Very Sad Day At The Vet Today

mr.mister

:( I find the entire greyhound and horse racing industries abhorrent.

Nothing but disposable animals with the odd success story.

Sorry, have witnessed both industries first hand and would dearly love to see these revovling doors of death, injury, and discarded lives stopped.

I can't dress it up, its tragic & preventable :mad

fifi

I couldn't agree more, RIP sweet Lucy, :cry:

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Racing Greyhounds IMHO should be dealt with outside of the pet market and it makes things worse when some failed racing dogs get the opportunity to live their post racing life in a pet home and some don't. If what they do is euthanase perfectly good dogs that are not competitive enough for racing, do so where pet owner who love their dogs warts and all don't have to see this tragic waste of life. Vet's I think should do these jobs off site, the average pet owners don't need to see a healthy young dog in a vet waiting room facing death because it can't run fast enough, to the average pet owner, that's not s good enough reason for a dog to PTS and they shouldn't be exposed to the trauma of it.

I blame the vet practice for this, the vet should do it off site or bring the poor dog in through the back door.

Pet Owners bring healthy pets in to be PTS every day too, are you suggesting that we sweep all this under the carpet and protect those that find it hard to deal with.

Chances are if you frequent Vet Clinics then you will witness something gut wrenchingly sad.

Accident victims being rushed in, elderly much loved companions making their final trip all very sad and often confronting situations.

Totally agree with Crisover - have seen lots of death and injury at the vets. Have offered support to owners that needed it and have been given support in turn by strangers. Have also seen vets get owners to agree to surrender perfectly healthy dogs they no longer want to them rather than PTS. One of our current dogs we have because we wandered in on Christmas eve 2010 to say thank you and leave a card/wine and met a little dog who was so joyous about life despite his appalling condition. He had been brought in to be PTS as he was aggressive. We have had to deal with a reactive dog and he was not one - so he came home with us so we could get him back to health, give him some training (he had none was not even toilet trained). Its clear from this thread that others have rescued from the vets waiting room too. And IMO taking a pet to the vet because you no longer want it is an improvement on dumping it as there are worse things than death. Would prefer we lived in a world where this didn't happen at all but it does and it needs to be dealt with the best way possible. We also have a rescue grey and she is a wonderful dog who was thankfully rescued by greyhound rescue when she was dumped in a pound. I don't want to see the end of greyhound racing anymore than I want to see the end of horse racing, though I support neither and when younger did retrain several ex racehorses all of whom came to me in bad condition, but I do wish the bad trainers/owners could be weeded out.

Whilst I too also find the Greyhound racing industry repulsive with so many dogs being bred and being put down or being treated badly when they don't measure up, I am actually more disgusted with pet owners who take their perfectly healthy, once loved and cherished dogs to the vet to be put down because they no longer want them. :cry:

A few weeks back, I was told a very distressing story from a fellow Labrador owner who told me that one of her clients who had two beautiful labradors that were much loved and pampered pooches for 5 years from puppyhood and were treated by her client and her husband as substitute children as they couldn't have kids of their own and then out of the blue, despite medical advice to the contrary, she got pregnant and after she had the child, they took the Labs to the Vet to have them PTS as they wanted to devote all their time to their newly arrived child and they didn't want the dogs anymore. These poor dogs were once the centre of their owner's universe and they wanted for nothing and they lost their lives because of their heartless despicable owner's decision that they were "disposable" as they had fulfilled their purpose until the child came along :mad

Whilst the Greyhound racing industry has a lot to answer for, so do the heartless owners that so easily dispose of healthy dogs that are no longer wanted and won't even bother trying to rehome them and instead take them to the vet to be euthanised :mad . As sad as it is that these beautiful greyhounds are losing their lives, many of them have never been raised as a beloved pet and then betrayed by their owners in the worst possible way because they are no longer wanted, just like these poor Labradors were. :cry: Apart from healthy dogs who have been dumped/surrendered to pounds that end up losing their lives, I bet there are many more instances of healthy, once beloved pets being taken to the vets by their owners and euthanised than we know about. :cry:

It's crying shame that these healthy ex beloved pet dogs are continuing to be euthanised without their plights being given any visibiity or anyone from a Vet practice expressing outrage/sadness about their plight :( . Instead they have chosen to target the Greyhound racing industry by highlighting the plight of this poor unfortunate greyhound who was brought in to be euthanised. I know some healthy dogs that are brought in for euthanising by their owners are saved by some Vets and rehomed, but not all and it is impossible for them to try and save every dog. However, I would just like to say what about all the other poor healthy pet dogs who suffer the same fate as the poor Greyhound when they are brought in by their owners to be euthanised because they are no longer wanted - where is the visibility and outrage for these poor souls. :cry:

I have read all these posts, and there is obvously no good way/bad way to go.

Why on earth do you think the rspca, shelters etc., are all full!!! Everyone is jumping down on this lady, without knowing the full story I am not saying she is right or wrong. .Every day dogs of every breed are PTS. So sad, Finding homes for Greys is quite hard, as is every other dog, The Grey being PTS is awful but look at all the other dogs, every day, PTS with the same fate. You are not at all concerned about the MULTITUDE of dogs/puppies...PTS just look at the lists...lets do something about these dogs, lets look at the lists at the RSPCA,, Hey... if we could get a home for all these dogs, wonderful.... Sadly, this just wont happen....

most of them will go the same way. But, they will be no names, cross breeds that stupid people would have done...