14 Month Old Bitch Peeing On Beds

Leema

I recently rehomed a fourteen month old bitch with many disclaimers, one being that she'd pee on soft and high surfaces - the bed and the couch.

I advised that they perhaps make a 'no couch' and 'no bed' rule.

I've suggested that they use management approaches, I.e. Keeping the door closed to the bedrooms, etc. But for whatever reason this doesn't seem to be possible.

I'm happy for all suggestions to pass on.

One of the things I'd do is 'booby trap' the bed to try to curb the behavior, but this is a very confident dog that is fearless! Any suggestions like this are welcome too.

(Note: this is not a new behavior. It's why she became an outside dog at my house!)

Edited by Leema

Sorry! 14 months! Edited my post.

She hasn't been vet checked for this but I am sure it's behavioural/ habitual. She chooses to pee on stuff. It's not while she's sleeping or anything.

Edited by Leema

Telida, hormone insufficiency is interesting as this bitch has not had a season yet. She is actually very juvenile in a lot of ways. If I was to do bloods, what we would we be looking for particularly?

Persp, she lived with another family for 3 weeks and didn't pee inside at all! They implemented 'no couch, no bed' rule and she was fine. I think it's very much a learnt behavior.

I have a line of shelties that does it. Right from Great Granddad down, very frustrating and doesn't seem to be much you can do about it other than keep them out of the bedrooms which isn't that hard. None of mine are partially dominant dogs and they have never peed anywhere else, just on the bed. if you find some magic solution I would love to hear it

I hv had girls do this at this sort of age. Then they wee on every other dogs bed and settle on the last dry bed with a grumble of satisfaction.

Generally they train/grow out of it tho one still does it when crankie so inmycase I hv put it down to maturing and misplaced dominance. As you hv said a structured environment does seem to help shape the behaviour away.

Meea

Edited to say - never had a boy do it. You need a girl to really hold a grudge!

Edited by Meea

I have a bitch that does it (more so on the floor inside but did once do it on the dogbeds a few times!) about a month out from her season... every season, it's the only common link as she doesn't do it any other time. I've asked her breeder and she's not heard of this before, so it's something Special that Ari had in mind for me :laugh: