Flying A Lab From Brisbane To Melbourne

Lisey

I'm just after some advice for my friend - she is possibly taking her healthy 3 year old lab back to Melbourne to live with her mother - when she orginally moved to Qld and enquired about flying her dog up (I don't know who she contacted) the person advised her not to fly the dog unless she absolutely had to and if she did fly her it would make her dog go crazy in the head..... So she drove to Melbourne to pick her up and then drove back to Brisbane with her dog in a weekend. This doesn't seem right to me. People fly their dogs often without issues don't they? Does anyone have any advice I can give my friend?

Edited by Lisey

Wow! Definitely weird advice there. I have flown my dogs before and had no dramas. IMO it is easier if you don't have a dog who is nervous or frightened by loud noises or strange environments, and if they are already crate trained so they comfortable and happy to be in an airline crate.

If the dog is healthy and happy I don't see why there would be any issues with flying it.

Odd advice if you ask me. I have flown dogs before, several times, and never had a problem.

People fly pets all over the world and it doesn't make the pets "crazy".

As others have said, if the animal is adequately prepared then there really shouldn't be an issue. But, if she is worried, she could talk to her vet, or phone one of the animal transport services (Jetpets, Dogtainers etc) and discuss her concerns with them.

Hi Lisey. :)

Well there are issues and I'm surprised they weren't mentioned.

Luggage gets priority over dogs so if you have a connecting flight at Sydney it means the dog may be held over.

I had a dog held off two flights because there wasn't room.

The dog finally arrived although it was 12 hours late.

Generally though, animals are given excellent care and welfare officers check the animals between flights.

I have had two dogs removed from crates because they were deemed to be too small (they weren't) and although I was extremely annoyed it is great to think that some serious incident would not go unnoticed.

Regards

Px

Maybe the flight over explains why my rescue Lab from Canberra (flown to Perth) is just a bit crazy?! :rofl:

Her dog will be fine :) Mine wasn't crate trained before she came to me, and is afraid of things like vacuum cleaners so can't imagine she would have enjoyed the flight noise, but she hopped off the plane fine and dandy!

Edited by RubyStar

Contact Wayrod on the forum. Really great guy to speak to and organizes travel all the time. I am sure he would be happy to give you some advice.

Yep I also recommend you contact Wayrod....he organised a flight for one of my puppies from Melb to Cairns last year. Great person to deal with, very professional & a really nice guy to talk to.

Oh & as far as I know the puppy didn't go crazy in the head. ;)

We've had a long history of flying both adult labs and lab puppies across the country. When we were a military family we chose to fly our lab Casper to every posting without any issue. Prior to that we flew an adult German Shepherd dog to new postings; again with no issues. Wilbur (8 months) flew to us from Melb when he was 8 weeks old; again no dramas.

Me thinks your friend was given some 'crazy' advice :)