Boarding Kennel

fuzzy82

I just dropped the dogs off at a boarding kennel at Deception Bay, and the experience literally left me in tears. I booked them in in person a few months ago. I asked at the time if I could see the kennels, and they made some excuse and said they normally do it only by appointment and they avoid it if they can etc. But there was a big sign out the front that said inspections welcome, and my MIL has boarded her cat there and she was allowed to come in when she dropped the cat off, so I figured I would just walk them in when I dropped them off, like I did the last time I boarded them at a different kennel (and where we were encouraged to come in and have a look by some very friendly staff).

So today we are heading off to the airport at 12, going overseas for 2 weeks. At 9 we went to drop the dogs off. I waited outside with the while my partner went in to pay. Then a guy comes out with leashes etc and says he's taking the dogs in. I said "I'd like to walk them in please" and he said "it's too wet" to which I replied "I don't mind". And that's when he became horribly defensive and rude, saying that's not how they operate, it's "against the law" for me to come onto their premises, and asked me "are you gonna be funny about this?? Either I walk them in, or they don't stay here". I was tempted to take them home, but seeing as we're leaving in just over 2 hours, that wasn't an option. There are no boarding kennels I approve of nearby, the previous one they stayed at is an hours drive away. So I had no choice, I had to let him take them. He had to pick them up because he claimed the ground was so wet going to the kennels (it's behind trees and bushes, so you can't even see it from the reception area). So too bad if they didn't like being picked up by strangers.....

I was literally in tears. As if it wasn't terrible enough having to leave the dogs in kennels for two weeks, but now I'm also dealing with having them basically ripped out of my arms and taken into a kennel run by a rude, hostile person and I'm not even allowed to see where they'll be staying.

The guy made some comment about how he's been breeding and boarding dogs for 45 years, and "don't you trust us??". How am I supposed to trust someone who is that defensive about having their kennel inspected??

I will be letting them know when we pick them up that because of how he behaved the dogs will never stay there again. Dunno if I'm allowed to post the name of the kennel, but if anyone wants to know you can pm me.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry about your experience but most good kennels do require appointments to inspect because visitors rile up the dogs. The visitor also needs to be acompanied and that can take staff away from other duties and impact dogs boarding there. I would never board my dogs at a kennel that just allowed walk-ins with no supervision.

Guest lavendergirl

So sorry this has happened to you - I feel your pain. There is no excuse for that sort of rudeness and does not sound like he attempted to build any rapport with dogs. Very upsetting for you. I am in the Brisbane area too and have yet to find a good kennel that I am happy with. The last one I left my little guy with the kennel attendant just dragged him off - I was appalled - lucky he was only there for the weekend. I would be very wary of kennels who discourage inspections. Try not to let it spoil your holiday and chalk it up to experience. :)

Sorry about your experience but most good kennels do require appointments to inspect because visitors rile up the dogs. The visitor also needs to be acompanied and that can take staff away from other duties and impact dogs boarding there. I would never board my dogs at a kennel that just allowed walk-ins with no supervision.

I didn't want to inspect the whole kennel, I just wanted to walk the dogs in, remove their harnesses and walk back out. He had to walk them in anyway, so I didn't see why I couldn't just follow him in.

At the other kennel where they stayed that's what we did, and it only took the one person to walk the dogs in with us, reassure us that they would be fine, then walk back out.

So sorry this has happened to you - I feel your pain. There is no excuse for that sort of rudeness and does not sound like he attempted to build any rapport with dogs. Very upsetting for you. I am in the Brisbane area too and have yet to find a good kennel that I am happy with. The last one I left my little guy with the kennel attendant just dragged him off - I was appalled - lucky he was only there for the weekend. I would be very wary of kennels who discourage inspections. Try not to let it spoil your holiday and chalk it up to experience. :)

Yes, definitely learned my lesson. In the future I will inspect well in advance, and if they get weird about it I will have time to book them in somewhere else. I think I will go back to the kennel they stayed at last time, it's an hour away, but the staff were really friendly to us and seemed like they really cared about the dogs.

I didn't want to inspect the whole kennel, I just wanted to walk the dogs in, remove their harnesses and walk back out. He had to walk them in anyway, so I didn't see why I couldn't just follow him in.

At the other kennel where they stayed that's what we did, and it only took the one person to walk the dogs in with us, reassure us that they would be fine, then walk back out.

Most kennels you will find that their insurance doesn't cover you as a non staff member for going into the actual kenneling areas. So if a dog manages to bite you, you slip on the wet floors etc you would not be covered by their insurance. I think it's reasonable that you wouldn't be allowed into the actual kennels.

However a tour of the facilities is not too much to ask and to view the kennels through windows at the outside of the block. There was no excuse for the man's rudeness though, he could have communicated this to you in a MUCH better way.

I was literally in tears. As if it wasn't terrible enough having to leave the dogs in kennels for two weeks, but now I'm also dealing with having them basically ripped out of my arms and taken into a kennel run by a rude, hostile person and I'm not even allowed to see where they'll be staying.

The guy made some comment about how he's been breeding and boarding dogs for 45 years, and "don't you trust us??". How am I supposed to trust someone who is that defensive about having their kennel inspected??

I will be letting them know when we pick them up that because of how he behaved the dogs will never stay there again. Dunno if I'm allowed to post the name of the kennel, but if anyone wants to know you can pm me.

Maybe a friend or relative that lives nearby can ask for a tour of the kennel for you.

Or maybe there are DOLers who have boarded their dogs at the same place who may be able to provide feedbac wrt the kennel, and how their dogs were cared for.

Bon Voyage and enjoy your holiday :thumbsup:

Even if the kennel is shiite, the dogs will be okay!

