Advice On Rehoming A 7yr Gsd

Tarka

Guest lavendergirl

The OP has made a decision based on their own circumstances and has asked specific questions regarding rehoming the dog. It is not an easy decision for anyone.

If you have a look in the rescue thread in the pinned topics there is some information that may be useful about private rehoming. Good luck with your search for a new suitable home.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We took our dog to the UK and she travelled in europe with us. She was 7 years old when she came over and 9 years old when she came home.

She was in quarantine for one month on her return to australia and coped absolutely fine. If anything she was healthier and better groomed after quarantine! We sent her home a month early while we took a last european holiday so we were able to pick her up immediately and didn't miss her too much.

I would not hesitate to do it again, I find the UK and europe MUCH more dog friendly.

Having said that, only you know if you think your dog would cope and you should do what you think is best.

You can visit the dogs in Quarantine anyway can't you? So if you did that on a weekly basis it wouldn't be hard on the dog at all as it would know you were coming back :)

Although it is a terrible decision to make, you are right you do have to do what is best for the dog :)

A dog may be for life but if you can no longer provide the life the dog deserves then you are doing the right thing :) I'm sure you will do the right thing by your dog :)

The OP has made a decision based on their own circumstances and has asked specific questions regarding rehoming the dog. It is not an easy decision for anyone.

If you have a look in the rescue thread in the pinned topics there is some information that may be useful about private rehoming. Good luck with your search for a new suitable home.

[/quote

True.

However I find it interesting that there are often threads in here about people getting rid of their dogs due to reasons such as this and most are up in arms about it.

Geez some people are judgmental and seem to be suggesting that you should not get a dog in the first place if there is any chance in the next 10-15 years your circumstances may change!

Sounds like our girl would rehome without too much issue and dogs are pretty adaptable - once she's settled into a new home and routine then she won't look back. People seem to forget that dogs don't have the same range of emotions as we do.

Taking her over could be feasible - but you'd have to consider having gone over first to find and set up a place and then how much disruption there would be initially before routines would be settled.

Taking a mature dog overseas for a year or two is fine but if you are going to be there for several years you may run into the problem of having a dog too old to bring back and then you are stuck there if you are not prepared to put the dog down. So with a GSD if the stay is only 2 years I would say take the dog but if it is likely to be 3-5 years, timing the return could be difficult.

Some friends of mine took a 7 year old I bred to Newfoundland for a year and she was fine despite the very long flights. They desperately wanted to take the jobs and had a reliable family member here who was happy to mind the dog but they didn't want to leave her even for a year. They rang me to see what I thought and were very relieved when I gave them my blessing to take her with them. They would not have taken the jobs if they couldn't have taken the dog.

Another friend took several dogs to Japan including two twelve year olds for a two year commitment figuring the two oldies would be gone when she was due to come home. Just to spite her they lived two more years and she had to keep extending her contract until they passed away. The extra two years meant her next oldest was then about 13 when she brought the others home.

True.

However I find it interesting that there are often threads in here about people getting rid of their dogs due to reasons such as this and most are up in arms about it.

Actually, I think you will find that this is one of the more 'accepted' reasons for people rehoming their dog, the unacceptable ones were

-we're having a baby

-older dog doesn't like the new puppy

-moving interstate

-dog isn't fun anymore

-dog won't learn how to behave

It might be worth also updating her info to detail other characteristics such as

- is she a barker

- any good with other dogs

- any good with cats

- expsure to livestock

- any other issues such as trying to escape etc

- good with kids?

I've always wanted a GSD but my neighbours got one and it has put me off them as she never shuts up! Beautiful dog though

take her with you

dogs are forever

Rubbish. He didn't give birth to the dog. The majority of dogs cope just fine being rehomed.

+1

+ 2

I also agree with the advice given above about doing it sooner rather than later so you can be around.

Seek the advice from an experienced rescue person about what to look out for when re-homing. Pros, cons and dangers to avoid.

Good luck.

Guest RosieFT

What I can never understand is that so many people will jump on this op for their decision, but not a word is said about the breeders who sterilise and rehome ex breeding bitches. Or dogs that have done their dash in the show ring.

THAT is apparantly just fine.

I can't see how it can be justified for one but not the other???

What I can never understand is that so many people will jump on this op for their decision, but not a word is said about the breeders who sterilise and rehome ex breeding bitches. Or dogs that have done their dash in the show ring.

THAT is apparantly just fine.

I can't see how it can be justified for one but not the other???

Breeders get beaten up over that all the time ;)

I have placed a couple of young adults in new homes. What I did was ask for a small fee then if things go amiss they are more likely to contact you for money back, hopefully.

I also did a couple of home visits with the dogs so they didn't feel dumped at a strange place with someone they didn't know, just for an hour or 2, even go for a walk & let them hold the lead & I took the dog to them rather than them take the dog away from its home. Felt it was less traumatic this way.

