Very Sad Day At The Vet Today

mr.mister

CharlieG, Houdini was far from an isolated case. If you do a google search about Greys with their ears cut off you'll see many stories. Houdini was the only one I personally met though.

Now with chipping introduced in the Grey industry, it would have ceased.

Yes I remember Houdini and he was not the only one :( My father was a bookmaker.I grew up at the racetrack.When I fostered my first greyhound an old school bookie from my fathers era told me some horrendous stories of cutting their ears off.Chipping makes no difference I'm afraid.Just for me personally I won't waste my energy on trying to stop racing in Australia whether it be horses or dogs because it's not going to happen.I would rather put my energies into doing what I can to save the ones I can.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without having been there and actually having a long conversation with this woman, how can any of us judge her for having this dog PTS? How do we know what is happening in her life that would make it impossible for her to do anything but what she did?

Without really knowing the whole story behind Lucy, the Greyhound, no one should really judge. But I do believe the OP is right in her estimation that at least Lucys ending was not a violent or stressful event.

i give the woman full credit for doing what needed to be done tho. the dog may not have been suitable for rehoming and there are worse things than a dignified end. much worse.

I'm judging her, and I have every right to judge her.

The woman used "GAP is full" as an excuse! What a misleading thing to say . Dishonestly trying to present herself as a person that didn't have the option of putting the dog in the program. She is a miserable low-life that doesn't value dogs unless she can make money from them. Disgusting. That's my judgement and I stand by it.

What do you mean by 'misleading'? Do you mean that GAP never reaches full capacity?

Without having been there and actually having a long conversation with this woman, how can any of us judge her for having this dog PTS? How do we know what is happening in her life that would make it impossible for her to do anything but what she did?

Without really knowing the whole story behind Lucy, the Greyhound, no one should really judge. But I do believe the OP is right in her estimation that at least Lucys ending was not a violent or stressful event.

i give the woman full credit for doing what needed to be done tho. the dog may not have been suitable for rehoming and there are worse things than a dignified end. much worse.

The woman used "GAP is full" as an excuse! What a misleading thing to say . Dishonestly trying to present herself as a person that didn't have the option of putting the dog in the program. She is a miserable low-life that doesn't value dogs unless she can make money from them. Disgusting. That's my judgement and I stand by it.

What do you mean by 'misleading'? Do you mean that GAP never reaches full capacity?

Like I said in my earlier post, GAP runs at full capacity. All Victorian racing participants are informed in writing of what steps need to be taken for GAP to accept their dog for assessment. They need to plan in advance for their dog to go into GAP, or maybe be willing to hold onto it for a short time. To simply say that "GAP is full" shows that she is not willing to take any responsibility. If she wanted that dog to have a chance as a pet, she would have made the effort. Plenty of people do.

Grey's are used as vet student pts practice at the uni here, so many of them just can't find a home or be rehomed. Overall i don't like the grey racing industry but i am sure there is no denying that there would be a few who would never just send their dogs off to be killed when they no longer race well as PL was saying. Unfortunately thought there are so many who just see these beautiful dogs as $$ and don't give a crap about their welfare at all. That's what really annoys me abt the industry is just the staggering loss of life due to $$.

However the same can also be said of the sled dog industry overseas and there are also many other healthy and loving young dogs of all breeds pts in pounds everyday. It would be equally upsetting if it were a pruebred, a grey or a crossbreed. No dog should have to die due to being homeless. Thats why breeders work so hard to find homes which they feel will love the dog forever. They are the lucky ones.

RIP greyhound.

:laugh:

I guess she should have said GAP run at full capacity ...

:scold:

Greytmate makes a very valid point.

If the dog had been put on the waiting list earlier, the wait at retirement would've been greatly reduced. At worst, the trainer has to feed the dog for an extra month or two if the dog retires sooner than expected.

