Dog Attack

petermoore

i know it must of been very upsetting for you but i am inclined to agree with Gussy's mum on this. Perhaps the speed of which your dog came into the other dogs space startled it? If the dog was on a lead to begin with can it be assumed it was an accident the other dog broke lose? Your dog was already lose then started acting aggressively back to the other dog.

The other dog may be social in a calmer situation but was simply stunned by your dogs sudden and quick appearence.

A dog that breaks its lead and attacks like this because it was startled is a very dangerous dog and should be declared dangerous. No matter how it behaves when it isn't in the mood to attack. This is the sort of dog that we don't need out in our community at all.

I'm surprised that anyone would try to excuse such horrifically destructive behaviour. There is no excuse for that.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP made a mistake. His dog did not rip another dog apart. His dog harmed nobody.

The dog that broke its lead is very dangerous, and should be declared dangerous. I would not be happy that somebody was walking such a nasty, strong and viscous dog in a public area. A dog like this should be at home, or muzzled.

Petermoore, please do not be put off by advice from people interstate. While you should accept any legal consequences for your own dog not being under control, this other dog needs to be brought to council's attention urgently. A QLD council is likely to act, as this other dog has shown itself to be very dangerous.

.. dogs are on lead for a reason. Off lead dogs should respect that

The OP made a mistake. His dog did not rip another dog apart. His dog harmed nobody.

The dog that broke its lead is very dangerous, and should be declared dangerous. I would not be happy that somebody was walking such a nasty, strong and viscous dog in a public area. A dog like this should be at home, or muzzled.

Petermoore, please do not be put off by advice from people interstate. While you should accept any legal consequences for your own dog not being under control, this other dog needs to be brought to council's attention urgently. A QLD council is likely to act, as this other dog has shown itself to be very dangerous.

The dog that attacked wasn't confined by a lead.

The dog that attacked wasn't confined by a lead.

It was until it broke it when barked at by the greyhound.

yes, I would report the attack. That level of damage inflicted by any dog is not good. However, I think the the OP needs to accept a significant degree of responsiblity for causing the attack, if not the injuries that resulted. Not a winning situation for either owner sadly.

i know it must of been very upsetting for you but i am inclined to agree with Gussy's mum on this. Perhaps the speed of which your dog came into the other dogs space startled it? If the dog was on a lead to begin with can it be assumed it was an accident the other dog broke lose? Your dog was already lose then started acting aggressively back to the other dog.

The other dog may be social in a calmer situation but was simply stunned by your dogs sudden and quick appearence.

A dog that breaks its lead and attacks like this because it was startled is a very dangerous dog and should be declared dangerous. No matter how it behaves when it isn't in the mood to attack. This is the sort of dog that we don't need out in our community at all.

I'm surprised that anyone would try to excuse such horrifically destructive behaviour. There is no excuse for that.

I am not excusing it, none of us were there except for the OP. If i was walking my dog on lead and doing the right thing when another dog suddenly appeared and spooked my dog causing it to bark and say basically 'get out of my personal space' and off lead dog then also starts carrying on (as the OP said his dog did) then to completely excuse the off lead dog and say the dog and its owner are 100% in the right is also crazy.

Sure the dog shouldn't have attacked the off lead dog, but dog should not of been off lead and should not have provoked the dog that was on lead. If on lead dog is that aggressive normally it should be muzzled when in public, if this was my dog and i was doing all the right things i would be annoyed if someone let their off lead dog into my dogs face like that. As Dxenion said, even the council admits the greyhound owner is at fault.

Edited by german_shep_fan

I have been in the position where an off lead dog has charged at my ON LEAD dog and there is no owner to be seen or an owner pondering meters away.... my dog is not dangerous nor has she ever bitten but she also knows when she has had enough of an off lead dog aggravating her on lead.... my OH has been bitten by on off lead dog who didn’t get hackles raised and us shooing him away meant back off... we tried walking away but this dog kept following wanting to mount her, nipping her feet wanting to play... some dogs are not interested and you cannot expect every dog to like being harassed and not get annoyed about it... who knows how long the OP dog was there before she saw what was happening....I am not saying the behaviour is ideal of the onlead dog but one owner was present the other was not which makes a world of difference.

P.S I'd also like to add it’s very hard to control 2 dogs in a provoked situation especially if one is not yours and off a lead.

Edited by GussysMum

I am not excusing it, none of us were there except for the OP. If i was walking my dog on lead and doing the right thing when another dog suddenly appeared and spooked my dog causing it to bark and say basically 'get out of my personal space' and off lead dog then also starts carrying on (as the OP said his dog did) then to completely excuse the off lead dog and say the dog and its owner are 100% in the right is also crazy.

Sure the dog shouldn't have attacked the off lead dog, but dog should not of been off lead and should not have provoked the dog that was on lead. If on lead dog is that aggressive normally it should be muzzled when in public, if this was my dog and i was doing all the right things i would be annoyed if someone let their off lead dog into my dogs face like that. As Dxeion said, even the council admits the greyhound owner is at fault.

