Dog Bite Statistics

rusty&biscuit

Hi everyone, for my year 12 maths assignment we are to choose a topic to compare and discuss statistics. My chosen field is dog bite statistics, and if possible, pit bull bites as opposed to other breeds (with my aim being to prove that pitbulls will bite less than other breeds, such as labradors etc). I will do some googling and post the assignment here once I'm done if you'd like. I would really appreciate any information and knowledge you guys have :)

The first thing you should know is that all knowledgeable dog bite researchers consider breed based reporting totally unreliable. Go and check uhe Center for Disease Control's website (USA) for more on that. You'd be basing your research on unreliable data.

The second thing you need to consider is that popularity of breed impacts on its bite frequency. One of the most frequent breeds reported in Canada is the Golden Retriever. Its also the country's most popular breed.

Personally, I doubt you'll be able to achieve your aim based on statistics available. The other thing you might wish to consider is whether frequency of bite is as important as severity of bite.

Is a breed that bites more frequently but not as hard as "dangerous" as a breed that bites less often but causes major damage when it does???

Edited by Telida Whippets

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151231382535363&set=p.10151231382535363

417082_10151231382535363_755300362_22908716_2122330253_n.jpg

Tasha Wilson

In Feb 2009, reporting became mandatory for all councils in NSW (previously just over 50% of councils reported)

accounting for the increase in reports compared to previous years (however, that number has continued to rise).

Breed Restrictions impact all owners of Pit Bull Terriers (green and blue), even though only a small number of them

(blue) will ever be involved in any incident (chase, menace or bite a human or other animal). It does nothing to

protect the community from attacks caused by other breeds (orange), which make up around 99% of incidents.

A dog attack can include any incident where a dog rushes at, attacks, bites, harasses or chases any person or

animal (other than vermin), whether or not any injury is caused to the person or animal.

Thank you both very much :)

Telida Whippets, that would be a good thing for me to discuss too, that a certain breed may have more recorded bites, however is the more popular breed, therefore making statistics unreliable. I'm only in prevocational mathmatics so that is the type of thing we have to discuss :)

And thank you very much ruthless, I find that information helpful :)

Thank you both very much :)

Telida Whippets, that would be a good thing for me to discuss too, that a certain breed may have more recorded bites, however is the more popular breed, therefore making statistics unreliable. I'm only in prevocational mathmatics so that is the type of thing we have to discuss :)

And thank you very much ruthless, I find that information helpful :)

I wouldn't say that it made the statistics less reliable.. but it would emphasize that statistics need to be carefully interpreted.

As they say, "there are lies, damned lies, and statistics". :lol:

" Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." ~Aaron Levenstein

For stats to be taken seriously you have to provide all relevent information that could be used as proof against your argument. i.e dog bites should take into account everything from age, gender, training, de-sexed, to things such as socio economic status of owners.. such that many people on this forum would belive all APBT owners are bogans and are more likley to live in the rough end of town.. and for most part that may ring true, such stats could also say that APBT's are more likely to suffer from abuse than other breeds because of the type of owenrs they attract..

Good luck!!

Not sure if you already know this, but dogsbite.org is the creation of a web designer that's pro BSL. Don't take any of what you read there as unbiased facts.

http://btoellner.typepad.com/kcdogblog/2010/03/the-truth-behind-dogsbiteorg.html

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/the-truth-about-dogsbite-org

Went and had a look at that site, i actually had a good laugh as she is hyping up the pit and rotties as the big bad guys to know and watch out for yet in her story section she has the story of the woman who needed a partial face transplant after being attacked be her Labrador :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, for my year 12 maths assignment we are to choose a topic to compare and discuss statistics. My chosen field is dog bite statistics, and if possible, pit bull bites as opposed to other breeds (with my aim being to prove that pitbulls will bite less than other breeds, such as labradors etc). I will do some googling and post the assignment here once I'm done if you'd like. I would really appreciate any information and knowledge you guys have :)

You've got a great topic there. The dog bite/attack question is a great one for pointing out biases and the effects of how data are handled (eg, normalising the data by the number of dogs). You also need to be careful about definitions. In many US areas, Staffies, Staffie X's and some other bull breeds are considered pit bulls. You should find it pretty easy to see that there are strong sentiments on both sides of the debate. Also, beware of any comments without documentation. Eg, the Labrador Retriever, not the Golden Retriever, is the most common pedigree dog in Canada, and has been for many years. Neither breed shows up as important in Canadian dog bite statistics. YOu also have to be cautious about the definition of 'bite'. Minor bites of kids by the family dog usually don't get reported, but some sources count them. It's rare for sources to differentiate bites that had 'cause' . . . eg, dogs that bite children who torture them.

I have taught stats at Uni level . . . I would advise against trying to get to the 'truth' on this one. Much better to use it as a demonstration of how hard it can be to determine the truth.

Nice stats , remember stats are only truth to the press muppets who want to be in the press, and the muppets that love the muppet press. Muppets. Never forget ...

<If you don't consider yourself to be a muppet in life, then prove it to yourself and peers, don't read or be involved with the press.!>

Woka woka woka.

J.