It comes down to a willingness to plan for the animal's future. I used to get trainers doing the opposite all the time- calling me and saying things like "I need this dog gone by Monday" and when they were told other dogs were ahead of theirs on the list (because the trainers of those dogs had made the effort to prepare), they'd often try to lump responsibility back on me, as if I should've known they wanted to surrender a dog on that particular day and held a place for them :rolleyes:

I then got put in the position of "If you don't take the dog, it'll be put to sleep and that's your fault". If you take the dog, trainers who have been waiting complain (and rightly so), if you don't take the dog, the trainer in question complains and either way, the rehoming group has to deal with the consequences of other peoples' laziness. Filling out the form takes a couple of minutes- it disgusts me that those few minutes often end up being worth more to them than the dog's life.

I have very little patience for the people who cannot be bothered with planning. In my opinion, if you can't spare that time, you shouldn't have responsibility for animals. The trainer mentioned in the OP gets no sympathy from me, I'm afraid.

I don't see what is so funny.

She didn't need to mention GAP at all. She is responsible for deciding to take that dog to the vet and have it euthanised. If people can't be honest about why they are going to have a dog euthed, perhaps they should keep their mouths closed about it.

I don't see what is so funny.

She didn't need to mention GAP at all. She is responsible for deciding to take that dog to the vet and have it euthanised. If people can't be honest about why they are going to have a dog euthed, perhaps they should keep their mouths closed about it.

I wasn't aware that trainers could have their dogs on a waiting list in advance. Now I know, that makes the situation a whole lot sadder. This woman complained about having to wait in the clinic for so long, as she had things to do that day and couldn't hang around. She then said that she'd rung earlier in the morning so it should have been fine. I have no idea if she meant she had called to confirm, or if she had just made the booking that morning. :confused: It was a pretty confusing conversation for me, as on one hand she said it broke her heart to do it, on the other hand she didn't have time to sit around all day as she had errands to run.

I can only assume from what she said that she wanted the dog gone ASAP. But I really don't know what went on in the background.

I have no sympathy either for the trainer, the dog was surplus to requirements.

Greys are one of the easiest dogs i have fostered to adapt to pet life, they are wonderful, i have not had one i couldn't have kept.

I was in the pound one morning when a triner walked in with 4 siblings, he called them ABC and D when asked their names :(

And as for those staking the 'there are worse things that can happen so people should not take issue with this' approach when defending the death of this greyhound...that is a really flimsy argument. The idea that one should 'excuse' or 'ignore' an ethically questionable practice [having healthy young dogs euth'd once they outlive their moneymaking usefulness] because worse things happen [people starving dogs to death etc] is pretty abhorrent. That is akin to saying 'This BYB bred a litter of crossbreed puppies, but people shouldn't complain because a puppy farm bred 100 litters of crossbreed puppies. That is worse and therefore we shouldn't have an issue with the BYB.'

Can people see how dishonest that tactic is? Do you really need to resort to using such a logical fallacy?

And as for those staking the 'there are worse things that can happen so people should not take issue with this' approach when defending the death of this greyhound...that is a really flimsy argument. The idea that one should 'excuse' or 'ignore' an ethically questionable practice [having healthy young dogs euth'd once they outlive their moneymaking usefulness] because worse things happen [people starving dogs to death etc] is pretty abhorrent. That is akin to saying 'This BYB bred a litter of crossbreed puppies, but people shouldn't complain because a puppy farm bred 100 litters of crossbreed puppies. That is worse and therefore we shouldn't have an issue with the BYB.'

Can people see how dishonest that tactic is? Do you really need to resort to using such a logical fallacy?

no one is defending the death of this dog or any of the many thousands of all breeds put down every year because they are unwanted. What I am saying it at least it was a humane death, and having worked for the RSPCA for 10 years, I have seen many animals who would have been glad for a humane death. It is not a tactic it is my true belief. Better a humane death then an inhumane life or death.

I wasn't aware that trainers could have their dogs on a waiting list in advance.

I can't speak for the other groups (although I'd assume most would have the same policy) but if a trainer/breeder/owner wants to put a dog on the list, the earlier, the better and there's no limit on how early - one day old pup? No problems.

The earlier it gets on the list, the closer to the top it will be during racing which gives it a safety net in the event of an unexpected career-ending injury.

