Very Sad Day At The Vet Today

mr.mister

I was at my vet today with my foster cat, Henry, when I noticed a stunning greyhound and her handler sitting next to me. I was about to compliment the lady on her dog when she mentioned to another patient that she was in to be euthanised, because she wasn't racing well and GAP were full. :( She was 2.

The woman was adamant on staying with the dog in her last moments, and I applaud her for that.

RIP Lucy, you were a beautiful girl. I'm so sorry you weren't able to be saved.

:cry:

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I witnessed a whole litter of about 8 young, maybe 12-18 months old greyhounds being dropped of to be PTS a couple of weeks ago at the vets. One by one they were led in by their collars, tattoos checked against their paperwork, then taken out the back and their collar placed on the bench. There was a whole pile of collars by the time I was leaving :(

Edited by ish

How can people do that?? Look at a beautiful dog and see it only in terms of racing. I find it really disgusting and awful :cry:

Maybe they are seeing the dog in terms of its suitability to be rehomed. GAP were full. I imagine it takes a skilled program to adapt greys from the track to the home.

Edited by lilli

Good on the trainer for being there and doing the right thing.

There are plenty of things worse than death that can happen to a Greyhound (or any breed for that matter), at least this one was PTS humanely and didn't end up dumped in a pound, set free on a street, starved to death of shot in a back paddock.

and she also thought about trying a greyhound program rather than doing what Pav Lova mentioned in her post

as sad as it is and I do feel very sorry for the greyhound, a very humane way for the greyhound to pass

Yes, as I mentioned, I think the woman did the right thing by her dog by staying with her. She seemed genuinely upset to have to have her put to sleep.

It is still incredibly sad though. Incredibly sad.

Yes :(

Who knows what the owner tried to do before she arrived at the vet

or how many avenues ended up being a dead end, or could not help.

At the end of the day, you do your best and what you can at the time.

And sometimes pts is the outcome.

There is nothing to say the owner is deserved of a disgusting or thumbs down judgement.

All deaths are sad. But how a dog passes matters, and this dog was given care until its end and did not suffer or go through a drawn out process.

It is always sad to see a perfectly healthy animal go to the bridge.

But as others have said, better humanely pts than some of the other options...

Good on the owner for staying - it really is the best you can do, hold them while you say goodbye...

I was at my vet today with my foster cat, Henry, when I noticed a stunning greyhound and her handler sitting next to me. I was about to compliment the lady on her dog when she mentioned to another patient that she was in to be euthanised, because she wasn't racing well and GAP were full. :( She was 2.

The woman was adamant on staying with the dog in her last moments, and I applaud her for that.

RIP Lucy, you were a beautiful girl. I'm so sorry you weren't able to be saved.

:cry:

Very easy to say GAP is full. The truth is that GAP Victoria always runs at full capacity, and the dogs that it takes in are the ones who had owners that bothered to put them on a waiting list and hold them after racing until their place comes up. If careful planning is done, the wait isn't very long at all. Besides that, it is better for the dogs to be given a few weeks break from racing before going into GAP.

We don't know the full story, but with a comment like that it is obvious this woman doesn't want other people to know the full story either. She gets no applause from me.