Sydney Weather & Fleas

MadWoofter

I have just been to the vet with Fleming who has had a really bad itch for the last few days. It turns out that the problem is fleas, even though he is regularly treated for them.

So just a heads up to those in the Sydney area, this humid rainy weather is apparently a boom environment for fleas. If you're regularly treating your dog for fleas but they're getting a bit itchy, don't rule out fleas as a cause, as I found out.

With another month of the same weather, the problem's not going to end any time soon either :(

We have never had the flea problem like we have had this year.

We use Advantix because of the high tick area that we live in.

After a lot of reading and deliberation we resorted to Confortis. That is just over a week ago and all is good. :crossfingers:

I have just been to the vet with Fleming who has had a really bad itch for the last few days. It turns out that the problem is fleas, even though he is regularly treated for them.

So just a heads up to those in the Sydney area, this humid rainy weather is apparently a boom environment for fleas. If you're regularly treating your dog for fleas but they're getting a bit itchy, don't rule out fleas as a cause, as I found out.

With another month of the same weather, the problem's not going to end any time soon either :(

thanks for the warning, but its a bit late!!! lol, mine have been on comfortis for 2 months, and being bathed EVERY week, and i still find the occassional flea.

These little buggers will be the death of me at this rate, I've treated my trio every 2 weeks with Advantix to try and stop the blue ticks and the fleas but we're lucky if we get that long out of it. I may need to resort to comfortis if it doesn't get any better.

Agree about treating the environment and the fact that most forget about this very important thing.

Even when rescuing, I managed to avoid a flea problem. My dogs are still flea free thankfully.

Pav,

Can you advise what rate of application for the lime, and how long after application before it's Ok for the dogs to be back on the lawn?

Thanks

We advise to do it when you are expecting some rain, or while it's raining. Use a rubber glove and sprinkle it around. If you have a fine fertiliser dispenser you can do it that way ( it's easier ). If no rain is expected, then lightly hose it in. Some dogs can have reactions to it, most are fine.

Check which plants are sensitive in your garden and avoid burning those.