If the dog is still racing when its spot comes up on the list, that's not a problem either- the dog stays in that position until it does finish racing.

And Polecatty..

I hate to sound condescending here but you have no idea. I've seen plenty of dogs for whom humane euthanasia would have been a mercy. I cared for one last year (which ended in him having to be PTS) and in my opinion, his trainer keeping him on the verge of death constantly was far crueler than what the woman in the OP did.

Some things really are worse than death and for greyhounds, just existing in a run, being fed the cheapest food and being kept alive for the sake of being kept alive is probably one of those fates I'd consider "worse".

Of course, if you have a suggestion that would make both rescue groups and the racing industry happy, by all means share it :coffee:

Typo

Edited by Hardy's Angel

..or maybe "GAP cannot take this dog, at this time now, and I have run out of options for her"....

..or "I am a miserable low-life that doesn't value dogs unless I can make money from them"....

Who knows. :( I don't.

I get so sick of the simplistic 'lets just ban it' attitude.

Without horse racing would all the luxury such as feed, vet care, etc etc exist - would someone really have tried magnetic therapy, pellet food, stem cell research, colic surgery advances all wihtout the existnt of horse racing? Th eare photos in magazines from the 50s showing the 'new' way of transporting horses these days its so advanced that horses travelling around the world in special boxes to minimise injury - you cant say racing didnot help any of this along.

Perhaps greyhound racing has done the same in many techniqus - I don't know as I dont follow it but there seems plenty of treatments and theries used on racedogs now also used on pets.

Yes I hate it when the dogs are treated as throwaways (never got an answer years ago when I asked dog racing people if dogs have litters then where are brett Lees litter mates (that was the standout champ at the time). I also think its awful that if a gyhound breaks a leg in a race that its normally put down - cannot see why since dogs unlike horses can live with even three legs if need be. Only answer Ive heard is that its too hard to get them fit again Am I going to rave on about banning well no because this is stuff the industry itself should be working towards and its up to those 'good' participants to get the authorities to crack down on the 'bad' aspects.

As for that woman and the greyhound at the vet My judgement would have been made after one question - will you sell or give the dog away right now here at the vet (either they wanted to rehome it and had run out of options or they wanted it dead and that question answers that).

And yes I have heard of greyhounds taken to the vet where the person takign them has refused a last minute rehome offer and insisted the dog put down - likewise have heard stories of racing owners demanding a horse be sold to the knackery no matter what and trainers/handlers finding a way to rehome the horse 'witness protection' style.

That would have to be the weakest argument I have ever seen for perpetuating the racing industry, and given that all of the arguments are fairly weak that's saying something!

And for those saying what would happen to all the racing animals if the industry were banned now? The same thing that happens already - most die - the only difference is that the cycle would stop. Keeping it going out of some illusion that animals are being 'saved' is ridiculous, it's the same argument they tried to use to justify jumps racing, it 'saves' horses from being dogged, when in reality it just delays the inevitable.

Take the industry out and make the sport a hobby with the welfare of the animals a priority, that is the only way forward.

The fact that there are worse atrocities committed against animals in no way negates the awfulness of a dog being put down because the owner couldn't be arsed finding a home for it, I have no idea why anyone would think that argument could possibly mollify the people who object to the obscene wastage of the racing industries.

..or maybe "GAP cannot take this dog, at this time now, and I have run out of options for her"....

..or "I am a miserable low-life that doesn't value dogs unless I can make money from them"....

Who knows. :( I don't.

If the options had run out it is because she didn't care enough to plan in advance, or is not willing to look after the dog for a few more months. As a Victorian racing participant she would have been informed in writing of what her options are so she could make plans at the appropriate time. She mentioned GAP as an excuse for what she did, and she did it dishonestly. She offered no other excuse. She expected people to accept that excuse, because people generally do not understand how to place a dog in GAP. But now everyone here has been informed of how GAP does work, her dishonesty has been revealed. Don't try to offer excuses for dishonesty even if you do excuse what happened to the dog.