Breed Specific Humping...

Alfie02

Hi all :)

So we have a small problem with our 11 month old, desexed Ridgeback pup.

He is an amazing dog, loving, friendly, not dominant towards people or dogs, very much a follower. We go to the dog park and dog beach daily where he romps with other dogs and has a great time. Only recently our problem has started.....he will find a Labrador...and hump it! It goes so far as him swimming out into the water at the beach and humping the lab as it swims back to shore!

He doesnt hump any other breed of dog, only a lab (usually a yellow lab).

This also only happens at the beach. At the dog park he is the one who is getting humped by the other dogs. It seems like he gets over excited at the beach as he plays quite roughly at the beach but at the park he is gentle.

If anyone has any words of wisdom please let me know! We want this humping to stop!

He is an amazing dog, loving, friendly, not dominant towards people or dogs, very much a follower. We go to the dog park and dog beach daily where he romps with other dogs and has a great time. Only recently our problem has started.....he will find a Labrador...and hump it! It goes so far as him swimming out into the water at the beach and humping the lab as it swims back to shore!

This also only happens at the beach. At the dog park he is the one who is getting humped by the other dogs. It seems like he gets over excited at the beach as he plays quite roughly at the beach but at the park he is gentle.

If anyone has any words of wisdom please let me know! We want this humping to stop!

He cant' hump what he can't reach. Keep him on a long line until he has a reliable recall.

Went there once, decided he liked it, wants more :laugh:

Agree with others re building a stronger recall. If you see a yellow lab, get in first and call him to you before he has a chance. Some dogs will object, not always pretty. He may also decide to broaden his horizons.

Humping is dangerous because if he picks on a dog who won't tolerate the behaviour a fight may ensue. Your dog won't be popular with other dog owners either. Keep your dog on a leash or a long line and work on his recall.

Thanks for the replies :)

I know that it must be annoying for the other owners because we are so used to our dog being the one who gets humped, so we always grab him, say sorry and move away from the area where the dog is.

It looks like we will be getting out the long line again. And I have just bought some really smelly fish flavoured treats so that hopefully he will find the food more attractive than the dog when we call him to come.

He has been told off for playing too rough etc by other dogs and he responds immediately and slinks away knowing that he has gone too far. So do you think that this is a stage of his maturing? Like he is trying to assert his dominance and claim his rank of something? Should we be doing anything special at home if this is the case?

Also yes....it sounds funny....and the humping in the water was...well...halarious :laugh: ...but we must fix this! lol

The long line is great advise.

When I first read this thread my thoughts went straight to "yellow Lab" :laugh: , however, in my personal experience, it's the yellow Lab that is the "humper" and not the humped. ;)

Edited by LizT

So gentlemen really do prefer blondes ;)

I think you've got all the advice you need - vigilance, management, training.

re. the rough play, he could still be finding his social skills or he could be getting over-excited. Wouldn't hurt to interrupt play regularly to calm things down.

we have that sort of humping in our house too except...

the girl dally humps the boy dally..... :rofl:

oh and the small ones hump the boy dally..... :rofl: really i think the spotty boy seems to be toooo pretty...

i do say we are an equal oportunity house hold... hence the reverse humping! :D :rofl:

I wouldn't find it hilarious if he did that to one of my dogs, and I doubt it would be terribly funny if another dog took offense and decided to teach your dog some manners. It is not well tolerated by most dogs.

Another vote for keeping him leashed.

Yes, I understand that we need to work on it, that is why I asked for some advice, just didnt know where to start.

I wouldn't have thought it so hilarious if the labs owners weren't standing next to us giggling because it is usually their dog that humps others. My partner actually swam out to grab our dog off and reprimand him.

I agree that dogs humping one another is unacceptable behavior, but in reality, when you have lots of dogs that are excited, together in one place, one dog is going to hump another. It is when that happens that it is the owners responsibly to be vigilant and take their dog away.

voloclydes, it sounds like you have a very pretty boy on your hands :D

Edited by Alfie02

Guest donatella

He goes for the blondes, good taste ;)