Advice On Rehoming A 7yr Gsd

Tarka

I think the point to make here is that the owner is sourcing a home for the dog so the dog can have a same or better lifestyle that it has always lived.

I think we could happily condemn her if she had dumped the dog at the pound to possibly be killed. But she hasn't done that. She's finding a home for the dog and the dog will cope and be happy. I'm not sure why she should be lynched for that.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't a competition about who lubs their puppy the mostest. This is a person who has made a hard decision that rehoming is in the best interests of the dog and is behaving responsibly about it.

In this case the person has decided that rehoming will be better for the dog than transport to a foreign country and return through quarantine. Their dog, their decision. They know it best. I certainly don't think its a given that every dog will cope with quarantine. Three months or more in a kennel run for a house dog? Some dogs would be stressed beyond belief.

Save the condemnation for those who take their dogs to the pound when they become 'inconvienient' for ANY reason.

:thumbsup:

This isn't a competition about who lubs their puppy the mostest. This is a person who has made a hard decision that rehoming is in the best interests of the dog and is behaving responsibly about it.

In this case the person has decided that rehoming will be better for the dog than transport to a foreign country and return through quarantine. Their dog, their decision. They know it best. I certainly don't think its a given that every dog will cope with quarantine. Three months or more in a kennel run for a house dog? Some dogs would be stressed beyond belief.

Save the condemnation for those who take their dogs to the pound when they become 'inconvienient' for ANY reason.

:thumbsup:

It is one month in quarantine and the dogs are actually very well cared for.

Obviously if the dog has a separation anxiety issue then it would probably not cope.

Most people are not condemning the OP, simply pointing out that taking a dog to a european country may not be as difficult as the OP thought, and that it may actually be an option.

It is one month in quarantine and the dogs are actually very well cared for.

Obviously if the dog has a separation anxiety issue then it would probably not cope.

Most people are not condemning the OP, simply pointing out that taking a dog to a european country may not be as difficult as the OP thought, and that it may actually be an option.

dogs don't have to have seperation anxiety to not cope well in a kennel and all dogs in all kennels should be well cared for. Most of the dogs I have owned in my lifetime would survive being in a kennel for that long but do well, nup a couple would barely have come out in one piece.

It's not just the taking of the dog overseas it is the coming back with possibly a very elderly dog. I can imagine the uproar on here if the OP was to ever post back in here in 4 years time saying she wants to bring her 11 year old GSD back and put them through quarantine.

Do people not think that the OP has considered every possiblity and rehoming is the one that fits her dog best so came to DOL to get advice on how best to do so?

All the people jumping up and down about the treatment of the poster in the my dog bit me thread, where are you now?

Just to throw a spanner in the works the beautiful GSD of the OP's will need to satisfy the european quarantine regulations should they decide to take her. I have a friend who had rabies shots done and done again and so far has not registered titres of immunity. This means the dog can not travel back to the UK.

OP's GSD is a beautiful looking dog and I am sure that her state GSD rescue should be able to help. I am assuming now that the dog is not from a breeder since the op has made no mention of the breeder.

If they have decided to rehome then I hope they find a perfect home.

http://www.gsdl.info/German_Shepherd_Welfare_%26_Rescue.htm

Edited by Rusky