Chocolate Labs

Clyde

My lovely neighbours are looking at choc labs. I have in the back of my mind that skin issues can be a problem?

Could people please recommend a breeder in NSW or ACT? PM if you prefer.

They are experienced dog owners and would prefer not to travel too far.

I am up against the local pet shop so time is of the essence :laugh:

I think if good chocs are hard to come by they could be tempted by a black.

I'd be stressing to these people that this is a very popular breed and good breeders don't have pups available NOW.

Send them the link that was posted about buying a pup.

The last large breed gundog pup I know of that was bought from a pet shop required a double hip replacement.

Never ceases to amaze me that people expect to be able to buy pups on demand. They'd probably wait longer for delivery of a popular brand and model of new car.

I have chocolate labs and have no skin problems at all.

Chocolate labs are pretty popular at the moment so it is pretty unlikely that they will find a pup straight away. I have a waiting list for my litters before they are born and they are all usually spoken for as soon as they are born.

Buying a lab from a pet store is a very bad idea. They are prone to hip and elbow problems, so they need to go to a registered breeder and find a litter with parents that have good scores. These problems can be very costly but also not a great life for the dog.

Yep, I know the drill only too well.

They've had plenty of dogs, both pedigree and pet shop. So it's neither here nor there for them and I don't want to be too interfering. I said I would find out about the skin thing and put forward some breeder recommendations.

They're not expecting a pup 'on demand', he is a breeder himself of working Kelpies so knows only too well about the ins and outs - but they are not anti pet shop and we have a huge pet shop locally here which offers a lot of different breeds.

Edited by Clyde