Is It Okay To Trim?

Del678

Is it ok to trim the extra long hairs on the dog's penis to avoid him spreading the wetness after toilet trips? (being VERY careful of course. Not looking to trim right back as hair would obviously provide some buffering to impact and dirt, but so it's not so much of a paint brush as OH called it.

I trim mine sometimes with no ill effects. The black and white boy in my avatar is currently sporting a dogzillion (shaved from his anus to in front of his penis) as he is shedding and was matting.

Edited by Janba

Guest donatella

I can't see why not so long as you make sure you cut the hair and not the skin :eek:

I have a fluff ball who gets her butt cut for a clean exit and less mess for us both to endure :thumbsup:

Poodles in show trim have their tummy and privated (girls and boys) shaved with a 40 blade with no probs. Most pet poodles are shaved in this region with at least a 10 blade. I actually think it would be safe to shave than to scissor.

If using scissors, put your other hand over the end of the penis, so he doesn't jump and you accidentally cut him.

As others have said, very common for various breeds to be clipped short in that area.