Phenergan For Dog Allergy

GSDowner

My dog was on cortisone tablets, then was fine for several weeks and now is back to his old scratchy self.

I would like to try phenergan and read on this forum (year 2006) that phenergan can be used.

My german shepherd weighs 39kg (86 pounds)

The information given was:

"Phenergan - I've got variable doses here, but you should be safe to give 1 wtmg tab twice a day"

I don't understand what "wtmg" means

and how many days would I need to use phenergan

(I would like to try it before yet another visit to the vet)

I would be grateful for help

Sometimes you have to try several different antihistamines to find one that works for your individual dog.

Try the phenergan for about 10 days and gauge the response, if it is easing the symptoms you can have a break of 3 - 5 days then try another antihistamine.

What is it that your dog reacts to?

This link has dosages for different types of anti histamines. Might be an idea to check with the Vet or Chemist first. I have used anti histamines for a couple of our dogs, and they have worked well for seasonal allergies. Just like with humans, you often need to try a few to find out which one suits the individual, if any.

Antihistamine dosage chart cats and dogs

Just wanted to add, some slow release tablets shouldn't be cut into pieces, so just need to be careful of that. A chemist could advise.

The veterinary dosages are not the same as those for humans, chemists are not vets, the link you provided is a Veterinary one and contains the correct information for dogs.

Yep, realise it isn't a human dosage chart, that's is why I posted it. :)

Sorry if I caused confusion, I meant that since that chart, there may be some forms of these tablets that shouldn't be cut or crushed so it is best to ask this question when purchasing them from the chemist. :)

For example, Polaramine 12hour tabs should not be cut or crushed, but the 6hour tabs, 2mg can be. Just being careful.

Thank you so much for your responses and so quickly considering it's Saturday.

The chart is invaluable, I will add it to my Favourite.

My dog unfortunately gets his allergy several times a year. His vet thought it was

a wandering jew weed, but then when we got rid of this weed he again got sick.

The vet said it could be anything: even something in the air like pollens, chemicals etc.

I don't think it is his food as he has been eating raw meet, mainly chicken necks.

beef hearts, mackerel fish in oil (canned), cottage cheese,sometimes an egg(raw) fruit, carrots.

Few months ago I tried spraying apple cider vinegar on his big hotspot and it dried out next day;

but this time he keeps rubbing his face and there are open wounds; so vinegar would be useless,

I put some betnovate cream (hopefuly this is the right thing to do?)

The vet said that there is no use to do tests on him to eliminate causes,as it is very tedious and not always successful; he also said that even though causes may be found, there is no guarantee the allergy can be prevented.

So my dog gets (several times a year) cortisone shots, cortisone tablets and antibiotics (big oblong tablets). His mood changes and he becomes grumpy and hides from us. He is 9.5 y old and I am afraid cortisone may be detrimental to his health and I do pray he lives a long happy life.

Edited by GSDowner

Thank you so much for your responses and so quickly considering it's Saturday.

The chart is invaluable, I will add it to my Favourite.

My dog unfortunately gets his allergy several times a year. His vet thought it was

a wandering jew weed, but then when we got rid of this weed he again got sick.

The vet said it could be anything: even something in the air like pollens, chemicals etc.

I don't think it is his food as he has been eating raw meet, mainly chicken necks.

beef hearts, mackerel fish in oil (canned), cottage cheese,sometimes an egg(raw) fruit, carrots.

Few months ago I tried spraying apple cider vinegar on his big hotspot and it dried out next day;

but this time he keeps rubbing his face and there are open wounds; so vinegar would be useless,

I put some betnovate cream (hopefuly this is the right thing to do?)

The vet said that there is no use to do tests on him to eliminate causes,as it is very tedious and not always successful; he also said that even though causes may be found, there is no guarantee the allergy can be prevented.

So my dog gets (several times a year) cortisone shots, cortisone tablets and antibiotics (big oblong tablets). His mood changes and he becomes grumpy and hides from us. He is 9.5 y old and I am afraid cortisone may be detrimental to his health and I do pray he lives a long happy life.

Sounds familiar to me.....

