I Feel Like I' M Being Manipulated ......

Find your signature interesting - I've always pronounced the name Mah REM ah & now I know the correct pronunciation

Hi

Well, if you are ever talking to Italians and you get them repeat the word 'Maremma' you will quite clearly hear the correct pronunciation.

Regards

Edited by Tralee

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so much for your solid advise I very much so appreciate it. And I know now this is what the breeder was offering co ownership.

I don't know why you just don't take your beautiful puppy home & love him as a family pet, & down the track if you want to add a 2nd pup to your family from similar lines to this pup, I'm sure your breeder could sell your another puppy in the future. :)

If you feel you must have a puppy sired from this pup then there is still the option of taking the breeders offer of co-ownership, where the breeder will then be able to decide if he is suitable for breeding from. :)

The breeder would have been in full control of the whole process if it happened, I am not interested in breeding thats y i asked her. thank you for replying,

So you want to potentially breed this pup.....did you know that over a 6 year period 1 female dog + 1 male dog + their offspring can produce 67,000 puppies!! But that's okay, you just want to continue 'the line' a line that breeder has put her blood sweat and tears into it, but that's okay, this is for you. You just want a puppy. What about the other puppies that eventuate out of a mating, maybe the people want to do the same as you and so on and so forth, that's how 67,000 puppies are born.

Yes we all started out somewhere but you just have to be aware of what breeding involves. Are you willing to take on an 8 year old dog you bred because she's too old, we re moving, we have a child, she's sick, etc etc? Did you know that in the US 25% of dogs in shelters are purebred, that over half of the healthy animals in shelters are euthanised because there are just not enough homes?

Breeding is so much more than wanting a puppy from my "extra pecial beautiful dogs"

I think the breeders offer was reasonable, she reduced the price and even offered to give you cash back IF she chooses to use him in her breeding program,chances are she wouldn't unless he was a spectacular example of the breed and passed all health clearances required to breed with a Staffordshire Bull Terrior.

Just some food for thought :)

Kind of I asked her when he was at an older age if she would use him to stud and i keep a pup, She said no. And came back with 100 to me every time she used if he was of a standard.

Okay, you are getting a puppy from a breeder. Later, when the dog is older, and if the dog is bred from by the breeder, you'd like one of those puppies. Is that the situation?

I do not wish to breed, I asked her if she would use him at a certain age and i keep one.......I DO NOT WANT TO BREED.........And i very much so respect the breeder or I would have simply backyard bred instead of asking her....and i intend to stand by my contract to not breed or show. And I understand now that the offer is normal practice only I do not wish to breed or show which I told her when first entering the agreement hence the being confused with the offer. Thank you for your reply....which by the way was not helpful at all. But I hope I have settled your angst.

the basics ...

fine by me i only ever wanted him in our family none of theses things had crossed my mind

Yes it did. You then obviously told her about you wanting to breed him after she put conditions on the dog.

You are paying for a pedigree dog which is someones pride and joy, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears attached to the kennel name. Most STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIER breeders will not want their dogs pimped to within an inch of their lives by unregistered breeders - it's all too common just look at the local paper. It makes them and their dogs look very bad.

Then the breeder comes at me with ill take 300 off the price if i can show him under her name, and he can sire, everytime he sires she will give me 100 cash......when i said im not comfortable she said she would give me my money back.... is it because im a single mum (who is very awesome with dogs) or am i being manipulated the whole scene is doing my head in please tell me what yall think bout this.....Thanks

Maybe the breeder is trying to help you at least do things responsibly since you want to breed the dog and show you what should be done when breeding dogs. If you want it bred then show it, make sure it is a good enough example of the breed and that breeders will want to use it for a good reason.

I would have refunded your money too.

NO i did not change my mind about showing or breeding at all hence being confused with the offer. I simply wanted a puppy from my boy and wanted the breeder to be in control of this process.

I think it is you that is trying to manipulate the situation.

You want a pet, you agree to get a pet. Then you change your mind and want to show and breed....if I was the breeder I would have walked away from you then and there. But she agreed with conditions, and still you are not happy...

Make sure you stick to what you want before buying another puppy....saves the breeder pulling out and possibly warning other breeders not to deal with you.

It has nothing to do with you being single....its your chopping and changing your mind, and not knowing what you want that stopped the sale of the puppy.

Lynn

No offence, but if you have only emailed the breeder and your emails read like your posts the breeder probably thought you did want to breed, hence the offer and the confusion.

eta - so is she still going to let you adopt a puppy?

Edited by Cat

That may be the case but i would only trust my own knowledge of a dog....and at the end of the day I would prefer to rear my own pup.

I thought about a rescue dog, but i have a young family and would not be comfortable with a dog i did not know or own myself...so it did cross my mind.

:) The reputable rescue folks know their dogs well ..and if you have little kids , then, personally an adult who is used to kids , and who doesn't need the constant supervision, the housetraining etc while trying to look out for human kids .... would be my personal choice.

here is the rescue forum , if you want more info .. LINK HERE

Yes I went back through our emails and conversations and I made my intentions absolutely clear and added and extra condition to our agreement so she may better know me and my family and know she has not made a wrong choice in selling me a pup.

No offence, but if you have only emailed the breeder and your emails read like your posts the breeder probably thought you did want to breed, hence the offer and the confusion.

eta - so is she still going to let you adopt a puppy?

ChattyKatty

You are courteously replying to all the respondents but its not necessary.

You have done the responsible thing and sought advice from those with wiser heads on calmer shoulders.

I don't think that what you have encountered is normal practice at all and the two breeders you have met are, unfortunately, sloppy and lazy.

If you want a pedigree dog, and a puppy from him, then you will need one on the Main register.

It is quite acceptable to offer him at stud and then take a pup as stud fee.

You should be alerted though to the foul practice of people out in the street soliciting your dog for mating.

If you have decided to get a pedigree dog there are responsibilities attached.

Then I would suggest you join your Canine Control Council as well.

To the other posters, I think considering some of the motives of many people, having a male dog presents much less risk or confusion and potential problems than keeping a female bitch.

Once Again

Good Luck

Px

Edited by Tralee

Black dog thank you for your knowledge . I did ask the breeder to be involved with this whole i would like a pup idea of mine i do not wish to breed myself or show, so asked her she said no and im fine with that I do not intend to renege on my agreement with her hence me asking her if she would use him at 5/6, so got a bit confused when she offered me the propsition.

I'll explain it to you in non-patronising, non-judgemental terms, because no doubt, you simply don't undersrand the way the show world works, and that's ok, most people don't. :)

There is a gross canine overpopulation problem resulting in thousands of doggy deaths a year. There simply aren't enough homes to go around. This is why most people should abstain from breeding, because when one breeds they simply add to the problem.

However, if everyone stopped breeding to ameliorate this problem there would be no dogs pretty quickly! So who should breed and why?

Well, purebreed dogs are very important, because without them we would not be able to select a dog in accordance with our needs. Purebred dogs generally have predictable breed traits, including temperament and physical qualities. This means that a family who wants a laid back, small dog because they don't have the strength, time or energy to deal with a more powerful or active type can select a paticular breed to suit their needs. This leads to greater success in long-term placement, fewer trips to the pound and an abundance of great human/dog relationships.

However, you can't just breed any purebred dog to any other purebred dog, because the objective of breeding is to better the breed - that is to to stay as close as possible to the stated breed requirements, so you have to breed together two dogs that complement each other.

Conformation (having your dog judged by an expert as to its structural quality in the showring) is the way in which bettering the breed is achieved. If a dog with very good traits is bred to another dog with very good traits there is an opportunity to improve the breed.

So. What the breeder is trying to do here is give you the opportunity to breed your dog in the right way. If your dog is deemed by a judge to be worthy of bettering the breed then you can find a mate that complements your dog in order to improve the line.

Without this objective, you're just another person breeding for your own personal reasons, contributing to the pet overpopulation problem and giving the breeder a bad name for doing so.

I hope this made sense. If you would like to ask any questions I am happy to answer them. :)

Find your signature interesting - I've always pronounced the name Mah REM ah & now I know the correct pronunciation

Hi

Well, if you are ever talking to Italians and you get them repeat the word 'Maremma' you will quite clearly hear the correct pronunciation.

Regards

I've always been under the impression that it is pronounced "Mar-ee-mah" but changed my tune after I was told off by a 10yr old girl who owns one :laugh: Good to know I can go back to my original pronunciation.

I've always been under the impression that it is pronounced "Mar-ee-mah" but changed my tune after I was told off by a 10yr old girl who owns one :laugh: Good to know I can go back to my original pronunciation.

Quite.

It is hard to argue with an indignant 10yr girl. :D

However, she is unlikely to be a native Italian speaker who also uses the dialect from the Abruzzesse region. ;)

Edited by Tralee

ChattyKathy it sounds like there has been confusion all around :D It seems it will be a lot easier to just buy your pup on limited register and then if u want another dog, go back to the same breeder.

If you want to keep ur options open for using him co-ownership is definitely the best options as if he is in your name you have to become a breeder.

Black dog thank you for your knowledge . I did ask the breeder to be involved with this whole i would like a pup idea of mine i do not wish to breed myself or show, so asked her she said no and im fine with that I do not intend to renege on my agreement with her hence me asking her if she would use him at 5/6, so got a bit confused when she offered me the propsition.

No breeder is going to wait that long and then use a stud dog just because you want a pup from it. He will have achieved nothing and what is she going to do with the rest of the litter from a totally unknown, unproven sire? You can't say you dont want to breed from him because really, you do. One litter and leaving him entire for all that time is considered 'breeding'. She doesnt know you from a bar of soap and you're asking her to give you a dog to breed with - put yourself in the breeders shoes, would it not sound suss to you? Considering it's one of the most overbred breeds in the country too?

Hi

Regards

ahhh - I didn't realise they were an Italian breed :)

OP - sorry for railroading the thread

I'm just not understanding how the OP is so keen for a puppy from a dog she hasn't even purchased yet. Call me confused but we're talking about something way into the future and for all she knows, the boy she has currently been offered might not turn out any good to want to reproduce with.

The posts are almost sounding as though you're "making do" with current puppy until his progeny comes around. *insert VERY confused look here*

I am still confused you keep saying you don't want to breed or show but you want to keep your dog entire and breed him at 5 or 6?? That is a very contradictory request. As to me that means you do want to breed him down the track but you do not want him shown to see how he stacks up against other representatives of his breed to see if he is worth breeding. And whilst he may be worth breeding in your opinion despite not being shown or tested for problems in his breed because you want a puppy whose bitch are you going to use and what is going to happen with the other 5,6 or more puppies in this litter. Would it not be much better to desex your boy and buy a puppy from the same lines down the track?

I am genuinely confused and do not understand where you are coming from though I will say as a breeder of purebred Maine Coons I can honestly say people who say they don't want to breed but then want to breed one litter are the reason no pet kitten leaves here undesexed. Not so easy with dogs I know.

I think she was wanting the breeder to look after the testing and breeding side of things?..she wasn't aware of how these things work, but now I think she does..

Edited by Cat