"senior" Dry Dog Food

wuffles

I have two dogs, one is a 7 year old large mixed breed and the other is a 2 year old Aussie. At the moment they are both fed Pro Plan Adult (plus bones, sardines, egg, mince, some tinned, etc).

Is there any reason to switch my 7 year old over to the Senior version of the food? It is marketed for 7 years+. My boy is a bit of an "old" 7 year old if that makes sense, but he is in good health and good condition and gets exercised daily. He gets Joint Guard added to his food because his hips are a bit questionable.

My thoughts are if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and it's more convenient for me to feed both dogs the same thing. I just wondered if anyone knew of good reasons to switch.

Edited by wuffles

I have two oldies, a 9 yo and an 11 yo, They are both fed mostly raw with either Canidae or Taste of the Wild grain free all ages kibble now and them. The oldest is on glucosamine supplements and metacam for arthritis.

IMO if your "senior" is doing well on the current diet, then leave well alone.

Nope and if you want to reduce calories as they slow down, then change to a lower fat formula. The sernior formulas are a con, they are supposed to offer supplements like glucosamine and chondroitin but the reailty is that none of them come even close to the daily dose required for joint support.

Edited by Pav Lova

This thread is perfect timing, my old girl turns 10 tomorrow and I was reading up on feeding senior dog food - one of the arguments against it is that some foods drop the protein levels, where some older dogs actually need more protein - I don't know much about the reasoning (still researching).

So I agree with Pav Lova - if it's keeping the weight off that is the issue, then a lower fat formula is the way to go.

Edited by superminty

:rofl: Me neither with Mac and Sarah Sheridan!

I haven't changed my guys to anything 'senior' - they still get their usual raw diet - and both Mac and Sarah's most recent blood tests were perfect and their weight is good.

So if yours are doing well on their usual diet I wouldn't change a thing! :)

Grumpy is 16, Mini is 10.

Grumpy is on Royal Canin Veterinary Sensitivity. Mini is on Holistic Select Fish. Neither are Senior food and I wouldn't dare tell them they're supposed to be seniors.

Minor high-jack - apologies OP - but Pav Lova do you know anything about the Hills B/D - supposed to be highly antioxidant for aging dogs and their brains - but you've got me wondering if that is a con too?? :confused:

Nope and if you want to reduce calories as they slow down, then change to a lower fat formula. The sernior formulas are a con, they are supposed to offer supplements like glucosamine and chondroitin but the reailty is that none of them come even close to the daily dose required for joint support.

Guest Clover

I currently have two dogs that according to their age are seniors, one is aging the other is a nut :laugh:. But they just get normal adult food when eating dry. But they also get fish oil and other supplements in their diet. If your dog is doing well then i would not change the diet.

Wuff if you feed a food that's got a reasonable protein content, doesn't make your older dog fat and you feed a joint supplement then I see little need to shift to a seniors formula.

One exception might be for a dog showing signs of senility and a friend of mine swears Hills B/D made a huge difference to her senior dog in that department. I have heard others say similar things.

Wuff if you feed a food that's got a reasonable protein content, doesn't make your older dog fat and you feed a joint supplement then I see little need to shift to a seniors formula.

One exception might be for a dog showing signs of senility and a friend of mine swears Hills B/D made a huge difference to her senior dog in that department. I have heard others say similar things.

Grumpy was on the B/D for some time but came off it when he had his bout of probably-not-well-maybe pancreatitis at Christmas. Haven't noticed any difference in him since but he is still on Vivitonin so the difference, if any, is probably negligible.