My girl's "allergies" cleared up on a good diet and no C5 vaccination annually. I looked back over my records and low and behold, two months after her annual vaccination, she would be back at the vet with really really itchy skin. Because this time of year coincided with hayfever season, vet put it down to this. I was reading up on stuff, decided not to annually vaccinate and not have the C5, problems cleared up almost completely.

I titre test now - her immunity levels are at the highest level they can be classed at.

Worth looking into I reckon if you are lost for answers.

Ok having a dog with severe allergies I'm sorry to say your vet has pulled the wool ver your eyes. If you see a dermatologist your dog will have allergy tests and then will start desensitization injections. It works for most dogs to lessen the severity of the symptoms. I had my boy tested at 18 months, he will be 3 in April and the immunotherapy has made a huge difference to his life. Yes he is still on antihistamines at the minute but he is in no way as itchy as he was. Our dermatologist is brilliant in my mind Mason wouldn't be alive without her as she is that good and they have helped him that much. Food for thought..

In the absence of finding anything obvious as far as an exterior cause (ie contact allergy) is concerned, I tend to back track to work out whether it could be relating to what I put ON the dog and/or what I put IN the dog. One of the first things I like to do is back of from all chemical drugs (as far as I safely can). This includes shampoos and where practical, flea treatments; worming; frequent/regular vaccinations; and more.

And use post-5887-0-00812500-1329535385_thumb.jpg Calendula Tea as a wash on your dog's skin. Pour through/saturate the skin with it and leave in (don't rinse). Antibacterial, anti-inflamatory. Yet isn't going to upset the dog's skin's pH level, which is what often happens when we go crazy with washes. You may find, as I did, that with the use of the Calendula Tea, the use of any medication (anti-histamines inclusive) becomes uneccessary.

From what I'm reading, experiencing and hearing, chicken seems to more and more be causing allergy related problems in our dogs. It is helpful, however, if you stick to organically grown human grade meats.

You might be interested in the relatively new Food Intolerance Saliva Test that is now available in the USA. You get the test kit, use the rope supplied to soak saliva from your dog's mouth, package it as directed and return it to the laboratory in USA. From this test I do have the results showing my dog is intolerant to beef; corn; and soy. Takes away some of the guess work :). But, if you are inclined to have this test done, I'd wait until May - by then the test is expected to have advanced to include additional protein sources. Nutriscan - Dog Food Intolerance Test.

I like to go the least invasive way first where I can. That's what I'd do, anyway :D. Either way, I hope the info helps :).

Edited by Erny

Yup my dog has food allergies too, chicken is a big problem for us. But Erny I spoke with my dermatologist about those tests and some uni or professor did a study on those saliva tests and it concluded that they are not successful on determining food allergies. I'm still waiting for her to mail me the article, when she does i will send it on to you.

ETA also with dogs with atopic dermatitis its what they breath that makes them itch so topical applications just don't work for them unfortunately.

Edited by Mason_Gibbs

Yup my dog has food allergies too, chicken is a big problem for us. But Erny I spoke with my dermatologist about those tests and some uni or professor did a study on those saliva tests and it concluded that they are not successful on determining food allergies. I'm still waiting for her to mail me the article, when she does i will send it on to you.

ETA also with dogs with atopic dermatitis its what they breath that makes them itch so topical applications just don't work for them unfortunately.

Yeah - I understand (vaguely) that there is a difference between "allergy" and "intolerance". I must admit that what I have read in terms to the differences confuses me somewhat and so I'm not entirely clear on how they are so divided. In fact, I get the impression that there is somehow a link between the two. Whether it is that the intolerance can develop to an allergy (which is the only way I am so far able to understand it) or not, I'm not sure. But still, IF there is a link between the two, then the saliva test result would surely give some direction???

Where is Rappie and/or Staranais :wave: .... c'mon over here you two!! ..(haven't seen Star for ages .... hope she is ok and assume she is busy being a Vet :thumbsup:). They are both really great at explaining things to me in ways I can usually understand.

ETA: Not sure I haven't already read the study you refer to, MG, but more than happy to receive it to read/re-read. Pro-K9's Email Addy

Cheers

Erny

Edited by Erny