Do it a couple of months before you leave to make sure all goes well.

Rescue may help but I would still want to be involved & check the home & people.

Good luck, its not easy.

I had to stop the car on the way home from taking my last dog, to someone I knew well, because I couldn't stop crying. I couldn't drive. 4 days later she phoned & said I can't believe this, its like he has been my dog & lived here forever. Traitor :)

I have placed a couple of young adults in new homes. What I did was ask for a small fee then if things go amiss they are more likely to contact you for money back, hopefully.

I also did a couple of home visits with the dogs so they didn't feel dumped at a strange place with someone they didn't know, just for an hour or 2, even go for a walk & let them hold the lead & I took the dog to them rather than them take the dog away from its home. Felt it was less traumatic this way.

Do it a couple of months before you leave to make sure all goes well.

Rescue may help but I would still want to be involved & check the home & people.

Good luck, its not easy.

I had to stop the car on the way home from taking my last dog, to someone I knew well, because I couldn't stop crying. I couldn't drive. 4 days later she phoned & said I can't believe this, its like he has been my dog & lived here forever. Traitor :)

Rescues take dogs out of really bad situations and find them new homes. They have no obligation at all to listen to what the previous owner may want.

Rescues are under-funded and run by volunteers. It would be pretty disgusting for somebody who can obviously afford to keep their dog to expect help from rescue, let alone suggest that they then try to tell the rescue who they can rehome to. They have proven themselves to be the type of person a dog shouldn't be sold to, not the sort of people a rescue should take any advice from or be involved with at all.

If this dog needs to be rescued, I hope rescue can help, but if rescue does take this dog the last people that get a say in what happens should be the people that dumped the dog.

Does anyone know if there is a service available for rehoming dogs in a situation like the OP?

Something where the owner would pay a fee to cover the costs plus some. I imagine it would be really hard for a regular dog owner to rehome their dog as they don't have the knowledge or connections, which, in turn can lead to a poor outcome for the dog.

I know that I often see ftgh ads and I always wonder how they manage to find an appropriate home. My local Freecycle group often has dogs on offer.

I guess that a lot of people wouldn't be prepared to pay for someone to help rehome.

Good luck, its not easy.

Rescues take dogs out of really bad situations and find them new homes. They have no obligation at all to listen to what the previous owner may want.

Rescues are under-funded and run by volunteers. It would be pretty disgusting for somebody who can obviously afford to keep their dog to expect help from rescue, let alone suggest that they then try to tell the rescue who they can rehome to. They have proven themselves to be the type of person a dog shouldn't be sold to, not the sort of people a rescue should take any advice from or be involved with at all.

If this dog needs to be rescued, I hope rescue can help, but if rescue does take this dog the last people that get a say in what happens should be the people that dumped the dog.

What a horrid attitude. This person has not neglected or abused their dog in any way & is trying to make the best decision for the dogs welfare.

I was not meaning for them to dump the dog on a rescue person & neither was anyone else.

I know some rescue people that will see if anyone wants a particular breed & help those who need to rehome while the dog is still with the owner.

It may be that some people have an illness & have to move for treatment & cannot take their dog but have a few months to sort things out or other scenarios where they can keep the dog for some time & get organised. I doubt very much that the person posting would or wants to put their dog into rescue. We all know how long they get to live, if any time, in some of the larger rescues.

Good luck, its not easy.

What a horrid attitude. This person has not neglected or abused their dog in any way & is trying to make the best decision for the dogs welfare.

I was not meaning for them to dump the dog on a rescue person & neither was anyone else.

I know some rescue people that will see if anyone wants a particular breed & help those who need to rehome while the dog is still with the owner.

It may be that some people have an illness & have to move for treatment & cannot take their dog but have a few months to sort things out or other scenarios where they can keep the dog for some time & get organised. I doubt very much that the person posting would or wants to put their dog into rescue. We all know how long they get to live, if any time, in some of the larger rescues.

That is a lot different to somebody that chooses to take on a pet, and then just decides they want an exciting new lifestyle that doesn't include a dog any more. I think it's horrid that you would compare somebody forced to relinquish a dog through illness with somebody that just chooses to move away and get rid of their dog.

No ethical rescue would list the dog under their name unless they were able to assess it themselves. And doing that takes resources away from all the other dumped dogs they have to rehome. It isn't appropriate to dump a dog on a rescue org and then expect to have any say in how they rehome it.

Edited by Greytmate

Does anyone know if there is a service available for rehoming dogs in a situation like the OP?

I offered advice and support and regularly took on private surrenders, even from breeders, when I ran my rescue.

If done with care and under guidelines, rehoming dogs does no harm. I can understand though that this kind of service can be abused by those who are just irresponsible. However, irresponsible people will still 'get rid of' their dogs and usually in a manner that puts the dog at risk. They are far better off being in the care of someone who understands and follows safe and responsible rehoming practices.

I didn't charge any fees to surrender a dog either.