Smelly Ears

Cavstar

I have a 14 week old Cav. Last night she was laying next to me on the couch & I smelled something really quite strange. I thought maybe she was due for a bath but then noticed it was coming from inside of her ear (her ear was flicked backed) I had a look inside & its a little dirty... nothing major but had a really strong odour. The other one was the same as well, but I can't smell it when her ears are down (unless I flick it back & stick my nose in)

I'm not in the habit of sniffing the inside of other dogs ears to check so just wondering if this is normal or if a trip to the vet is on the cards? :confused:

Oooh - ear infection methinks. Which could be because of yeast, or mites. I think the vet should be able to do a swap and check it under the microscope to figure out the cause.

If it's mites, then I think we got an Advocate top spot to clear it and some antibiotics to control the yeast infection. Happened when Z was about the same age but hasn't come back.

Yes.. come to think of it Lucy has been scratching her ears and shaking her head a fair bit too. Poor girl :( I can't get into the vets until tomorrow

I'm wishing I went with Vetwest's total wellness plan that they offered me now!

Oooh - ear infection methinks. Which could be because of yeast, or mites. I think the vet should be able to do a swap and check it under the microscope to figure out the cause.

If it's mites, then I think we got an Advocate top spot to clear it and some antibiotics to control the yeast infection. Happened when Z was about the same age but hasn't come back.

My girl is on Revolution.. I thought this would control mites?

I thought revolution would do mites too... Arby is on daily oral Ivermectin for demodex which i thought would stop mites... think they money is on ear infection, but the vet should be able to tell pretty easily :)

Hope your vet can sort it out for you too :)

If its smelly it's probably an ear infection....because of the lack of air flow it's a good idea to regularly clean her ears and check them too.

Revolution should cover ear mites but it won't stop yeast and bacteria from taking advantage!

My Cavs regularly get yeasty ears. You can't mistake the smell of yeast. I'm one who lifts the ears and has a sniff about every second day. Yeast is easier to get rid of if you get it at the beginning of the infection.

I keep drops here at all times.

Yes.. come to think of it Lucy has been scratching her ears and shaking her head a fair bit too. Poor girl :( I can't get into the vets until tomorrow

I'm wishing I went with Vetwest's total wellness plan that they offered me now

That plan costs you more don't get conned .Vet west is one of the most expensive clinics around for all there stuff.

Ear mites have a smell & usually brown dirt .

My Beagle has the same, smelly ears, itching and shaking her head... Vet did a swab and it's yeast, he said it's very common esp on long eared dogs and at this time of year. He gave us some drops but a breeder also recommended to us to avoid kibble and feed home cooked or raw food diet. Apparently she had a lot of problems with one of her Beagles and this helped him.

Well the diagnosis was yeast based infection for us too. We have some ear drops to use so fingers crossed that sorts it out

Good stuff NOCTROL :thumbsup: Hopefully Lucy will be on the right track this afternoon. I had everyone at home sniffing her ears last night :laugh: Tends to only be her left ear that smells but she is scratching both... actually all over. We'll see what the vet says.

That plan costs you more don't get conned .Vet west is one of the most expensive clinics around for all there stuff.

Ear mites have a smell & usually brown dirt .

Thanks Showdog. When I made the appt over the phone they asked me if I had it. I've been in 2 minds trying to figure out if it its actually going to be a saving or not!

Just wondering, what should your dog's ears smell like? My dog's ears have been checked by the vet, and are always deemed very clean and healthy but his are slightly pricked so there's some air flow. That said, they have a distinct, mild odour and this is probably going to sound really gross... but I kind of like it, kind of how I like the smell of his paws. It's not unpleasant at all, but they are definitely not odourless.

ETA it is very faint, like you have to have your nose in the ear to be able to smell it, you would certainly never smell it when he was lying next to you or anything.

Edited by jacqui835

High Five to the pups with Yeasty Ears! :laugh:

Glad that's all it is for you too.

The smell is without a doubt not nice... not just generally doggy smell but as soon as you smell it you know somethings not right!