Officer Shoots Dog.

Blackdogs

Those pictures posted weren't very clear... At least I couldn't make anything out in most of them. But bull breed or not I still would not agree with the dog being shot. Doesn't matter what the breed was, I believe there are other options available.

I don't know why you've bothered wasting your time trying to change others opinions when people have made it quite obvious that it's not going to happen. You must be one of those people that must. Always. Have. The. Last. Word... And can't respect that people have opinions differing to your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those pictures posted weren't very clear... At least I couldn't make anything out in most of them. But bull breed or not I still would not agree with the dog being shot. Doesn't matter what the breed was, I believe there are other options available.

I don't know why you've bothered wasting your time trying to change others opinions when people have made it quite obvious that it's not going to happen. You must be one of those people that must. Always. Have. The. Last. Word... And can't respect that people have opinions differing to your own.

Oh FFS, I didn't agree with the dog being shot either!!!!!!

But on that note, all contribution from me ceases. I respect other people's opinions enough, not to be insulting. You should try it.

Oh well, you got what you wanted though. Yay for you.

Edited by Telida Whippets

The pictures were clear enough. The screen shots were clear enough. If you couldn't make anything out of them that tells us you do not have much experience or skill in analysing dog behaviour. That is ok, but it means your opinion on the incident doesn't matter. You didn't understand what was going on anyway.

We do not know what other dog-control options are available to people in New Orleans.

I respect people with opinions other than my own if they are put forward with a logical supporting argument. I do not respect the opinion of people that do not understand the subject, but have a go at those that do.

I think Telida's posts have been informative, and although she has not changed the opinion of the zealous, she has been able to explain the behaviour to the people that are interested in knowing what it all means before forming an opinion. That is the great thing about these forums, people can be educated, and then use that knowledge to avoid problems. It is not required that they all post here to agree or disagree. People can do their own further research if they feel that they need to verify any of the assessments made here about the dog behaviour.

The pictures were clear enough. The screen shots were clear enough. If you couldn't make anything out of them that tells us you do not have much experience or skill in analysing dog behaviour. That is ok, but it means your opinion on the incident doesn't matter. You didn't understand what was going on anyway.

We do not know what other dog-control options are available to people in New Orleans.

I respect people with opinions other than my own if they are put forward with a logical supporting argument. I do not respect the opinion of people that do not understand the subject, but have a go at those that do.

I think Telida's posts have been informative, and although she has not changed the opinion of the zealous, she has been able to explain the behaviour to the people that are interested in knowing what it all means before forming an opinion. That is the great thing about these forums, people can be educated, and then use that knowledge to avoid problems. It is not required that they all post here to agree or disagree. People can do their own further research if they feel that they need to verify any of the assessments made here about the dog behaviour.

I couldn't make anything out of them because all I could see was a smudge (I am looking at it from an iPhone screen) it has nothing to do with my prior experience with dogs or dog behavior and I feel I've had enough to be able to give my input thanks :) you can ignore my comments if you choose...I'm not here to impress you or anyone else. I've already stated my opinion pages ago - I just find it amusing that some choose to go on and on and on... When really your not changing anyone's mind :) trolling at its finest ;)

Maybe you can point out exactly which screen shot of that video shows either dog actually attacking please. Not some holier than thou explanation of the dogs body language but an actual attack

Maybe you can point out exactly which screen shot of that video shows either dog actually attacking please. Not some holier than thou explanation of the dogs body language but an actual attack

The advantage of understanding canine non-verbal communication is that attacks can be prevented by analysing the dog's intent. We can make a decision to remove the dog before an attack occurs. That happened in this video.

You would have to watch a video of an actual dog attack to see exactly how the behaviour escalates to its natural conclusion.

I don't think every single person needs to watch dogs being attacked to get the gist of this. I think people should take advantage of the collected knowledge we already have about the subject and learn from this rather than having to live the experience themselves. That's why the charts and videos on analysing dog behaviour are so helpful.

So someone needs TP be attacked first? How do you shoot an attacking dog without shooting the attacked? Attacks happen in micro seconds. Action needs to be taken before an attack happens.

This is why I'm weary about what dogs my little ones meet, too many "dog savvy"'m people have no idea about body language and think everything other than a full-on attack is fine...

Preventing an attack is alot better than having to respond to one. (i am speaking generally here) People who assess dog behaviour are sometimes criticised for failing a dog or seeking further assessment based on body language that to others was 'fine' and the dog 'didn't do anything'. You don't have to see the end result of a behaviour sequence to know where it is going when you know what you're looking at.

This isn't a breed thing for me either- i have 2 bull breed types in my home.

I love bull breeds, I got narky recently in a thread about them if you need something to prove I'm not biased. :laugh:

I really am interested as to what other people would have done? Would you have let the dog keep "playing" with the beagle? When that dog ran at you (and it did run, anyone saying it didn't is clearly having issues with their sight), would you have stood there and waited for it come over and have a cuddle? Do you realise that wiaintg that minute or so could mean a full scale attack? Yeah, maybe it wouldn't have been but how many of us would be willing to take that chance? And more so, why should the officer have to?

What are all these other options??

Edited by Aussie3

I really am interested as to what other people would have done? Would you have let the dog keep "playing" with the beagle? When that dog ran at you (and it did run, anyone saying it didn't is clearly having issues with their sight)

Thanks - but it turns out I am having PC probs and the YouTube video clips are skipping pieces/running haltingly. I suspect this is why this video footage didn't appear as it seems to have done to everyone else.

I love bull breeds, I got narky recently in a thread about them if you need something to prove I'm not biased. :laugh:

I really am interested as to what other people would have done? Would you have let the dog keep "playing" with the beagle? When that dog ran at you (and it did run, anyone saying it didn't is clearly having issues with their sight), would you have stood there and waited for it come over and have a cuddle? Do you realise that wiaintg that minute or so could mean a full scale attack? Yeah, maybe it wouldn't have been but how many of us would be willing to take that chance? And more so, why should the officer have to?

Firstly the officer is armed with a gun. Surely he didn't have to shoot as early as he did? Assuming the brindle dog did pull up short, why couldn't the officer using his gun for protection(or possibly pull out his pepper spray as an extra option/alternative) try and remove the beagle from the situation? As i've said in my previous posts, its impossible to conclusively judge the situation on that footage alone, but based soley on that footage, i would have thought there were other options.

p.s if you read through my posts on other threads you will see i have also been critical of a bullbreed(alledged) for ripping a greyhound apart, much to the disgust of some of these other posters who like to talk down their nose at you

So someone needs TP be attacked first? How do you shoot an attacking dog without shooting the attacked? Attacks happen in micro seconds. Action needs to be taken before an attack happens.

This is why I'm weary about what dogs my little ones meet, too many "dog savvy"'m people have no idea about body language and think everything other than a full-on attack is fine...

If that was aimed at me, perhaps you could point out where i said that?

I really am interested as to what other people would have done? Would you have let the dog keep "playing" with the beagle? When that dog ran at you (and it did run, anyone saying it didn't is clearly having issues with their sight)

Thanks - but it turns out I am having PC probs and the YouTube video clips are skipping pieces/running haltingly. I suspect this is why this video footage didn't appear as it seems to have done to everyone else.

Ah ok, Sorry I wasn't meaning to be rude Erny :)

Firstly the officer is armed with a gun. Surely he didn't have to shoot as early as he did? Assuming the brindle dog did pull up short, why couldn't the officer using his gun for protection(or possibly pull out his pepper spray as an extra option/alternative) try and remove the beagle from the situation? As i've said in my previous posts, its impossible to conclusively judge the situation on that footage alone, but based soley on that footage, i would have thought there were other options.

p.s if you read through my posts on other threads you will see i have also been critical of a bullbreed(alledged) for ripping a greyhound apart, much to the disgust of some of these other posters who like to talk down their nose at you

But if the dog didn't pull up it would have been too late is what I'm getting at. It's easy for us in hindsight to pick the video apart but in a real situation where the officer clearly felt in danger, I can't really blame him.

I do concede that pepper spray, if available, would have been my weapon of choice over the gun.

Ah ok, Sorry I wasn't meaning to be rude Erny :)

:whip:

Lol ... that's ok Aussie3.

Mind you - my eye sight is probably a bit wonky too, :laugh: .

Edited by Erny

Absolutely the actions were appropriate. The Beagle owner was unable to render any assistance to his dog. Lucky for the Beagle owner the dog was submissive , had it not have been it would probably have been killed.

The officer was well within their rights to shoot the dog.

If dogs were on my property, terrorising one of my dogs, they would certainly be disposed of.

They're not carrying sidearms designed to drop powerful large dogs. My guess is that was part of the issue.

a gun can kill a person.

It can certainly kill a dog if the shooters aim is good.

What a silly thing to say

Know a lot about firearms do you Flaves?

Where's the "kill shot" on a big dog with a 38 police issue revolver(pretty sure it was a revolver he used)? Please dont say the head. Dogs skulls are far stronger than ours. Dogs also don't stand upright, displaying their vital organs for a police officer trained to put a shot into the torso to get a fatal shot. They are also not really good at comprehending "stop or I'll shoot".

He needed a high calibre hunting rifle - he didn't have one. Results were what you saw.

FYI no police force I know has tranquiliser darts and rifles or the skill to estimate the appropriate dose on an animal at large in public. Generally only a vet would have that skill.

Tasers on the other hand? Very useful in these situations and they are used on dogs.

Guns kill well people with guns do. we know that

maybe the officer needed to take longer to aim?

I dont know other than he hit the dog twice and it was then squealing in pain

i was pretty sure when watching the vid the dog was side on when shot...surely shooting it from the side through the chest could have killed it?

I just think it could have been handled better