Dont worry! :)

Most kennels you will find that their insurance doesn't cover you as a non staff member for going into the actual kenneling areas. So if a dog manages to bite you, you slip on the wet floors etc you would not be covered by their insurance. I think it's reasonable that you wouldn't be allowed into the actual kennels.

However a tour of the facilities is not too much to ask and to view the kennels through windows at the outside of the block. There was no excuse for the man's rudeness though, he could have communicated this to you in a MUCH better way.

Right, didn't know that. Problem is you can't see the kennel at all, because there is the reception building and a bunch of trees and bushes all around it, completely covering the kennels. If I could see the kennels from the reception area that would be fine too, but I basically left the dogs there with no clue at all about what the place looks like.

The Pines Pet Resort at Elimbah is the place I recommend, though they're usually booked well in advance. The kennels is up for sale though, unfortunately. Otherwise I've heard there's a new one at Glasshouse that is good, I can find out the details if anyone is interested.

I always walk my dogs into the kennel

and pick them up also.

But I'm somewhat of a regular, so maybe that makes a difference ...

anyhoo, OP:

what are you doing on DOL -

go and enjoy your holiday! :happydance2::party:

Edited by lilli

Maybe a friend or relative that lives nearby can ask for a tour of the kennel for you.

Or maybe there are DOLers who have boarded their dogs at the same place who may be able to provide feedbac wrt the kennel, and how their dogs were cared for.

Bon Voyage and enjoy your holiday :thumbsup:

Even if the kennel is shiite, the dogs will be okay!

Dont worry! :)

My MIL said the cattery looked nice and clean, but she couldn't see the dog kennels from where she was. But I guess if they keep the cattery clean they will keep the kennels clean as well.... And I was allowed to leave a bed, blanket and a toy for them.

and pick them up also.

But I somewhat of a regular, so maybe that makes a difference ...

anyhoo, OP:

Leave us forumites stuck in Australia to argue about the kennel :laugh:

Hehe, yep I should go finish packing and we're off to the airport in an hour :) Going to Norway to see family and ski and celebrate my 30th :)

and pick them up also.

anyhoo, OP:

Hehe, yep I should go finish packing and we're off to the airport in an hour :) Going to Norway to see family and ski and celebrate my 30th :)

:whee:

[if you don't get packing soon you will be inundated with requests for chocolate gifts from Norway or reduced makeup and alcohol at the duty free]

:wave:

and pick them up also.

anyhoo, OP:

I know the place you are talking about. Used yo board my animals there years ago, the cattery is fine, but the kennel area has always been out of bounds, this was why i stopped leaving my animals there, if they wont show you, they dont stay there. There is an excellent kennel at Rothwell, and a very good one at Taigum, you can look them both up.

There are a few others about, but I really do prefer the one at Rothwell. My cat and dog go in together in the cattery area, my chi is way too small for the big boys, and he old and disabled now, they look after him extremely well.

Sorry you had this experience, it is not comfortable travelling when you dont know what the place is like.

The Pines Pet Resort at Elimbah is the place I recommend, though they're usually booked well in advance. The kennels is up for sale though, unfortunately. Otherwise I've heard there's a new one at Glasshouse that is good, I can find out the details if anyone is interested.

I also go to Pine's Pet resort and have been sending my dogs here for years. I think they are fantastic. I did know they were selling. My dogs go into the kennels every year when we go on holidays, so hopefully the new owners are good. I remember when the current owners took over - they where the ones who did up the reception area.

A few years ago I went to look at 7 kennels in SA & every single one took me through the kennel areas. I have never heard of any that refused to let people look at the kennels.

By appointment only is natural as they have cleaning & chores to be done but I don't know anyone who has had to leave their dog in kennels that they have never seen.

Please pm me the kennel name & Lavendergirl too as I have people in Queensland looking for a good kennel to use twice a year on a regular basis & I will tell them to avoid these 2 places.

Hi Christina

Please PM me about your QLD friends (what breed of dogs) and how many - I may be able to assist.

Colliehound[

quote name=Christina' timestamp='1328787190' post='5716522]

A few years ago I went to look at 7 kennels in SA & every single one took me through the kennel areas. I have never heard of any that refused to let people look at the kennels.

By appointment only is natural as they have cleaning & chores to be done but I don't know anyone who has had to leave their dog in kennels that they have never seen.

Please pm me the kennel name & Lavendergirl too as I have people in Queensland looking for a good kennel to use twice a year on a regular basis & I will tell them to avoid these 2 places.

Sorry you're going to go through vacation worrying about your dogs. Don't worry too much. As Weasels noted, some people who are good with dogs are not so good with people.

I've read kennel management books that encourage kennel managers to insist on walking the dogs to the kennel, rather than letting the owner do it. Two reasons:

1) Dogs may be well behaved with the owner present, but become surly when the kennel staff tries to handle them. It's good to recognise this initially and be able to discuss with the owner how the possible problem is to be managed.

2) walking in with the dog gives the staff an opportunity to observe how the dog reacts to other dogs . . . and thus to avoid putting it next-door to a dog it doesn't like.

As for not allowing viewings . . . it's reasonable to do 'by appointment" only. When I was managing a kennel I always let people come in and see the dogs, but sometimes it was a problem. It upsets some of the dogs. And you do incur a risk if you allow people in when the floors are wet. Not to mention people bringing their kids in . . . that can be a nightmare.

One reason staff like to take the dog off you at the gate is, if "I" take the dogs away from you the dogs blame me, if "you" take the dogs to the kennel and leave "you" abandon them, yes I have found over many years this does make a difference. The dogs settle much better in most cases. Isn't that what you are looking for as an owner, that the kennel is more interested in the welfare of your dogs.

If you wish to inspect a kennel make an appoint and do so, if you are happy with the kennel book the dogs in.