Very Sad Day At The Vet Today

mr.mister

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And how many dogs in a week our put down in the pounds through out Australia.?

Here you all are discussing ONE dog that was loved enough to have the right thing done by it.

Loved enough to be Killed you mean? Is killing a dog who cannot make you a few $$$$s anymore doing the right thing?

Is killing a dog because a new baby is in the house or it digs holes or it barks or any other reason doing the right thing?

People kill dogs for many reasons none are worse than the other and often pts is the only realistic option.

There are worse things than dead for some dogs.

If there is a dog that is barking all the time and digging holes, it means one thing, you have not given it time and training. This is not the dog's fault but your own.

Really? Great to see you have all the answers and can do a behavioural assessment over the net.

So what your saying is the dog was born like that, with behavioural issues?

They can be

:D sure. I have owned and fostered over 40 dogs, alot of puppies included, none of the puppies came to me with these issues, alot of dogs did.

Big deal. I have owned dogs all my life and worked with them for decades. you clearly do not get out enough to see all types of dogs/puppies

Edited by dog_fan

:D sure. I have owned and fostered over 40 dogs, alot of puppies included, none of the puppies came to me with these issues, alot of dogs did.

I have bred, owned, fostered, bought or otherwise been closely involved with considerably more than 40 dogs and I can assure you that there are some pups out there with behavioural issues. SOME dogs are just born "wrong" - no different to the way some people are.

If the government banned Greyhound racing tomorrow, what do people here think is going to happen to the thousands of Greyhounds already alive?

Same as if horse racing was banned tomorrow.

Without having been there and actually having a long conversation with this woman, how can any of us judge her for having this dog PTS? How do we know what is happening in her life that would make it impossible for her to do anything but what she did?

Exactly Fifi. How can ppl sit here and justify this, I am appauled.

well you will just have to be appauled won't you, because dogs die all around the world every day just like this one and it does'nt have to be a greyhound.

It's a fact and it's reality.

Without having been there and actually having a long conversation with this woman, how can any of us judge her for having this dog PTS? How do we know what is happening in her life that would make it impossible for her to do anything but what she did?

Ah, the voice of reason... no doubt it will be drowned out by the sound of feet stomping up onto soap boxes.

FYI folk, the word is "appalled". Never say I don't add value. ;)

Edited by Telida Whippets

Explain to me, how are dogs just born wrong, I would love to know.

In a word "genetics". It's not common but it can happen.

Its not common, but yet we see thousands in pounds and PTS for behavioural issues.

Yes, unwanted behaviours that for the most part could have been resolved by training, exercise and company. That's most, but not all.

Its not common, but yet we see thousands in pounds and PTS for behavioural issues.

Yes, unwanted behaviours that for the most part could have been resolved by training, exercise and company. That's most, but not all.

And if we did those thing we would see far fewer dogs in pounds.

And your point is?

No one has ever suggested that all "problem" dogs are ones which have been born that way - but you obviously don't understand yet that SOME are.

Yep - the majority of screwed up dogs are the fault of their 'early childhood' so to speak, but not all.

Guest donatella

I put my Rottie to sleep,because I didn't want her any more.

I feel utterly sorry for any pet or future pets that come under your care who 'just don't cut it' ie aren't wanted anymore.

People that see pets as disposable items make me physically ill. Your poor darling rotti girl, I'd be interested to hear exactly why she wasn't wanted anymore

Surely Tarope couldn't be serious???

I hope not but I don't know why you'd joke about that

And how many dogs in a week our put down in the pounds through out Australia.?

Here you all are discussing ONE dog that was loved enough to have the right thing done by it.

Loved enough to be Killed you mean? Is killing a dog who cannot make you a few $$$$s anymore doing the right thing?

Thats correct, the owner won't pay the trainer to train a dog that is not fast enough. What do you want ??? a trainer with with more dogs than they can affored to feed, remember the trainer would now have to pay the feed bill out of his/her own pocket, just to appease your thoughts.

:mad Here's a novel idea...scrap the bloody greyhound industry, problem on the way to solved at least in one area !

And what are we to do with the thousands of Greyhounds that belong to the Greyhound Industry. :)

Are we to put a vast majority of those down too ?. Always remeber when there is no greyhound Industry there will no owners to pay the bills. So who feeds and cares for those greyhounds left.

Also don't forget the money the Government makes out of the Racing Industries in this country.

While the Government is making money the Racing Industries are not going to go away.

Question: if greyhounds are not bred for racing, will there be any greyhounds? Few seem to be shown and I query if a rare breed is what greyhound people want? Can't there be a middle ground?

yes there will always be greyhounds even if they are a rare breed in the showring.

Question: if greyhounds are not bred for racing, will there be any greyhounds? Few seem to be shown and I query if a rare breed is what greyhound people want? Can't there be a middle ground?

yes there will always be greyhounds even if they are a rare breed in the showring.

:thumbsup: Absolutley, and look at the quality in Europe :)

fifi

:thumbsup: Absolutley, and look at the quality in Europe :)

fifi

hey we have excellent quality here too :D