Problem With New Clippers

twogrs

Hi,

I tried out my new Wahl KM-SS clippers this weekend. Having never used clippers before I read all instructions, watched the dvd etc before even plugging them in. I tried them out for about 5 minutes (with a few stops) yesterday. At first they were good. Then just before I turned them off they sounded funny. I didn't think much about it, brushed the loose hair out and put them away.

Tried again today. Straight away it doesn't sound right. The best way to describe it is that the power is going up and down, like something getting a flat battery. I think the motor is speeding up and down? I've searched around for answers, but cannot find this problem being described by anyone. Has anyone had this happen to them? Have I done something wrong, or is it likely to be a warranty issue?

Any help appreciated! :confused:

Hi,

I tried out my new Wahl KM-SS clippers this weekend. Having never used clippers before I read all instructions, watched the dvd etc before even plugging them in. I tried them out for about 5 minutes (with a few stops) yesterday. At first they were good. Then just before I turned them off they sounded funny. I didn't think much about it, brushed the loose hair out and put them away.

Tried again today. Straight away it doesn't sound right. The best way to describe it is that the power is going up and down, like something getting a flat battery. I think the motor is speeding up and down? I've searched around for answers, but cannot find this problem being described by anyone. Has anyone had this happen to them? Have I done something wrong, or is it likely to be a warranty issue?

Are they still clipping ok ? Have you got the blade locked in properly. Give them another run and if they still sound funny, I would get in touch with the people you bought them from or a service agent and explain the problem. I have used Wahl for 15 or so years with my dogs.

Was the coat of the dog clean?

Were there any sprays, powder or flea collars used on the coat?

Was the blade oiled & clean?

If you remove the blade then run the clipper does it sound the same?

Is the change in running sound affected by you moving the cord where it attaches to the clipper?

Just trying to eliminate possibilities.

Hi,

The only time I have experienced that the Clippers carked it within the week (They were not used much either). They were not clipping well and it sounded like the motor was dying.

It could be there faulty or it could be a noise of going through the coat.

If the coat is dirty,really overgrown & the blade not being quite right for the coat its going through it can make all sorts of different noises.

What blade number where you using ??

Was the coat of the dog clean?

Were there any sprays, powder or flea collars used on the coat?

Was the blade oiled & clean?

If you remove the blade then run the clipper does it sound the same?

Is the change in running sound affected by you moving the cord where it attaches to the clipper?

Just trying to eliminate possibilities.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. Crisovar your idea to remove the blade and run the clipper helped. When I ran it without a blade it sounded fine. I got hubby to take off whole blade part, and then (with the help of some you tube videos) he put it back together. It sounds fine again now. BTW - coat was freshly washed Friday, no sprays etc used and I had oiled the (no. 10) blade before starting each time.

So I'm not really sure what it was - perhaps the blade was too tight, not tight enough etc. Hopefully it doesn't happen again! Thank you all again :D

I had a Wahl die on me a few years ago...turned out to be the connection where the cord meets the body of the clipper. Easy fix under warranty. customer service for Wahl is excellent in my experience.

x2 We use Whal clippers at work and had this problem several times. Easily fixed under warranty