Petermoore admitted some fault and didn't try to excuse himself at all.

The council where this attack happened hasn't admitted anything. :confused: And they won't admit anything unless it is reported and acted on.

Nobody is saying that petermoore shouldn't accept the consequences of having the dog off-lead. There are legal consequences for that.

The owner of the other dog has no right to be annoyed because their dog wasn't harmed at all. They deserve a fine for failing to control their dog , and the dog needs restricting from being able to attack like this again.

I have been in the position where an off lead dog has charged at my ON LEAD dog and there is no owner to be seen or an owner pondering meters away.... my dog is not dangerous nor has she ever bitten but she also knows when she has had enough of an off lead dog aggravating her on lead.... my OH has been bitten by on off lead dog who didn't get hackles raised and us shooing him away meant back off... we tried walking away but this dog kept following wanting to mount her, nipping her feet wanting to play... some dogs are not interested and you cannot expect every dog to like being harassed and not get annoyed about it... who knows how long the OP dog was there before she saw what was happening....I am not saying the behaviour is ideal of the onlead dog but one owner was present the other was not which makes a world of difference.

Yeah nearly everyone here has been in that position.

The difference is that your dog didn't cause a massive injury. And if you think your dog ever will, I hope you are responsible to muzzle it and keep it on a proper lead. Otherwise you can expect to have your dog reported and declared dangerous.

I have been in the position where an off lead dog has charged at my ON LEAD dog and there is no owner to be seen or an owner pondering meters away.... my dog is not dangerous nor has she ever bitten but she also knows when she has had enough of an off lead dog aggravating her on lead.... my OH has been bitten by on off lead dog who didn't get hackles raised and us shooing him away meant back off... we tried walking away but this dog kept following wanting to mount her, nipping her feet wanting to play... some dogs are not interested and you cannot expect every dog to like being harassed and not get annoyed about it... who knows how long the OP dog was there before she saw what was happening....I am not saying the behaviour is ideal of the onlead dog but one owner was present the other was not which makes a world of difference.

Yeah nearly everyone here has been in that position.

The difference is that your dog didn't cause a massive injury. And if you think your dog ever will, I hope you are responsible to muzzle it and keep it on a proper lead. Otherwise you can expect to have your dog reported and declared dangerous.

Every dog has the potential to bite if severely aggravated.... its like saying every dog should be muzzled which is not realistic nor ideal... every owner having control of their off lead dog is realistic though and very ideal....

You're right Gussy's Mum - that is why every dog on lead either needs:

i) An owner that can hold a leash properly (including when your dog is aggrevated) OR

ii) It should be muzzled if you know you can't actually contain it

While all dogs can bite, for many dogs it would take a lot more than a bouncy greyhound to provoke a full-on attack. As dog owners it is our responsibility to assess our dog's temperament without rose coloured glasses, know their trigger points and act accordingly.

Im sorry but i agree that the OP is at fault here.

I have a dog aggressive dog. I dont muzzle her unless i am going to the vets or somewhere where she has to be in close contact with other dogs. She is on a lead and i keep her away from off lead parks.

I always check my leads before going to make sure they are not tearing or damaged. Atlas has a habit of chewing them if i dont hang them up high enough. Who knows why this ones lead broke, but had they not had a dog going off and running around maybe their dog wouldnt have pulled and it wouldnt have broken?

I am so sick of doing everything right and people going off at me because their 'friendly' off lead dog doing the wrong thing gets told off my me or her (usually i get in first, dont mind the dog, beware of the owner)

I hope this isnt a death sentence for this dog :( QLD dont have much time for dogs on the restricted breed list...

I am sorry your dog got hurt, but if it was me i would know where the blame sits.

Every dog has the potential to bite if severely aggravated.... its like saying every dog should be muzzled which is not realistic nor ideal... every owner having control of their off lead dog is realistic though and very ideal....

It is not like saying every dog should be muzzled. Why would your dog need to be muzzled?

Every owner should have a clue of their dog's tolerance towards other dogs. If their dog has a low tolerance it should be muzzled in public. It isn't hard to work out.

This dog has a low tolerance and so needs to be muzzled. Even if the owners didn't know before, they certainly do now, and council has a responsibility to enforce restrictions on it.

Sure the dog shouldn't have attacked the off lead dog, but dog should not of been off lead and should not have provoked the dog that was on lead. If on lead dog is that aggressive normally it should be muzzled when in public, if this was my dog and i was doing all the right things i would be annoyed if someone let their off lead dog into my dogs face like that. As Dxeion said, even the council admits the greyhound owner is at fault.

Petermoore admitted some fault and didn't try to excuse himself at all.

The council where this attack happened hasn't admitted anything. :confused: And they won't admit anything unless it is reported and acted on.

