Desexing?

far_kenell_73

I think all 'pet' dogs should be desexed regardless of sex because of the health benefits and it's the right thing to do (erasing all possible mishaps/accidental pregnancies/fence jumpers etc).

I had my girl done on 6 months on the dot at my vets advice and she's still the same mental pooch :)

For some reason some men seem to get attached to their dogs balls and want to leave them be, I'll never understand that!

Tell me about it. My daughters ex-boyfriend wanted to get his dog desexed and would say so yet put it off and put it off and even when he finally brought the dog in to be done was still all sookie and OH..poor doggie blah, blah, blah until the Vet nurse gave him a serve of "You blokes and your attachments" speech. :laugh:

Ummmmm I have an entire male dog who will never be used. I don't plan on desexing him any time soon. He lives with 8 other entire bitches and has never mated any of them, never jumped a fence or even wanted to!!

I believe all dogs owned by irresponsible owners should be desexed and that has nothing to do with a dog being a pet or not.

I am female and certainly not attached to his nuts, I just believe that there is no reason to take them off when there are possible health benefits and I know I can keep him contained- which is the same choice I think others have the right to make. I was given a serve off a vet nurse because he still had nuts and I questioned her knowledge in the matter and when it became clear I had done more research than her we agreed to disagree :).

ETA- also whats the problem with males wanting to keep male dogs entire so long as they keep them contained and monitor their health?

Ahh, that's the 20 million dollar question? "All dogs owned by irresponsible owners". Who decides that? There is nothing wrong with keeping your dog entire, it's an owners choice but I do believe the OP has already stated their intention to desex and is asking opinions about the operative time and any changes it may or may not make to her dog.

And incidently, my daughters ex-BF's dog repeatedly escaped their property, and even managed to squeeze out of his bedroom window when opened only a small way. According to his owner this dog was way overdue to be desexed.

Well I was actually going to say that I think dogs should only be owned by responsible people but knew that was never going to happen :rofl:

I am just against the 100% pets must all be desexed mantra. Focus on the fact that the person is being responsible not looking after their dog (I know the one off's do happen regarding escapees) but there is really no reason that dogs should be desexed before maturation if people took their responsibilities seriously.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am just against the 100% pets must all be desexed mantra. Focus on the fact that the person is being responsible not looking after their dog (I know the one off's do happen regarding escapees) but there is really no reason that dogs should be desexed before maturation if people took their responsibilities seriously.

Excatly what I was thinking, but put much more eloquently :D

I think all 'pet' dogs should be desexed regardless of sex because of the health benefits and it's the right thing to do (erasing all possible mishaps/accidental pregnancies/fence jumpers etc).

I had my girl done on 6 months on the dot at my vets advice and she's still the same mental pooch :)

For some reason some men seem to get attached to their dogs balls and want to leave them be, I'll never understand that!

Tell me about it. My daughters ex-boyfriend wanted to get his dog desexed and would say so yet put it off and put it off and even when he finally brought the dog in to be done was still all sookie and OH..poor doggie blah, blah, blah until the Vet nurse gave him a serve of "You blokes and your attachments" speech. :laugh:

Ummmmm I have an entire male dog who will never be used. I don't plan on desexing him any time soon. He lives with 8 other entire bitches and has never mated any of them, never jumped a fence or even wanted to!!

I believe all dogs owned by irresponsible owners should be desexed and that has nothing to do with a dog being a pet or not.

I am female and certainly not attached to his nuts, I just believe that there is no reason to take them off when there are possible health benefits and I know I can keep him contained- which is the same choice I think others have the right to make. I was given a serve off a vet nurse because he still had nuts and I questioned her knowledge in the matter and when it became clear I had done more research than her we agreed to disagree :).

ETA- also whats the problem with males wanting to keep male dogs entire so long as they keep them contained and monitor their health?

Ahh, that's the 20 million dollar question? "All dogs owned by irresponsible owners". Who decides that? There is nothing wrong with keeping your dog entire, it's an owners choice but I do believe the OP has already stated their intention to desex and is asking opinions about the operative time and any changes it may or may not make to her dog.

And incidently, my daughters ex-BF's dog repeatedly escaped their property, and even managed to squeeze out of his bedroom window when opened only a small way. According to his owner this dog was way overdue to be desexed.

Well I was actually going to say that I think dogs should only be owned by responsible people but knew that was never going to happen :rofl:

I understand what you're trying to say. ;)

I think though that this mantra is cited mostly by those who are affected by the sensless killing of unwanted pets.

I'm sure that they too would be happy if all entires were housed and breed from with care and consideration rather than some of the worst case scenarios we all know exist. ah...in a ideal world eh?

Edited by LizT

I had Acheron castrated a couple of months ago. He is a almost 2 year old Doberman and I would have left him entire except that we are expecting a new pup in month and she will remain entire (for the time being anyway) and as we live in suburbia I didn't want him carrying on when she is in season or any possible accidents to occur.

I would not have had him done any sooner than I did, based on the advise of his breeder and my own beliefs on the matter. Personally I would have preferred for him to remain entire, even though he would never have been bred from, but this just makes it easier for us and our situation right now.

There have been no changes to his personality and no physical changes either.

I had Acheron castrated a couple of months ago. He is a almost 2 year old Doberman and I would have left him entire except that we are expecting a new pup in month and she will remain entire (for the time being anyway) and as we live in suburbia I didn't want him carrying on when she is in season or any possible accidents to occur.

I would not have had him done any sooner than I did, based on the advise of his breeder and my own beliefs on the matter. Personally I would have preferred for him to remain entire, even though he would never have been bred from, but this just makes it easier for us and our situation right now.

There have been no changes to his personality and no physical changes either.

Just a word of warning Dobesrock. While you won't get any "surprise" puppies I did have a friend whose desexed (at 6 months) GSD got into a tie with his undesexed GSD bitch when she came in season and the end result was a damaged penis and some serious vet bills. It can happen. :(

I think though that this mantra is cited mostly by those who are affected by the sensless killing of unwanted pets.

I'm sure that they too would be happy if all entires were housed and breed from with care and consideration rather than some of the worst case scenarios we all know exist. ah...in a ideal world eh?

I get into trouble for talking about the ideal world- irresponsible people in that world would have a fair few more limitations that just not being able to own a dog lol

I get into trouble for talking about the ideal world- irresponsible people in that world would have a fair few more limitations that just not being able to own a dog lol

Still we can't give up, it could start a run of giving up. :)

Thank's for all the opinions and information, been really helpful. Im glad that my main concern that his temperament will change doesn't seem to be an issue.

All though I still find it strange that so many people say to owners with hyper dogs that they will calm down once desexed and people think this will work instead of training etc.

Look's like I will wait a few more months till he is more mature to have desexed.

Thanks again

Personally I think it's best for the dogs to mature before desexing but easier for the owner if they are desexed earlier.

edited to make it clear - desex the dogs - not the owners :o

Edited by Andisa

Why is everyone in such a hurry to have the boys castrated?

I tell my puppy buyer to wait until they are at least 12 months old.

My male is 7 years old and I have 4 females he has never had a stud and no accidental matings.

No, he is NOT aggressive either, he is very easy to live with NOT like my bitchy females always eyeballing each other.

I think you guess I love him the best :heart:

Same here I have three entier males and no problems with them when my bitches come in season, thay go a little silly thats nature .It is my bitches that I have to watch..

Edited by morsha_68

Personally I think it's best for the dogs to mature before desexing but easier for the owner if they are desexed earlier.

edited to make it clear - desex the dogs - not the owners :o

:laugh: Although, there are SOME dog owners.....

yeah - but unfortunately we don't have any say about desexing for those :laugh: ...

Oh yes because there's heaps ...

There doesn't need to be heaps, just one is enough for me and cancer is a pretty big 'one'

But there is an increased risk of certain cancers due to desexing a male dog?? So your not actually eliminating the risk of cancer at all

Facts and links please

Knock yourself out

Tihis is probably the best link on the subject and the conclusion for male dogs goes against popular dogma as perpetuated by vets and others.

On balance, it appears that no compelling case can be made for neutering most male dogs, especially immature male dogs, in order to prevent future health problems.

Of course health issues are not the only reason to desex a dog.

Edited by Telida Whippets

Guest donatella

Hmm interesting read, i don't understand why vets and articles push the desex to prevent cancer. To push your average Joe blow into neutering?