanted to improve their breed. I also don't think that there is any doubt that some breeds have certain health issues that need to be addressed. I found this bit of the show very interesting:

pedigree01.jpg

pedigree02.jpg

pedigree03.jpg

pedigree04.jpg