Nobody is saying that petermoore shouldn't accept the consequences of having the dog off-lead. There are legal consequences for that.

The owner of the other dog has no right to be annoyed because their dog wasn't harmed at all. They deserve a fine for failing to control their dog , and the dog needs restricting from being able to attack like this again.

No it was only charged at then barked at by an out of control off lead dog.

Greytmate - plse don't think i am against greyhounds in these views as i am not, i would hold the same view no matter what breeds were involved.

Both owners need to accept responsibility, until the OP confirms or not that the beach was off lead (then it is a different story) or that on lead dog was originally controlled on lead and lead snapping or breaking of collar ect was an accident, i am sorry but i will have to hold a different opinion to yours :)

Edited by german_shep_fan

It is not like saying every dog should be muzzled. Why would your dog need to be muzzled?

Every owner should have a clue of their dog's tolerance towards other dogs. If their dog has a low tolerance it should be muzzled in public. It isn't hard to work out.

This dog has a low tolerance and so needs to be muzzled. Even if the owners didn't know before, they certainly do now, and council has a responsibility to enforce restrictions on it.

she would not, but after 5 minutes of an annoying off lead dog she might lose her cool and bite... does this mean she will need to be muzzled the rest of her life when in public?

I think the history of the on lead dog would need to be taken into consideration before any decision was made.

So sorry for your dog, hope it will be ok. Am not excusing the aggressive dogs behaviour, but this situation wouldn't have happened if your dog had been restrained. I would definitely report the dog, however, as it was partly your fault by allowing your dog to 'charge' (that's probably how the other dog saw it) the other dog, I think you should pay for your own vet bills.

please do not go about saying the dog was a pittull, as you said yourself you don't know for certain the breed of the dog, please just call it a cross bred dog. PittBull, Rottweiler etc get blamed because people assume that's what they are because of how the look and it's hurting our breeds. Thank you

she would not, but after 5 minutes of an annoying off lead dog she might lose her cool and bite... does this mean she will need to be muzzled the rest of her life when in public?

I think the history of the on lead dog would need to be taken into consideration before any decision was made.

Council will not take history into account. They will only look at this incident.

Look, it's up to you, but if you cannot stop your dog attacking other dogs, I really hope council does declare it dangerous. But it sounds like you can, and so your analogies are irrelevant. This is about a dog that caused a massive injury, not a hypothetical situation.

Op is at fault he should have went and grabed his dog and put it on lead if it didn't come when called. Shelley my GR,Missy my whippet and Rascal my chi are mostly off lead on our walks. There only on lead till we get to the oval. But in saying that if I see another dog or human I call them to me Shelley and Rascal I can leave off lead and just say ignore and they do, Missy on the other hand I hold onto her till the person or dog has gone. Missy is getting better now she is only 7 months 1 week old and is learning the command ignore, But I still keep a hold of her when there are people or dogs around. Sometimes tho Missy spots another dog before I do but I know by her body language that she has spoted something, I call her when she looks I start runing the other direction which normally gets her to chase me. There are times where Missy hasn't chased me and went to play with other dog or human, I say sorry to the people and put Missy onlead,They normally say its alright and ask how old she is and when I say 7 months they say oh only a baby. They understand she is still in training but I still feel horrible about it.

i) An owner that can hold a leash properly (including when your dog is aggrevated) OR

While all dogs can bite, for many dogs it would take a lot more than a bouncy greyhound to provoke a full-on attack. As dog owners it is our responsibility to assess our dog's temperament without rose coloured glasses, know their trigger points and act accordingly.

We dont know how long the grey was bouncing around.... and how close it was bouncing, if it read the on lead dogs signals and reacted?... there are a lot of factors with the OP was probably not even witness to since the OP was not near their dog till the attack....

I do agree though "IF" this person did own a pitty or another typically strong dog, they should be walking it on a more appropriate lead.... (its like when you see people walk giant dogs on retractable makes me laugh) but all jokes aside in this scenario that’s the only thing I agree with unfortunately and without being there I wouldn’t say deem the dog dangerous biased on this one incident.

Did this happen in an off leash area?

I don't really think you can expect the owners to pay for your vet bills, after all this wouldn't have happened if your dog was adequately controlled.

They were controlling their dog as well as could be expected (on a leash), they may not have known their dog would break the leash and attack your dog- who provoked their dog.

Having said that, the dog caused serious damage and should be reported so that measures can be taken to prevent such incidents in future eg. a stronger lead or muzzle.

I hope your dog is ok and makes a quick recovery.

Edited by aussielover

The OP said their dog ran up and barked at the other dog- hardly just a "bouncy" approach, the other dog may have seen it as a charge or provocation. As lovely as greyhounds are, I can imagine one running up to you and barking would be pretty intimidating.

As for you first point- this would pretty much mean no giant breed owner should walk their dog without a muzzle as few people could truly hold back a 60-80kg dog when it is aggravated.