Very Sad Day At The Vet Today

mr.mister

I witnessed a whole litter of about 8 young, maybe 12-18 months old greyhounds being dropped of to be PTS a couple of weeks ago at the vets. One by one they were led in by their collars, tattoos checked against their paperwork, then taken out the back and their collar placed on the bench. There was a whole pile of collars by the time I was leaving :(

:cry: That is so sad and so is OP's incident.

I'd never be able to do it :(

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:( I find the entire greyhound and horse racing industries abhorrent.

Nothing but disposable animals with the odd success story.

Sorry, have witnessed both industries first hand and would dearly love to see these revovling doors of death, injury, and discarded lives stopped.

I can't dress it up, its tragic & preventable :mad

fifi

Sorry, have witnessed both industries first hand and would dearly love to see these revovling doors of death, injury, and discarded lives stopped.

fifi

It's not always tragic. I've raced my Greys and am friends with other owners/trainers who have a heart and do what's best for the their dogs. We aren't all evil with three heads and our dogs don't always end up dead at the end of their careers.

Two of mine live the life of luxury and have been rehomed.

One I have opted to PTS. He was on the GAP list and the wait was about 2.5 months at the time. The more down time he had, the more he wanted to chase and the less suitable he became for adoption. That one I opted to PTS, he just wasn't safe to rehome.

I'm pleased to say that within my circle of Greyhound friends, none of the dogs are treated like disposable trash and there's plenty more out there like us

:( I still see that as unacceptable Pav, the dogs were still trained for racing and re-homed & euthed when unsuitable.

Still not a dog bred, raised and homed in a loving forever home from the get-go.

And yes, I feel the same about show dogs in a revovling door of 'petted out' Even if one does not work out in the showring here..it stays.

fifi

Edited by fifi

fifi

I'm with you Fifi.

:( I still see that as unacceptable Pav, the dogs were still trained for racing and re-homed & euthed when unsuitable.

Still not a dog bred, raised and homed in a loving forever home from the get-go.

And yes, I feel the same about show dogs in a revovling door of 'petted out'

fifi

I purchased all of my dogs second hand as mature racing adults. Gave them a life with lots of human contact, the best food and medical care that money can buy and most of all the love they deserved.

I feel no guilt when it comes to their rehoming, they have wonderful homes and the one that I PTS, was a tortured sole. He'd never known a kind hand and took months to come around, he stressed about everything, had a very high prey drive and could not be trusted around children and other animals. I feel no guilt for having put him to sleep either, I know that the time he spent with me, was without a doubt the best time of his life.

It doesn't matter is the dog is an ex racer, a show dog, a unwanted family pet, a foster or a puppy you've bred yourself, what counts is that the animal finds a home where it's loved and cared for and going back to the OP, if it is going to be euth'd, that it's done humanely

Edited by Pav Lova

fifi

I'm with you Fifi.

I'm also with you Fifi. :(

but it DOES matter, no racing industry means that greyhounds don't NEED to be re-homed or shot or euthed in the first place.

One less batch of unwanted dogs.

fifi

No showing or breeding, agility, obedience, means that no adults or puppies need to find a home either, it's not just the racing industry that has unwanted or excess dogs, although they probably contribute a large %.

I can see that there has been a shift by some owners/trainers, towards having less dogs, breeding less puppies and putting 100% into the few dogs that they have. There is still the old school of breed masses of them and hope to god that one can run and the rest are destroyed and I really don't like that.

I wonder if the dog in the OP had not been a Greyhound, if people would have objected in the same way to it being euth'd. I very much doubt that Lucy was the only unwanted dog to die at that clinic today

but it DOES matter, no racing industry means that greyhounds don't NEED to be re-homed or shot or euthed in the first place.

fifi

No more anything in Australia's big land of we know what's best.

Only appropriate activities condoned by the appropriate authorities with the appropriate measures.

Beam me up Scotty!

fifi

No showing or breeding, agility, obedience, means that no adults or puppies need to find a home either, it's not just the racing industry that has unwanted or excess dogs, although they probably contribute a large %.

I can see that there has been a shift by some owners/trainers, towards having less dogs, breeding less puppies and putting 100% into the few dogs that they have. There is still the old school of breed masses of them and hope to god that one can run and the rest are destroyed and I really don't like that.

I wonder if the dog in the OP had not been a Greyhound, if people would have objected in the same way to it being euth'd. I very much doubt that Lucy was the only unwanted dog to die at that clinic today

I can't speak for anyone else, but I would have been devastated regardless.

I've also met trainers who keep few dogs and really put their all into them. My next door neighbour has his now retired racing Grey whom he loves and is very proud of .

Either way, I'm not judging the woman's actions. I'm just so very sad for the loss of a young life. Admittedly, this is the first time I've ever seen anything like this first hand, so maybe I'm a bit sensitive.

fifi

No but she was the most emotive.

And anyway PL, your line of thinking does not have the welfare of the animal at heart ... and dare I say the nation!

You cannot saw sawdust PL.

If she had not been a greyhound, it would have been just as sad that another unwanted dog was pts.

owner education, desexed pets, ethical breeders who aren't default puppy farmers and no greyhound industry, would go some way to addressing the surplus.

fifi

I don't know how anyone could have a healthy dog PTS. It's hard enough having a sick, old dog PTS. :cry:

I don't know.. I know every dog can't be rehomed, but it's so upsetting knowing the dogs life had been cut short just because they no longer were bringing in the cash :cry:

My goodness, I honestly don't know how some people live with themselves. Oh, all you 'good' trainers out there funding a perfectly acceptable gambling industry (gambling is good right?). Its fine to be mass breeding dogs and forcing them to race (yes, not all of them want to be SHOVED into the cages and run for their lives- I say shoved because I have seen the videos). Yes it's fine for you to treat you dogs like kings and queens whilst you know you helping those that don't. Who cares about that batch of puppies that are too slow and don't have the instinct to chase, that are then killed either by the vet, shot, starved etc. Who cares the pounds and rescue groups are so full that they have greyhounds coming out of their ears which are then forced to be put down. Tell me, why do you think that racing is good. Explain to me the 'good' in racing. Greyhounds are DYING at a rate far higher than any other breed of dog. So please, tell me why you think it's ok.

Are you people serious? Good on her for staying with the dog? This was a healthy, young dog, which was PTS because it could not serve her purpose…ie make her money. How many others has she put down? I can almost guarantee you its not the first.

These dogs are bred in hundreds and to do one thing…RACE, for our entertainment. Not just the Australian public, but they are also shipped off to Macau etc, where they have absolutely NO protection…not that they have any here…obviously.

There is no such thing as a “good trainer” in my books, you breed, race and then dispose of your dogs. And worse…you say you have no guilt…despicable.

And how many dogs in a week our put down in the pounds through out Australia.?

Here you all are discussing ONE dog that was loved enough to have the right thing done by it.

At least it was loved enough to be put down at the vets instead of being given away to some person who said they would care for and never did. I have seen so many greys that are given away and lead a life of sheer hell.

There are far worse things in life for some greyhounds than dying at the vets.

I have seen greys kept in conditions that would make a puppy farm look like a palace.

Good on the woman that cared enough to do the right thing by the dog.

Pity there weren't more like her.