Desexing?

far_kenell_73

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm interesting read, i don't understand why vets and articles push the desex to prevent cancer. To push your average Joe blow into neutering?

Because no one wants to hear that they simply may not be a suitable home for an entire animal.

Hmm interesting read, i don't understand why vets and articles push the desex to prevent cancer. To push your average Joe blow into neutering?

Not all vets.

My vet said he sees more health problems linked to early desexing than if dogs are desexed after they reach maturity. He mentioned a few things including the increased chance of rupturing cruciate ligaments (the sex hormones affect the ligaments). Provided the owner is responsible with containment etc. it sounded like male dogs have better health prospects if kept entire. The main health benefit of castration is that there no chance of the dog suffering testicular cancer.

To be honest, I really only plan to get my dog desexed so as to reduce him attracting unwanted attention from other males (who want to pick a fight.) :eek:

My Male is intact and 2 1/2 years old and we have a 5 year old desexed famale.. He doesn't try and escape despite many wandering camp dogs, and certainly doesn't try to hump our bitch. He's shown tolerance for many dogs but again has shown dislike for some large intact males.

He does drool at the mouth around some female dogs, nose running, and the walking hump, though no desire to wander. He has however ejaculated (yuck) over the floor when getting a shampoo!

As some of the posts say, it all depends on your dog and his beahvior and size, i would definitely wait though should i have a larger breed dog.