Susan Garrett Running Contacts

I have seen a few things around online mentioning Susan Garrett's upcoming running contacts method, anyone know anything more??

Saw it mentioned on another dog forum, and someone mentioned it on her facebook page but it's not on her blog or anything yet?

I hear it is going to cost $5,000! Hope that is a mistake! :eek:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been on the board for years but sounds like it might actually get somewhere this time. SG recently posted a survey to those on her mailing list on running contacts, she did the same thing before she did the first recallers.

Wonder how much access to equipment you need? That will be the biggest factor for me, and the cost obviously.

SKG DiscoDobe was referring to online courses, it doesn't surprise me that SG would charge that to train with her in person, especially given this is likely to be the first time she's ever offered it (running contacts).

Edited by Jess.

Yes she is only taking 5 people and the price is correct. My guess is that this is a test run for her - so far she has only tested on her own dogs, so she wants a bigger cross section of dogs, breeds and people. Sounds very intensive with lots of homework and groundwork as well as two workshops at her place. Rules us out on the other side of the world! She will probably release it more widely once she gets it down to a more manageable amount of work/time for people.

It's been on the board for years but sounds like it might actually get somewhere this time. SG recently posted a survey to those on her mailing list on running contacts, she did the same thing before she did the first recallers.

Wonder how much access to equipment you need? That will be the biggest factor for me, and the cost obviously.

SKG DiscoDobe was referring to online courses, it doesn't surprise me that SG would charge that to train with her in person, especially given this is likely to be the first time she's ever offered it (running contacts).

Ahhh that's more understandable! I thought it would be like the recallers course! Can't wait to see if she will put the method out in the next year or so, before my pup is doing contacts!

ETA: I did see that survey and filled it out, was expecting that an online course would be out soon, just about fell out of my seat when I saw the 5k price tag being waved around! Hmm wonder if she'll do a DVD...

Edited by DiscoDobe

Hmm wonder if she'll do a DVD...

I doubt it - too easy for people to burn copies and pass them onto others. The course format is worth far more $$ wise and she regains some control over what people do with her methods. Take a look at her 2x2 weaving - someone tries to use it, stuffs it up and then the method gets the blame.

Is that $5000 per person?

How long does the course go for?

Sounds like it's a month's hard core groundwork/homework, a 3 day workshop at Say Yes and 12 months background support from SG herself.

The method sounds interesting, especially for people like me who have very limited access to contact gear, but be stuffed if I'd pay $5000 for it. :eek:

Hmm wonder if she'll do a DVD...

I doubt it - too easy for people to burn copies and pass them onto others.

Oooohhhh behave ! And stop posting when I'm drinking coffee, my computer is sick of wearing it :rofl:

Don't you mean 'back up their copies'?

:rasberry::rofl:

Yeah look, personally for me, I don't care how good someone is at something, that price is ridiculous. And people that pay it are just as ridiculous IMO

I mean there is tens of thousands of dogs that have learnt running contacts, how to weave, how to jump etc way before she came along. And there will be plenty more to follow that don't have handlers that have done this course. And they will still be very competitive.

Even if you forked out for this experience, it is no guarantee that you'll win. Every theory and method relies on correct implementation, and this means every one has to interpret things the same and apply the learning the same, so throw a variable in there of a dog.

I hope that the lucky 5 people that can afford to go, really get the benefit they are paying for and a happy with their investment.

It is really only increasing your learning bank and that is an expensive way to do it.

Yeah look, personally for me, I don't care how good someone is at something, that price is ridiculous. And people that pay it are just as ridiculous IMO

I mean there is tens of thousands of dogs that have learnt running contacts, how to weave, how to jump etc way before she came along. And there will be plenty more to follow that don't have handlers that have done this course. And they will still be very competitive.

Even if you forked out for this experience, it is no guarantee that you'll win. Every theory and method relies on correct implementation, and this means every one has to interpret things the same and apply the learning the same, so throw a variable in there of a dog.

I hope that the lucky 5 people that can afford to go, really get the benefit they are paying for and a happy with their investment.

It is really only increasing your learning bank and that is an expensive way to do it.

I couldn't agree more!!

You are right dasha that correct implementation and interpretation is key, which is why I think she is having part of it at her complex in Canada. I think once she nuts it out with this group and sees whether she can replicate her success with other people and different types of dogs, she will make it more widely available. I think she is just being cautious. If she wants her method to become viable and for her to be known for a method of running contacts, it has to be more accessible than for the small group of people who can spend $5000 and who can travel to her place for instruction.

Silvia Trkman probably has the best known running contacts, and her basic method is on her website free for all to read.

Like I said......Ridiculous

So she doesn't even know if it will work, so she is wanting people to pay $5000 so she can try out her methods..............

In her interest, she should be nearly paying them, or at least do it for free. Its her that wants the results of her experimental learning methods.

So if it works out, then she will lower the price to make it more affordable (so why pay now to be a guinea pig) and if it doesn't work out, then she won't do it (so the suckers that pay $5000 have wasted their money)

Sounds like a great money making gimick to me. Doesn't ring any "cautious" bells to me.

It may be worth the money if you also learn some other gimick like spinning straw into gold............ or turning water into wine. But I don't think those things happen anymore

I think it raises an interesting point though - at what point does someone say "hang on this is really just a hobby what is $5,000 really going to get me?"

As others have mentioned there are already successful running contact methods out there. I am curious to see what SGs involves though.

I guess it's different in the US because agility is much bigger there, and they can travel overseas and compete. But in Australia the top dog and handler in the country are absolutely brilliant everyone can agree, but they are still someone running their dog on the weekend as a hobby. (ETA not meaning anyone specific just in general)

Do you think it's more of an actual sport overseas? One where you can earn a decent living? (Obviously yes if SG and co are to go by) ETA also there is a whole branding/marketing thing going on over there, which I haven't seen here, has anyone else?

Edited by amypie