Get Rid Of The Flies!

GABBA

Over the last few months (hotter months), i have had a real problem with flies. They are all over my dog! (I live in the Western Suburbs, not the country FYI). They are even biting his ears! I've washed him (although he dirties himself again), sprayed him with repellent (dont know how good of an idea this is, but im desperate), put garlic around the yard (apparently flies dont like the smell - it didnt work).

What else can i do?!

We haven't had a lot of flies here over the last couple of years. Only those horrid biting ones. I sprayed my legs with repellent when outside and still got bitten. the only thing I have found working on the dogs ears is heavy thick grease. The down side is that it attracts dirt but I would rather see the dogs ears plastered with dirt than fly bites. I don't know if it is the dirt plastered on that stops the flies but at least its working. The stuff I have is very old stuff that used to be used on dairy cows teats. It is that thick that I have to stand it in hot water to make it usable. The product is basically a very heavy Lanolin with some type of oil addeded but over the years has separated.

Some ideas:

Hanging fly traps. Available at large hardware stores like Bunnings etc. They can help reduce the fly population significantly.

There are insect repellant sprays designed for horses/dogs that can help.

Also possibly those area sprays that you can set to spray intermittently set up near the dogs bed/main area it lies etc.

See the thread further down about treating ears etc for fly bites.

Hi Gabba,

I use Repel X on the body and Fly Repella on the ears and top of their heads.

I also agree with espinay2, the fly traps are fantastic in decreasing the population. Just hang them in a sunny position and away from where the dogs congregate. The smell in the mixture attracts them. Just be prepared for the stenc when emptying the contents and replacing the mixture.

I have on occasion used Coopex as well http://www.bayeranimal.com.au/default.aspx?Page=50&ItemId=47

Make up the mixture on a sunny and not windy day. Put dogs and any water containers away and spray around the place. I usually spray on fences, walls of the house etc. It dries quite quickly and then dogs can be let out.

We've been quite lucky in Sydney, has not been a hot summer and fly numbers have been down.

Good luck.

regards

KK Team

Permoxin every day sprayed all over - works really well with the cream Smooch makes me use on my guys.

If you have cats, I would advise against permoxin. Permoxin is toxic to cats.

Just as well you mentioned the cats, but we don't have any cats so not a problem for us.

Some ideas:

Hanging fly traps. Available at large hardware stores like Bunnings etc. They can help reduce the fly population significantly.

These are fantastic - I hung one outside a few days ago and it's jam packed already.