Red Dog - Kelpie

Cavamum

I was chatting on another forum about dogs that have been featured on film and television and that when this happens many people want one of their own and are then not happy when the poor pup in question doesn't turn out to be the dog featured. Have you kelpie breeders out there found that there has been a spike in enquiries about kelpie pups?

I was chatting on another forum about dogs that have been featured on film and television and that when this happens many people want one of their own and are then not happy when the poor pup in question doesn't turn out to be the dog featured. Have you kelpie breeders out there found that there has been a spike in enquiries about kelpie pups?

I know many Kelpie breeders, particularly those with solid red or chocolates put off breeding litters around the movie release time. They wanted to avoid people doing impulse buying a breed that is amazing, but not for everyone.

The real test will be in 5mths time to see how many 'red dogs' have been dumped......

I know many Kelpie breeders, particularly those with solid red or chocolates put off breeding litters around the movie release time. They wanted to avoid people doing impulse buying a breed that is amazing, but not for everyone.

The real test will be in 5mths time to see how many 'red dogs' have been dumped......

I know. It is so sad! On the other forum they were saying that when Frasier was very popular many people went and bought Jack Russels because they wanted an 'Eddie' of their own. Unfortunately many ended up in rescues and pounds. Too many stupid people want dogs.

Not sure about breeders but I've had a spike in strangers calling my girl "red dog" :laugh:

Since he didn't really 'do' much except fart and steal food I'm not sure what they'd be disappointed about..... :D

lol Yeah but they forget the responsibility.

Not sure about breeders but I've had a spike in strangers calling my girl "red dog" :laugh:

Since he didn't really 'do' much except fart and steal food I'm not sure what they'd be disappointed about..... :D

You wouldn't believe how many people keep asking is my chocolate LABRADOR, "Red Dog".

You wouldn't believe how many people keep asking is my chocolate LABRADOR, "Red Dog".

Yes I would :rofl:

:eek: ..... :rofl:

then you guys might not be so suprised when little kids think that our dallys are just like the cartoon dallies they see on the telly and they run up to hug them.

leo loves it.....you can poke him in the eye and he would come back for more.

poor sophie is a bit human wary and finds strangers hard if they throw them selves at her.

i hate kelpies/working dogs as a kids who saw lots born and disposed off... hate them and all they represent on a farm... :mad :mad

I know. It is so sad! On the other forum they were saying that when Frasier was very popular many people went and bought Jack Russels because they wanted an 'Eddie' of their own. Unfortunately many ended up in rescues and pounds. Too many stupid people want dogs.

Did you know that "Eddie" was a rescue dog that had been rehomed and rehomed because he was "destructive and difficult"!! :)

There was a great article on the front page of the Sydney Morning Herald on the 21st December featuring a basket full of red kelpie puppies entitled "No sstocking fillers, these little reds want room to move." :)

I saw that although I didn't agree with all of it. Kelpies can live very very very happily in suburbia!! But you do need to go into their ownership with a sense of humour and be willing to keep them amused :)

I keep getting stopped with my rescue bull breed mix who looks VERY Pit Bull in the face with a red nose and pitty head, but has a leaner longer body. She is a chocolatey red colour and I've had people chase me down the street yelling RED DOGGGG!!!!!!

When I laugh and say the colour is right but the breed isn't most have replied 'oh that doesn't matter' ???!!!!

Edited by melzawelza

There was a great article on the front page of the Sydney Morning Herald on the 21st December featuring a basket full of red kelpie puppies entitled "No sstocking fillers, these little reds want room to move." :)

I will have a read of that.